Quilt recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sterobe

Quilt recommendations

Post by sterobe »

Hi all,

After another bikepacking trip with no sleep, I have decided a sleeping bag is not for me. I would like to try a quilt. Side sleeper and wriggler!
As always when I'm looking at new gear, I feel paralyzed by choice.

Any recommendations for something for UK bikepacking to pair with a Thermarest neo air?

Much appreciated and sorry of this has already been covered!
underwater basket weaver
Cheeky Monkey

Re: Quilt recommendations

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Whichever model of Cumulus fits your temperature needs is a popular choice / recommendation on here. I have a 250 and recommend it, if it's warm enough for you. Supplied from EU so there maybe issues, extra costs etc.

Stu often mentions Sierra Designs in a positive manner. I'd love to try one but how many do I really need - an itch that might get scratched eventually.

Enlightened Equipment do a wide array of good quilts but US based so similar, yet subtly different, commercial issues to Cumulus.

Don't bother with an Alpkit Cloudcover unless it exactly fits your bill. I have an original one (the design, construction, sizing etc might have been improved subsequently) and it is poor in comparison to any of the aforementioned, IMO.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

If you haven't found this thread it (might) help:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20035&p=263475&hilit=quilt#p263475
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Another +1 for cumulus 250 here.
jobro

Post by jobro »

Unlike most, I have a Cumulus 150. I'm a hot and restless sleeper, but even for me wearing a merino top I found it too cold for temps below 6C. Incredibly light and packs to nothing but your needs will dictate what to get.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Pretty much as Cheeky states. It's worth knowing how closely aligned your sleeping comfort/limit temperatures are with those claimed by the manufacturers. I'm lucky in that I'm within a degree or so so I'm fine with what's stated. IME Cumulus are about right with their quilts but if you are a cold sleeper then you need to take that into account. I've a Cumulus 150, my wife has the 350.

Cumulus changed their design a couple of years ago, they are now very similar to the EE Revelation quilt with a zip-up footbox. If you want a permanently sewn footbox then you need to look at the EE Enigma or similar.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Boab

Post by Boab »

I've used my Vesper 32 UL down quilt a couple of nights now, and it's vaguely exciting.
🤬 expensive, but vaguely exciting...

As whitestone points out from time to time, if you break the cost down on a per-night basis, they can work out "relatively" cheap. You do have to have quite a few nights out though...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Gpl23

Post by Gpl23 »

Cumulus 350 here which i love, i find it perfect for 3 seasons