Etrex 22x

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

outonmybike

Etrex 22x

Post by outonmybike »

HI folks

I'm a newbie to the BB site and i've only biked long distance trails with paper maps! Went from Fort Augustus over Torridon up to Ullapool and onto Cape Wrath with OS maps in my bag but think i should join the 21st C with a Garmin. Ive got a place on the October BB 200 as a wanted a new challenge this year and I've been pointed in the direction of a Garmin Etrex 22x (by Ian in Blazing Saddles bike shop in Hebden Bridge). My question is about the use of TOPO GB 1:25 or 1:50 maps. I believe the Etrex 22x comes loaded with these but i've never used them. Would they get me around the BB200 route? If not how do i get the OS maps i'm more used to using? Do I buy SD card and then, once i have an Etrex 22x, upload OS maps from the WWW? Thanks for any pointers.
Adrian
Halifax, West Yorkshire
Lazarus

Re: Etrex 22x

Post by Lazarus »

I have sent you a personal message
slarge

Post by slarge »

An Etrex 22x will see you round the BB200 no problem. In my experience of GPS's the actual map can be unimportant - it is your position relative to the GPS route line that can be important. However it can be useful to see some of the surrounding information on the map - but you only get a 2" square, so this is quite limited. Upcoming junctions and knowing which path to take is a good example here, or knowing how far away the top of the hill is. With a paper map you tend to know where you are in relation to the surrounding features - GPS's can remove this ability and can make navigation very lazy. They're great, but they do have a downside.....

The BB200 is likely to be an event where the path on the ground is not always the path on the map..... (or maybe that should read as "the path on the map might not exist on the ground")
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

OS base maps are probably your best bet but Garmin rip you off for map cards. Knock off ones are available...
Free mapping is another option like 'talky toaster' I think you can find it from the Openstreetmap website. The standard garmin topo has too little detail to be of much use.
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

I made it round the BB200 last year with an Etrex10 (just shows the route line with no mapping background) so a 22x with maps should see you round fine.
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I personally find OS mapping on small screen GPS units too busy despite loving the paper maps.
For my Garmin I use the simpler OSM based maps and find them more than adequate for follow a crumb trail on trips such as BB200.
In addition I’ll have offline OS 1:25,000 for the relevant area in my phone for cross checking details if needed.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:57 pm I personally find OS mapping on small screen GPS units too busy despite loving the paper maps.

I find Talkytoaster 25k maps very good.
Now only if.. Harvey did 25k maps for garmin. That'll be perfect, the additional terrain details by shading boggy ground etc.
lune ranger wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:57 pm OS 1:25,000 for the relevant area in my phone for cross checking details if needed.
I have taken screen grapes of os maps, view as a picture you can really zoom in, until your a pixel peeper! I stich screen grabs Together with map stitcher android app.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:57 pm I personally find OS mapping on small screen GPS units too busy despite loving the paper maps.

I find Talkytoaster 25k maps very good.
Now only if.. Harvey did 25k maps for garmin. That'll be perfect, the additional terrain details by shading boggy ground etc.
lune ranger wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:57 pm OS 1:25,000 for the relevant area in my phone for cross checking details if needed.
I have taken screen grabs/(snapshots) of os maps, view as a picture you can really zoom in, until your a pixel peeper! I stich screen grabs Together with mapstitcher (Bimostich, Zambia) android app
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

For my Garmin I use the simpler OSM based maps and find them more than adequate for follow a crumb trail on trips such as BB200.
In addition I’ll have offline OS 1:25,000 for the relevant area in my phone for cross checking details if needed.