Bearbonesnorm

Re: Tom! Pidcock!

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm impressed he can pedal at all with that down his shorts .. good lad :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

All we need now is someone who can bike off a diving board to gold medal standard and we'll clean up :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
arkay

Post by arkay »

I was pondering if there is a particular reason GB tends to do well at "sitting down sports". Cycling, rowing, horse-riding, sailing... basically anything that involves extended periods of discomfort while sitting on your backside, we're world leaders :-bd
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

arkay wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:47 am I was pondering if there is a particular reason GB tends to do well at "sitting down sports". Cycling, rowing, horse-riding, sailing... basically anything that involves extended periods of discomfort while sitting on your backside, we're world leaders :-bd
The thing they all have in common is not the sitting down, it's the fact you need expensive equipment to do them. I've often wondered of the Kenyans would clean up in cycling like they do in long distance running if they had a generation that had been riding bikes since childhood?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
jobro

Post by jobro »

The thing they all have in common is not the sitting down, it's the fact you need expensive equipment to do them. I've often wondered of the Kenyans would clean up in cycling like they do in long distance running if they had a generation that had been riding bikes since childhood?
A number of pundits have predicted just that. The first black African tdf winner when??
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I hadn't realised how short XC races are. I knew stuff like the SXC series were all around the 30k mark but I thought something like this would be 50 plus. Why aren't they 100k+?!
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

They split XC into different disciplines a few years ago. XCO (XC Olympic) is designed to take about an hour, just like cyclocross. The distance isn’t a consideration. XCM is more akin to what you want.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

That's 2 Ineos riders that can wear a gold helmet when racing. The trip over the bars from Matteu Van De Poel was very dramatic, surprised he carried on. There didn't seem to be an alternative to that section, the course was pretty brutal I could see why full suspension was de regeur.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

pistonbroke wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:23 pm That's 2 Ineos riders that can wear a gold helmet when racing. The trip over the bars from Matteu Van De Poel was very dramatic, surprised he carried on. There didn't seem to be an alternative to that section, the course was pretty brutal I could see why full suspension was de regeur.
The practice days had a wooden ramp down it but they took it away for the race, MvdP didn’t get the memo unfortunately :oops:
Attachments
0DF5EC6E-ED25-4282-BF98-6B123EA1E170.jpeg
0DF5EC6E-ED25-4282-BF98-6B123EA1E170.jpeg (166.02 KiB) Viewed 1847 times
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Another bad day for the Dutch after the womens road race cock up.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Properly big drop for an XC course that. Fair play.

Amazing job by Pidcock, beast. Shame we didn't get to see the showdown we expected with him and MvdP.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ouch
That's a fair old step down for an xc race. According to cycling weekly he had been told the ramp was gone.....
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Just watched the replay of the first lap, 29th on the grid to 4th just behind VdP as he stacked it. His avoiding action was so cool and the rest of the race where he was so smooth and seemed to be cruising with the best riders in the world breathing out of their backsides. Absolute stellar performance, pity the BBC can't seem to even get his name right, maybe he should fit in an appearance on Strictly before he does anything else.
psling

Post by psling »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:57 am I've often wondered of the Kenyans would clean up in cycling like they do in long distance running if they had a generation that had been riding bikes since childhood?
Like Froomey you mean? :wink:
RIP wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:29 am All we need now is someone who can bike off a diving board to gold medal standard and we'll clean up :-bd

:grin:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

htrider wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:13 pm I hadn't realised how short XC races are. I knew stuff like the SXC series were all around the 30k mark but I thought something like this would be 50 plus. Why aren't they 100k+?!
It would be boring, hard to keep track of, impossible to film or all three. 100km of a course like that would be a last man standing effort.

Better to watch a short all out race rather than a drawn out paced one with sprint finish.

Thrilled for TP, gutted for poor old MVDP, looked a nasty drop to take "blind". :o
RIP

Post by RIP »

psling wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:50 pm
RIP wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:29 am All we need now is someone who can bike off a diving board to gold medal standard and we'll clean up :-bd

:grin:
Bit prescient of me that was - I posted it before I knew about the ramp which turned into a diving board!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

htrider wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:13 pm I hadn't realised how short XC races are. I knew stuff like the SXC series were all around the 30k mark but I thought something like this would be 50 plus. Why aren't they 100k+?!
There is. It's called XCM - cross country marathon racing.

Races used to be 3hrs ish - they were terrible to watch, boring courses, favoured endurance over speed. We've thankfully moved away from all that nonsense in the past 15 years.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

GregMay wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:53 pm

Races used to be 3hrs ish - they were terrible to watch, boring courses, favoured endurance over speed. We've thankfully moved away from all that nonsense in the past 15 years.
It seems to work for road racing... RE the courses, I agree my last attempt at an XC race could have easily been done on a gravel bike. But is that not then a case to make the courses better? Seems a shame that it boils down to spectators needs rather than providing a challenge for the competitors thats a bit more than a mad thrash round a trail centre.
I guess thats why a fair few XC racers have moved onto bikepacking ITT's...
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

htrider wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:26 pm
GregMay wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:53 pm

It seems to work for road racing... RE the courses, I agree my last attempt at an XC race could have easily been done on a gravel bike. But is that not then a case to make the courses better? Seems a shame that it boils down to spectators needs rather than providing a challenge for the competitors thats a bit more than a mad thrash round a trail centre.
I guess thats why a fair few XC racers have moved onto bikepacking ITT's...
Road racing is much easier to film logistically and even a boring TDF race usually passes through some scenery that can distract the viewer, it also helps not doing the same lap dozens of times.

The Olympics is all about the spectators needs, as are the world cups really, hence the big logos over everyone's jerseys.

I get your point about challenge but look at that drop up there... I'd push my bike 200km to avoid doing that.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

voodoo_simon wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:44 pm
pistonbroke wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 12:23 pm That's 2 Ineos riders that can wear a gold helmet when racing. The trip over the bars from Matteu Van De Poel was very dramatic, surprised he carried on. There didn't seem to be an alternative to that section, the course was pretty brutal I could see why full suspension was de regeur.
The practice days had a wooden ramp down it but they took it away for the race, MvdP didn’t get the memo unfortunately :oops:
That simply wouldn't have been allowed. When the course is open for official practice it must be as it is for the race.
The course can change naturally, but man-made features like that can't be altered after practice and before the race.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Here is a video from the 2019 test event below. No ladder in place and this would also be the case for the full race. Maybe, potentially, it was there for a course walk - but not for official practice.

https://youtu.be/DUIqbTG4hKE?t=449
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:20 pm Cycling weekly think it did

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/math ... o-olympics
They are wrong. Either something is lost in translation or MDVP chose not to practice the course.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Cycling weekly quote him

Mathieu van der Poel says he didn't know a ramp on the mountain bike course during practice laps, situated on the downhill section where he crashed, would be removed for the actual race.

He clearly says Practice Laps, unless they've miss-quoted him or they just made it up?

Not there in the video though, maybe someone put it back sometime in the last 2 years? Perhaps you should have sent the video link to the Dutch team :grin: