Why eTrex Over Edge?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alpinum

Re: Why eTrex Over Edge?

Post by Alpinum »

Richard G wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:20 am I've used an Edge for walking. Doubt it would survive a drop, but with me that's more likely to happen on the bike. ;)
Mine has seen some crashes and many drops onto hard surfaces without any kind of protective cover except for a screen protector.

It takes a serious amount of beating.

Definately much more then any mobile/smart phone I had 'till now. Concerning this I feel the Edge to be comparable to eTrex etc.
Once protected by a rubber cover, it will take much more beating obv.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Are you edge users using some form of carabiner type thing to attach to an edge bracket?

The Oregon has a neat little holder on the back that allows you to add another clip with a carabiner on, I then clip this to a rucksack strap. I always have maps with me anyway, but having the GPS is often handy
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

benp1 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:33 pm Are you edge users using some form of carabiner type thing to attach to an edge bracket?
I have a thin cable that runs through the slot on the Edge, and that in turn is attached to a carabiner.

I use it when on my bike to stop it flinging off somewhere if I crash.

Edit - It seems they've made the slot smaller on newer Edge models, so you may just be limited to something like this: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-010-1 ... VZXM&psc=1
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

The newer Edges come with a nice tether that fits in the slot, which you could then attach to a carabiner/Prince Albert/loop of your choice.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

I chose the Etrex , primarily, for the convenience of being able to get hold of AA batteries anywhere (even though I've only had to do this once, because I forgot the spares, I was very grateful of the option)
The only disadvantage - albeit one that doesn't particularly affect my pattern of usage, is the inability to send routes to the Etrex wirelessly. I'm baffled why this isn't possible, as it receives SMS/app notifications from the phone.

On a side note, when the Etrex is powered up, it spends quite a while "loading photos" - does anybody have any idea where it's attempting to load them from?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

benp1 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:33 pm Are you edge users using some form of carabiner type thing to attach to an edge bracket?
Just the
In Reverse wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 5:09 pm nice tether that fits in the slot, which you could then attach to a carabiner/Prince Albert/loop of your choice.
which I wrap around the bar and loop the device through. No mini biner. Original Garmin mount is slung on around the stem. In case of a crash, it gives way. Well mostly... I had one crash where the bike went into the rocks upside down, smashing around on the bar and this gave the GPS a nasty hit which cracked the screen. Still works well (no water/dust ingress) and could be sent in, but it doesn't bother me enough.