New bike day thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Borderer

New bike day thread

Post by Borderer »

I couldn't find a thread for us to show off our new bikes so I thought I would start one.

Let's see your new bike then and tell us all about it....

I will start with mine which I collected yesterday - a cheap-as-chips Decathlon Triban RC120 road bike - only £250. I got it on Gumtree - it was second hand but if it has been ridden a mile I would be surprised. The guy bought it for his mum but she didn't like it as it isn't a step-through. :roll:

It's Decathlon's basic model ali road bike with rim brakes and a carbon fork but crucially (for me) it has the same frame as the gravel version, meaning it will take a chunky tyre (38c or possibly as much as 40c). The calliper brakes have plenty of clearance for wider tyres but are very underwhelming. The 8 speed microshift drivetrain is clunky but the cassette is reasonably wide. It came fitted with a 28C road tyre that coped ok when I took it off-road, precisely 7 minutes after collecting it - I really can't help myself. I will fit some 35c G-One tyres and see how it goes.

It's been bought as a spare bike/stop gap type of thing for me to experiment with riding a smaller frame and also just to have around in case my other bikes are out of action. For £250 I am very pleased with it. I had a nice time pootling around the outskirts of Edinburgh on it yesterday after I bought it and then brought it home on the bus. I just love these new bike racks on Borders Buses - they really open up a whole world of possibility.

Let's see your new bikes then....