Flat bar conversion

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AndyTheBikeGuy

Flat bar conversion

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

I want to convert from drop bar - 1x11 SRAM rival hydraulic to flat bar on my monster crosser to give a bit more control on descents.

My current thinking is to just buy a whole new groupset/brakes but I wondered if anyone knew if it was possible to use SRAM mtb levers with the rival callipers that are on there now and if so which ones would work?

Also I presume the s700 trigger shifter will work with the existing rival mech?
Lazarus

Re: Flat bar conversion

Post by Lazarus »

the shifter works
I thught road and mTB disc cablebrakes had different pulls - no idea if hydraulics can be swapped out - I assume there is more value[cheaper] in selling what you have and getting MTB brakes than swapping levers
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Alternatively what about one of the extra wide dropbars? I’ve a curve walmer bar on my Fargo, it’s 55cm at the hoods and 70cm total. Coupled with a shorter stem I think it surprised a few people in the lakes. They even do one at 60/75cm.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Lazarus wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:17 pm the shifter works
I thught road and mTB disc cablebrakes had different pulls - no idea if hydraulics can be swapped out - I assume there is more value[cheaper] in selling what you have and getting MTB brakes than swapping levers
Thought of doing this but I think in future I might want to switch back for long trips.
BigdummySteve wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:04 pm Alternatively what about one of the extra wide dropbars? I’ve a curve walmer bar on my Fargo, it’s 55cm at the hoods and 70cm total. Coupled with a shorter stem I think it surprised a few people in the lakes. They even do one at 60/75cm.
I thought about that but I haven’t gotten on with flared bars and i think I’d prefer a traditional flatbar for the rare occasions I really need to pick my way down something rocky.