Oh, bollocks ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Oh, bollocks ...

Post by TheBrownDog »

My lovely new 650B+ wheels from KeepPedalling turned up last week and I spent a few frustrating hours trying to get some very cheap WTB Bridgers on them. Gave up, Bought some Vittoria Cannoli's which arrived earlier in the week and I finally had some time yesterday morning to get them on.

They were also quite tight, but just needed a bit of hot air from a hair drier to loosen them up enough to get them on with my thumbs. Both front and rear seated nicely first time with my Airshot and soapy water, though they also both leaked quite a bit from the rim joint and the old tubeless valves I put in which were all I had.

Ok, let's get them both off again, clean them up and put in some electric tape across the rim joint, plus a wrap over the spokes for fun, and then a layer of rim tape. And get some new Muc Off valves from t'Amazon delivered very quickly. Belt n braces.

Chucked it altogether once more, nice day for it too, radio on, sunshine in the garden. Back on first, no drama, went up and stayed up. Front on equally quickly and sound too.

Right, let's go for a ride. I put the wheels on to the bike, flipped it over and ... this. Yep. Front is on backwards. Bum. Arse. Poop. I went for a ride anyway it was fine but my CDO wont let me live with it. Will get to it later. Sigh.

I'm just going outside ...
arkay

Re: Oh, bollocks ...

Post by arkay »

It always seemed more logical to me to put front tyres on “backwards”, given that they need to grip while decelerating, while the rear tyre needs to grip more while accelerating.

Nowadays I tend to just follow the arrow direction though.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Universal motorbike tyres like Avon Roadrunners used to have opposing directional arrows depending on whether it was front or rear wheel mounted. I always assumed this was more to do with carcas construction resisting the torque as the tread seemed symetrical/ uni-directional / same in both directions, whatever the correct word is.
psling

Post by psling »

Might be easier to slacken off the spokes and flip the hub :lol: :wink:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Ahem - OCD ;)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

belugabob wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:24 pm Ahem - OCD ;)
No. CDO.

It's like OCD, but all of the letters are.in.the.right.order!!
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Just spin the forks 180°.

TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:07 pm
No. CDO.

Thank you Colin. Yes. Aplha order. The idiots who defined OCD clearly never really understood.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:07 pm
No. CDO.

:-bd

But it's 'disorder',surely ;)
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Actually done exactly the same in the past, just couldn't look at it like that, had to sort it, so MTFU and just fix it man! ~X( ~X(

BTW, fancy catching up some point?
Never knowingly under biked...
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Rich3rd wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:55 pm Actually done exactly the same in the past, just couldn't look at it like that, had to sort it, so MTFU and just fix it man! ~X( ~X(

BTW, fancy catching up some point?
I'll get to it mate.

Do you fancy a little local jaunt round mine? Do that easy route from Chalfont St Giles round Hodgemoor and back to the Harte & Maggies for dinner then kip in that same spot? I've not been in there for nearly two years. Or we could maybe do the horse yard loop I put together last year. CSG kick off, then through Hodgemoor, over to Penn, up to Hyde Heath and back down to Chenies for dinner at the Red Lion. Not been in there for about four years but Im sure it's still a good un.