Recommendations for a bike rack?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Sameer

Recommendations for a bike rack?

Post by Sameer »

So my Frontier build is due end of the month, just wondering what sort of bike racks people use for transporting their bikes on the car?

I borrowed a Saris bones 3 from a friend, held solid but was a bit of a faff with all the straps.
ScotRoutes

Re: Recommendations for a bike rack?

Post by ScotRoutes »

I use a towbar mounted rack. I've previously used a Thule roof rack. Can't say I've ever liked the idea of just strapping something to the car.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I've been using a Thule towbar mounted rack for years now and it's been great. I'm currently waiting for an Atera Evo towbar rack to come back into stock to replace it for use on our camper van (the Thule rack still functions but it's getting a bit tired now).
On the car I've been using two Thule Proride roofbar mounted bike racks which are also great but do affect fuel consumption more than a rear mounted rack.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

strap racks that you attach are fine in use but a pain to set up and get the bikes on - probaby have to atke the wheels off - personaly i would rather just put the bikes in the car than deal with that level of faff.

Tow bar racks are easy solid and quick - they are expensive - even if you have a tow bar .Personally I prefer them with a ounting plate ike Pennine racks rather than ones that attach directly tothe ball [ which is designed to be a pivot point- I have had those type move on the car - no way they can fall off but they can drop.

Never used a roof rack one - they always lok pretty stable when you see them on otorays and th eike but i have just never used one.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Thule roof bars and Freeride carriers. Prefer to put them in the car if at all possible, but it isn't always.

Top tip: stick a mirror on the dashboard so you can always see the bikes, and hopefully avoid driving into low obstacles with them.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I've had pretty much all the methods - strap on boot lid, tow bar, roof rack. I have a van now and it goes inside but might get a boot lid one that attaches permanently at some point

Tow bar is the best for driving with, places for restricted height, being able to use a roof box and getting them on and off. Roof rack is the easiest for parking as there's nothing to clang, and best for leaving on while not in use (e.g. if you're on hols, put bikes somewhere safe and want to leave bike carrying stuff on the car).
samwise

Post by samwise »

We use the Thule roof bars and Proride racks on the roof of our Caddy van when we dont have enough space inside.

It does zap the mpg over a long journey but as mentioned above its a great place to leave the bikes locked when sleeping in the van, or if your not riding for a day :lol:

samwise

Post by samwise »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:55 am Top tip: stick a mirror on the dashboard so you can always see the bikes, and hopefully avoid driving into low obstacles with them.
Genius!
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

samwise wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:27 am
thenorthwind wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:55 am Top tip: stick a mirror on the dashboard so you can always see the bikes, and hopefully avoid driving into low obstacles with them.
Genius!
It is, but I can't claim it's my genius. Someone on STW mentioned it.