Hello. Bearbones newbie - saddlebag question

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ir_bandito

Hello. Bearbones newbie - saddlebag question

Post by ir_bandito »

Hello. You may know me from the Singletrackworld forum. You may not.

Veering tentativly into the world of bikepacking, mixing it up with epic mtb rides and audaxes.

Can anyone recomend a saddlebag/harness system for carrying a load of clothes essentially. I like the look of the Wildcat Gear Tiger, but was wondering what else there is along those lines.
Dan_K

Re: Hello. Bearbones newbie - saddlebag question

Post by Dan_K »

Welcome!

Most people use a combination of a dry bags on the bars, seat post system and a framebag along with a rucksack of some kind. There are fork mounted options too.
If you want something to use on both mtb and road bike for audaxes, i'd opt for either a wildcat tiger or seatpack from bikepack.eu or revelate.
I've recently got a Wildcat Tiger and can't recommend it highly enough. A budget option is just to strap a drybag to your seat post.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

There is a saying in there somewhere about treating symptoms or finding a cure?....

Do you need a 'load of clothes'? :)

Lightweight travelling isn't about what you buy, more the stuff you can live without.

But yep, the WC Tiger is a great versatile design.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Hello.. ) I wish I'd got a WC Tiger earlier, well recommended. Really good design, adaptable and more secure than the other std stuff-bag type I have. Maybe not the best for a huge load, but it's not the best place for a huge load either.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Another option would be the Revelate Viscacha. You can get them from backcountrybiking in Aviemore now too.
ir_bandito

Post by ir_bandito »

Thanks
Do you need a 'load of clothes'?
Yes. Its first proper rip will be the LEL in July, I want to carry a dry bag with a set of dry clothes in, in case the worst happens and i can't make it to the bag-drops. But its got to be good enough to use off-road too in the future.

I have a Jaand frame bag already, and a cheapy ebay top-tube bag which holds my GPS/phone, just need something on the back without resorting to panniers.

WC looks to to be the obvious choice. Revelate is good, but twice the price!
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

You could just use an airlok xtra drybag from alpkit - the 13l version is only £8.50 delivered.
ir_bandito

Post by ir_bandito »

Brilliant!
Thanks rudedog!
ir_bandito

Post by ir_bandito »

So here's what I ended up with, a seatosummit drybag and a 2m webbing strap:

DSC_0691 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

It worked, but it took 15 minute to lash it up tightly. So I've just bought a Wildcat Tiger for future use :-)