Matt goes to King Alfreds Way

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Re: Matt goes to King Alfreds Way

Post by Boab »

mattpage wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:22 pm
K1100T wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:39 pm
Goes off to work out which kidney to sell, so I can afford some DT Swiss CRG 1400 SPLINE®'s, in 650B flavour, and a Lauf Grit SL...
The wheels are not GRC 1400, something much cheaper I would imagine.
I had a set of DT 240s hubs on rubbish, narrow rims so had those rebuilt by Jon at Just Riding Along onto his Gecko carbon rims, which are pretty narrow for MTB tyres at 21mm. Laced with Sapim CX-Ray and multi-coloured alloy nipples.
That was more an internal mussing on the fact that I've got a pair of GR 1600 SPLINE®, in 700c flavour, and would like an 650B upgrade... 🤣
mattpage wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:22 pm The Fork is a first gen, Lauf "light" model, for up to 80kg riders was the idea. After the first event I used it for I threw it in the bin :lol:
As a true MTB fork it is absolutely rubbish. Way too much flex and uncontrolled rebound, but as a gravel fork it is vaguely exciting.

As for gravel or MTB. I would say both are fine, but go with a wide tyre. If you can't fit at least a 42mm, go MTB. I think the type of bike I used is best for a faster attempt, but to just complete the route, even a road bike with a little mud clearance would work.
I'm quite tempted by a Lauf, mostly to help reduce the fatigue from being battered on horse hoof chewed up local bridleways.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.