BG Duro/ GB Divide

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: BG Duro/ GB Divide

Post by sean_iow »

Shewie wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:43 pm Is the GB Divide more off road than the GB Duro? Just wondering if gravel bikes are more suited to the Duro?
Aren't they exactly the same, from the website

The GB Divide is a ~2,000km self-supported gravel bikepacking Individual Time Trail (ITT) route from Land's End to John O'Groats taking in some of the best riding and scenery the UK has to offer. It was made by The Racing Collective and is the route used for GBDURO.

Hence the confusion as they are also both on this month :???:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

One you pay to ride, the other's free - why would you pay? :???:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

sean_iow wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:02 pm
Shewie wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:43 pm Is the GB Divide more off road than the GB Duro? Just wondering if gravel bikes are more suited to the Duro?
Aren't they exactly the same, from the website

The GB Divide is a ~2,000km self-supported gravel bikepacking Individual Time Trail (ITT) route from Land's End to John O'Groats taking in some of the best riding and scenery the UK has to offer. It was made by The Racing Collective and is the route used for GBDURO.

Hence the confusion as they are also both on this month :???:
Ah, I hadn't looked at the route before last week, but they kicked the Divide off in Salisbury this year?

EDIT: I meant Canterbury not Salisbury, see it doesn't take much to confuse me
Last edited by Shewie on Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete68

Post by pete68 »

Not the same route at all. This gbdivide race started in Canterbury and is finishing at Applecross. GBDURO is lands end to John o groats. I think the confusion is that there is a route called the gb divide, which the gbduro follows, but the gbdivide race doesn't.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not the same route at all. This gbdivide race started in Canterbury and is finishing at Applecross. GBDURO is lands end to John o groats. I think the confusion is that there is a route called the gb divide, which the gbduro follows, but the gbdivide race doesn't.
It just gets more confusing :wink:
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

This is very confusing. It appears that there is a Great British divide and a GB divide and they are different routes.

https://greatbritishdivide.com/

https://www.gbdivide.net/
May satan walk with you
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm the GB Divide, and so's my wife!
Verena

Post by Verena »

See, told you it's confusing 😃.
Verena

Post by Verena »

14 riders left out of 46 who started.
The route shortened now and finish moved to Fort William, due to deteriorating/dangerous conditions - in August!!!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Dangerous conditions?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I bet it's midges.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

:lol: :lol:
Karl

Post by Karl »

What were the dangerous conditions? Was it the thunderstorms? I was looking to see how bad it was and it seems okay. Down in the Peaks the weather over the last couple of days has been biblical and anyone continuing in weather like that has my upmost respect (been there, done that, got the wet t-shirt).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't quite understand - if conditions are dangerous, then shouldn't proceedings be halted while those conditions persist, rather than carrying on but reducing the route length ... obviously, I think I may be missing something here?
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

This is from their IG page.

Chris our first place rider encountered some significant and dangerous challenges on parts of the route near Loch Lomond last night and this morning.

With the weather continuing to be dreadful, conditions are worsening and as a result of this and in the interest of all riders safety, physical and mental well-being we have taken the decision to remove this section of the route with a diversion from Drymen to Callendar and then to Crianlarich where the riders re-join the West Highland Way.

Then official finish and point, at which the clock stops is now at Fort William at the end of the WHW. We have deemed this to be the fairest locations to end the event for all of our riders and removes elements such as ferry crossings from the route. The weather has been dreadful from the first night and with no immediate end to that for the riders on the route in the North this is the best option.

All riders are welcome to continue along the route or by a route of their choice to meet at Applecross if they so wish and we will be there to welcome them again!
May satan walk with you
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yep, I was missing something :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There was significant flooding around Glasgow area over the weekend so I can imagine some of the river crossings might be challenging. Mind you, some would argue that the northern Loch Lomond section is never a stroll in the park and always entails a risk of falling into the loch!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-58136344

It's not been particularly wet near us but that's a wee bit further north and east so maybe not a good comparison.