I know you all love an expensive adventure

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: I know you all love an expensive adventure

Post by jameso »

Mr conners wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:20 am Can you imagine the testosterone fuelled twattery on display.
To be fair that's big part of why I stopped doing road sportives and they were only a tenner or so at the time. I think blokes in general are a bigger problem than the event cost or format :)
Edit to add, thinking of WRT or similar easy going rides, event formats do attract types don't they. So I get your point..
Last edited by jameso on Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

RIP wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:59 am OK, you can fess up now without any comeback or pisstaking - who's registered an interest then?
Yeah ... I'm in. Looks great and I deserve a break. I reckon I can walk the route with my little dog and manage the miles each day. Dead easy. Trouble being I need sponsors because I dont have £15k to spunk against this sort of arsehat inspired venal gobshite. F@ck me ... what have we come to?
I'm just going outside ...
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

It's OK: the entry fee includes one's very own sponsored athlete, to whom one may delegate the hard work, whilst tracking his or her dot from the passenger seat of one's "not-quite-space" craft. :wink:
May you always have tail wind.
slarge

Post by slarge »

It's a cracking sales job on that website though. I got quite sucked in to it.

Then I thought that we could just turn up and do it anyway, stop in a bivvy bag in a ditch and dine on discarded Michelin star foodscraps
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

slarge wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:37 pm It's a cracking sales job on that website though. I got quite sucked in to it.

Then I thought that we could just turn up and do it anyway, stop in a bivvy bag in a ditch and dine on discarded Michelin star foodscraps
Steve... I put in an 'email of interest'. But the response (a rapid one as expected) was asking me to leave my number so they can call me to have a chat. They're ex special forces though so I've left it there and don't wish to rub them up the wrong way...

If they can get rich folks to pay £15k for an ultra (type) thing then good for them...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

slarge wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:37 pm It's a cracking sales job on that website though. I got quite sucked in to it.

Good call
It gives quite a lot of the route details so we could easily gate crash this

Wasn't there a load of stuff in the press a number of years ago about these zero to hero training regimes for running things and the number of people who do them and then have a heart attack?
Boab

Post by Boab »

It's made the Beeb website now...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57975285
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

You have to "request an invitation" so I doubt that many boners would get in
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

If you have the money they will take it from any source
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Literally cannot get my head round it.

I suspect a large amount of the entry fees will go to pay for the celebrity company at the celebratory banquet. I can't imagine Fiennes (?) is cheap.

Agree with others, has shades of Fyre Festival - though I have no idea whether it really does or not.

:???:
arkay

Post by arkay »

Based on the launches and subsequent vanishings without trace of some other overpriced packaged "adventures" recently, I doubt if this thing will actually go ahead. PR stunt perhaps?
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

arkay wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:49 pm Based on the launches and subsequent vanishings without trace of some other overpriced packaged "adventures" recently, I doubt if this thing will actually go ahead. PR stunt perhaps?
But a PR stunt for who, or what?
It is however a very bizarre event concept.
arkay

Post by arkay »

mattpage wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:39 pm
But a PR stunt for who, or what?
It is however a very bizarre event concept.
That I can't answer. Maybe they are compiling an email list of rich and gullible people with an interest in outdoorsy stuff - it's a valuable asset to have!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

This has popped back into my periphery:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/ex ... -goatfell/

Hanging's too good for 'em, or storm in a jealousy-spiked teacup? No, it has to be one or the other, there's no middle ground, this is the internet for god's sake :wink:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Why can’t people admit when they’ve f**ked up?
W**kers.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

A few points
- isn’t the race in September 2023? So why mark it now?
-They haven’t got many followers on social media, I know that’s not an indicator but seems odd…
-Commemts are restricted on social media (at leat on the ‘gram), which again, seems odd(ish)

Edit - my mistake, the event is on but not a single picture of the start line or finish line with competitors. Strikes me of being a bit like ‘Rich Energy’ in F1 but different

Edit 2 - just looked at the tags on the ‘gram and there’s not a single hashtag from a competitor in either the build up (they promise 7 months training programme) or on the race. Very odd in my humble of humblest opinions :lol:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Anyone who uses the phrase "Moving forward" is going on my shitlist, regardless of how biodegradable their chalk is.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:28 pm This has popped back into my periphery:

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/news/ex ... -goatfell/

Hanging's too good for 'em, or storm in a jealousy-spiked teacup? No, it has to be one or the other, there's no middle ground, this is the internet for god's sake :wink:
That seems a truly rubbish approach. No one is entitled to go painting (or chalking) the countryside for their own profit or any other reason really.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:31 pm A few points
- isn’t the race in September 2023? So why mark it now?
-They haven’t got many followers on social media, I know that’s not an indicator but seems odd…
-Commemts are restricted on social media (at leat on the ‘gram), which again, seems odd(ish)

Edit - my mistake, the event is on but not a single picture of the start line or finish line with competitors. Strikes me of being a bit like ‘Rich Energy’ in F1 but different

Edit 2 - just looked at the tags on the ‘gram and there’s not a single hashtag from a competitor in either the build up (they promise 7 months training programme) or on the race. Very odd in my humble of humblest opinions :lol:
https://www.trailrunningmag.co.uk/artic ... a-runners/

It's already finished.

The paintjob isn't a very good advert for the Garmins they were all getting as part of the entry fee.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Anyone watched that doc about the Fyre Festival?…..
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

That trailMag report reads more like an advertBS type of thing. But I could be wrong.. :smile:
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

I've used these types of spray the yellow lurks around for ages, the white visually disappears quicker

As the article points out it has no place in a SSSI

The event is obviously ticking a few people's boxes who have suitably deep pockets

Might I suggest they go for some wool tartan tied to wooden skewers next year, they could commission their own special one
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

face down in a ditch, dead, with their best friends ,
Now, where have I heard this, before...?
riderdown

Post by riderdown »

regardless of how biodegradable their chalk is
The colour is only one issue with it, chalk is alkaline and will raise soil pH and therefore improve nutrient take up which changes the species mix, which is important in a SSSI.

Same problems with dog poo which can raise soil phosphate levels above what farmers can legally fertilize up to.

What it probably indicates is that a couple of their clients got lost on previous legs (and vented at the team) and need navigation handholds.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Were there more than a couple of "clients" taking part? Seems to be only 2 runners in all the photos....