Why?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Why?

Post by JohnClimber »

I'm sure I know most of the answers why....

But....

Why is it not recommend that we blow up air mattresses by mouth?

Cheers
Asking for a friend
whitestone

Re: Why?

Post by whitestone »

1. Prevents moisture getting inside the mat.

2. I run out of puff :oops:

3. It's fun to say Schnozzle :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

1b. Moisture can lead to degradation of the materials, leading to a lack of airtightness.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Depends how good you are blowing things up at bedtime really.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
psling

Post by psling »

RIP wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:50 pm Depends how good you are blowing things up at bedtime really.
Landslide wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:42 pm 1b. Moisture can lead to degradation of the materials, leading to a lack of airtightness.
I have to say that I've never had one go down on me over a number of years. I do notice condensation inside and always store it with the valve open between trips. Never noticed it freezing inside on sub-zero nights.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Thermarest made a statement years ago saying there was no detrimental effect to their mats from using good old lung power, in some extreme cases there might be a build of mildew or mould which you probably don’t want to be inhaling the spores from.
The main reason I use an instaflator doodar is it just makes life easier, one breath into the tube and a full size mat is done, no batteries and a 27g penalty.

But free head spins are cool so sometimes I just use my gob
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

In the case of Therm-a-rest Neoairs I don't see why not. Have been doing it for many, many years and when I damaged the mat, it never had anything to do with blowing it up with my lungs.

I like to think that the mould which developes in the mat after loads of use is harmless, since we blow the air inside and contaminate the mat with our own breath.

I've seen videos of folks trying to de-mystify the mould issue, cutting up Neoairs and showing a clean inside and a completely intact alu coating. Yet, once you've used a Neoair for more than just a couple of nights, you'll find that the alu coating on the baffles breaks down (long before visible mould), especially around the edges, most likely from folding. This shows me that those vids shouldn't be taken seriously.

With Exped Synmats and Downmats I never, well only once when I forgot the Schnozzle bag, blow them up from my lungs. I've got two sizes of Schnozzle bags and use them as drybags, so I'm sure I don't forget to bring one along.

As for the humidity freezing inside the mat; can happen when blown up with your lungs, but in my cases I always was way past the temperature comfort limit of the mat. So not really a usual thing to occur. Can't remember having this with the Exped mats and Schnozzle in use, despite a tiny little bit of condensation happening at least around the valve (only get this after many nights in sequence).

Talking from experience with NeoAir Xlite, Exped Synmat and Downmat. Others may behave differently.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

My Exped Synmat went mouldy on the inside after I’d used my breath to inflate - I had stored with the valves open too.
jameso

Post by jameso »

When inflating it I blow through my jersey covering the valve to reduce moisture but I can't say I'm too worried about it. It's a Thermarest Neoair though, not a down-filled mat. I can see the point when there's down in there.

I've fix holes in mine by blowing a mouthful or 2 of water in there and seeing where it comes out, since finding holes in a Thermarest in the bath or a river is a bit hit and miss.
Hang it up valve-down and 75% inflated then drain off. It's been fine, the fabric is waterproof. If you're bothered about mildew you might get a bit of bleach in there with syringe at the valve perhaps, rinse it round then drain. Maybe a terrible idea : ) don't blame me if it melts the material.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

I always aim to dry the mat out after, which is sometimes easier than others. Left somewhere warm with the valve open for moisture to leave.
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Surely as well all that moisture will add up over time and collect in the mat? A Neoair valve is so small, I reckon it would be very hard to effectively dry it out. But as others say, its just way easier to use the inflation bag!

(As a side note, my wife's NeoAir did have to be replaced because it got so black and green on the inside, it got officially classified as "minging" and therefore unusable....)
Verena

Post by Verena »

whitestone wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:37 pm It's fun to say Schnozzle :-bd
:lol:
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Chrisps wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:41 pm Surely as well all that moisture will add up over time and collect in the mat? A Neoair valve is so small, I reckon it would be very hard to effectively dry it out. But as others say, its just way easier to use the inflation bag!

(As a side note, my wife's NeoAir did have to be replaced because it got so black and green on the inside, it got officially classified as "minging" and therefore unusable....)
Defeats the object of a small, lightweight mat to then carry an inflation bag with you as well.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

mattpage wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:19 pm Defeats the object of a small, lightweight mat to then carry an inflation bag with you as well.
Do you use drybags?
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

Alpinum wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:27 am
mattpage wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:19 pm Defeats the object of a small, lightweight mat to then carry an inflation bag with you as well.
Do you use drybags?
No.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

mattpage wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:51 pm
Alpinum wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:27 am
Do you use drybags?
No.
In this case you indeed have a redundant piece of nylon.

Better of with Therm-a-rest NeoAir Xlite or some sort in that case. They work well when blown up by lungs.
Never tried blowing up the Exped mats (not synthetic nor down) by my lungs, except for once, but definately wouldn't recommend it.
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

It is indeed the NeoAir that I use, full and 3/4. I have also got an Alpkit inflatable and that is also easy to inflate.
The NeoAir comes with the bag thing to inflate mind, but I have not used it apart from testing at home.