Apidura water bladder

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Scud

Apidura water bladder

Post by Scud »

Probably more for the racers, but a bit better looking than the plastic "fuel tank" looking frame water carrier, whadda we reckon?

https://www.apidura.com/shop/frame-pack ... 593ZruEIeg
GregMay

Re: Apidura water bladder

Post by GregMay »

I’m interested enough that I’ve ordered one. I’ve run a long narrow bladder in my half frame bag for long races (TDR etc) and really liked it. But the shape always irritates me. This, may work well at getting the centre of gravity of a lump of water down really low!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

That does look interesting. I stopped using my full frame bag as it meant relocating the bottles.

I can get 2 x 500ml bottles in under my half frame bag. I think I could get 1.5L in that bladder AND more capacity above it in the rest of the full bag. I'll have to dig out the full bag and have a measure up.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
benp1

Post by benp1 »

This is what everyone has been waiting for. Should have been made available sooner than this, the only option that's similarish is the hard plastic standalone container
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Can see a lot of sense in this. If I needed a new bladder, I'd be tempted. But I'm not sure I'd gain enough vs. a normal bladder stuffed in the bottom of my frame bag to make it worth it. Not an elegant solution, and perhaps not as stable, but still...
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Good idea, but as I use my frame bag for heavy bits, tools, tent pegs and poles etc I’d be worried about puncturing it.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Agreed. Amazing breakthrough. Wish it came in 2L flavours. My 3L I usually fill up to 2.5L so this should/might do me a good job (as long as that tube is long enough.

Thanks Scud
Scud

Post by Scud »

One thing, i guess it places the weight of the water at the best place, middle and low, on the bike too, more i think about it, actually it is no just for the racers..
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I really like that but shouldn't the hose be fitted at the very bottom?
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Great design especially the removable hose. I'd prevent punctures with a layer of Baby Bels
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:46 pm Great design especially the removable hose. I'd prevent punctures with a layer of Baby Bels
You can get an adapter from Camelbak to make any hose removable - quite useful.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Amazing breakthrough
Is it really though? Is it not simply a better fitting bladder? Most of us will still need to unpack / repack our frame bags in order to fill it unless we purchase a specific frame bag.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:23 pm
Amazing breakthrough
Is it really though? Is it not simply a better fitting bladder? Most of us will still need to unpack / repack our frame bags in order to fill it unless we purchase a specific frame bag.
I bet there's an Apidura one it fits perfectly.

It would certainly be a struggle getting it into my Lomo frame bag, even when empty. Some way of using the hose to fill it up in situ might help.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:23 pm Is it really though? Is it not simply a better fitting bladder? Most of us will still need to unpack / repack our frame bags in order to fill it unless we purchase a specific frame bag.
Should slot straight into any of the older Revelate bags that have double straps. Or the Spearfish Wildcat one I have, which is the plan.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

From Apidura via bikepacking.com

The hose connection location has been chosen for optimum flow rate (it reduces the risk of kinking). The bladder is soft, so compresses as it empties and all of our testers were able to empty the bladder by suction alone with this layout. Our extensive testing showed that gravity is less of an issue than flow rate, as long as the bladder is compressible.

https://bikepacking.com/news/apidura-fr ... n-bladder/
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Surprised no-one has uttered the Barnsley war cry. HOW MUCH!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The bladder is soft, so compresses as it empties
Meaning all the other items in your frame bag then start to rattle about :-bd
Should slot straight into any of the older Revelate bags that have double straps. Or the Spearfish Wildcat one I have, which is the plan.
Yep, I'm sure they'll fit inside many frame bags Greg but my point was more about needing to unpack / repack to fill it ... I appreciate just how much will depend on the frame bag in question.
Great design especially the removable hose.
Would a frame bag with a completely and easy to access separate bladder compartment not be a better design?

I know I sound like I'm knocking it but it's just that it's a triangular bladder, Shaf calling it a 'breakthrough' kinda made it sound like world peace was on the way :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

It would work in my wildcat bag with a horizontal divider but in a big single compartment bag as you drink; stuff in the bag will sink. Guess it depends on what you carry in yr frame bag. I use a normal bladder in the front compartment of my other wildcat bag and it works fine.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

When stu rates a new product I am hot footing it to London to ring the Lutine Bell 😀👍
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
arkay

Post by arkay »

Someone ought to invent a bike frame that makes use of all that wasted space inside the tubes. Think how much water you could fit inside a nice chunky alu frame :-bd

Cleaning it out might be an issue though, I suppose. Drop a Milton tablet down the seat tube once every few months and shake.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Someone ought to invent a bike frame that makes use of all that wasted space inside the tubes. Think how much water you could fit inside a nice chunky alu frame :-bd
I recall Moots did that.
arkay

Post by arkay »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:06 pm
I recall Moots did that.
There really is nothing left to invent. :sad:

https://www.cyclingabout.com/moots-snoots-fat-bike/

What’s special about the Snoots is that it has liquid storage INSIDE the frame tubes. Fuel, water, whisky – you name it. The inputs are located at the highest possible point, and small taps are found at the lowest.

JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

GregMay wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:19 pm I’m interested enough that I’ve ordered one............... and really liked it. But the shape always irritates me.
Me too,
I like how they give you a template to cut out and try against your frame bag before you press buy
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

JohnClimber wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:57 pm I like how they give you a template to cut out and try against your frame bag before you press buy
How did I not spot that, job for work tomorrow to print one of them.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Mine arrived today and I must say it's bloody brilliant.

If you over fill it a little the velco is tricky to stick down, but once the 4ft of pipe is in place (about a foot longer than is needed at the bars) and you've sucked the air and the extra water out if it and once it's in place in the bottom of the frame bag (space under mine for a tool and CO2 cylinders) it's brilliant.
It's amazing how much space that you get above it where the top of a normal round opening of an oval shaped camel back bladder would be clogging up the top of the frame bag.

Well worth trying out.