OT: Rich People in Space

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

OT: Rich People in Space

Post by TheBrownDog »

Beardy Branson did it last week and The Alien Bezos went there today and I think the Musk Ox is going soon. Or has already been. I dunno.

I think it's cool. Yeah sure they are all dickwads and all that money could have gone to not contributing to climate change, but, well, yeah, nah, private citizens going weightless is pretty inspiring, I think.

Thoughts?
I'm just going outside ...
Boab

Re: OT: Rich People in Space

Post by Boab »

If I had the money, I do it in a heart beat. But Bezos and the willy wanging can do one.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
arkay

Post by arkay »

It's not really proper space though, is it?

Although props to Bezos for his shamelessly puerile rocket design, which can't help but bring to mind that scene from Austin Powers. :shock:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'm all for space exploration furthering science but....does this do anything apart from get a few more people into what is technically space, but not what most people think space is?

The cosmologist that was on the Radio Two news did (imho) a very poor job of justifying the efforts versus spending billions on combating poverty and famine.
Last edited by johnnystorm on Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Let's not forget that Jo Kittinger went up in a balloon and jumped over 60 years ago.

May the bridges you burn light your way
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I'm not sure the debate needs to be about the definition of space as I'm pretty sure all the three dickers could have done a few more metres up to satisfy everyone.

I honestly think this is a big step in the next phase of our kind reaching out beyond our boundaries. Yep I do. I am a cynical fecker most of the time, but I just think this is the start of something very big. Hope so anyway,
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I honestly think this is a big step in the next phase of our kind reaching out beyond our boundaries. Yep I do. I am a cynical fecker most of the time, but I just think this is the start of something very big. Hope so anyway,
I'm sure they said the same about the moon landings.

Also, I find it weird to think that we know more about space than we do about what lives in our oceans ... and also, appear to care more. :roll:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

It’s a shameful waste of money and resources. Quite frankly I think space tourism should be banned before it starts. It’s bad enough that people feel entitled to fly wherever and whenever they like, now the 1% want to piss about in low earth orbit. The whole thing is f’ing awful X_X
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:52 pm It’s a shameful waste of money and resources. Quite frankly I think space tourism should be banned before it starts. It’s bad enough that people feel entitled to fly wherever and whenever they like, now the 1% want to piss about in low earth orbit. The whole thing is f’ing awful X_X
Agree whole heartedly.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I'm enjoying the science and tech behind it all but have similar thoughts to Lune Ranger, it just seems like a complete waste of money to me. I don't really understand the need to colonise another planet either but I think that's the ultimate aim, I'm no greenpeace hiptser type but shouldn't we be trying to save what we already have instead of just moving onto another rock.

willy wanging :lol:
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:52 pm It’s a shameful waste of money and resources. Quite frankly I think space tourism should be banned before it starts. It’s bad enough that people feel entitled to fly wherever and whenever they like, now the 1% want to piss about in low earth orbit. The whole thing is f’ing awful X_X
Yeah very much this....well said. Also a man that has done more to create the crappy consumer wasteful society than anyone, and during the pandemic and on the same day record migrants cross the channel. Wrong.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Shewie wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:57 pm I'm enjoying the science and tech behind it all but have similar thoughts to Lune Ranger, it just seems like a complete waste of money to me. I don't really understand the need to colonise another planet either but I think that's the ultimate aim, I'm no greenpeace hiptser type but shouldn't we be trying to save what we already have instead of just moving onto another rock.

willy wanging :lol:
If we can't fix a planet that can support life then we've no hope of starting from scratch with a dead one.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think colonising other planets, inventing hyper-drive, jet packs and teleport booths is a fine way to spend money; rich idiots doing it just to say they have is just another waste of fossil fuels. Take the cash off them and give it to proper worthy causes. Mind you if certain of the rich idiots did it and then (say) the Russians started shooting them down, that would be sport!
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Meanwhile the Chinese are exploring the far side of the Moon.
techno

Post by techno »

htrider wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:04 pm I think colonising other planets, inventing hyper-drive, jet packs and teleport booths is a fine way to spend money; rich idiots doing it just to say they have is just another waste of fossil fuels. Take the cash off them and give it to proper worthy causes. Mind you if certain of the rich idiots did it and then (say) the Russians started shooting them down, that would be sport!
Could happen. The Russians at building a spacecraft with weapons on it:
https://eurasiantimes.com/russia-says-i ... the-orbit/
Look out bazillionaires
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

what Lune ranger said

Frankly its disgusting that folk are dying from preventable diseases and bilionairres are doing this - if they must do this charge them a Billion for a visa for each trip .
I honestly think this is a big step in the next phase of our kind reaching out beyond our boundaries.
Given we have gone to the moon and mars in what way is some rich people nearly getting to space , but not staying there, reaching beyond our boundaires? Its quite clearly an achievement wihithin our boundaries
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

This is all very well but what about Pigs in Space? Much more entertaining.

tobasco

Post by tobasco »

I reckon Bezos or Musk are gonna get to the moon, spend first night in their cabin acclimatising, then waking in the morning to find a menu from Chinese takeaway shoved under the lander.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:23 am Pigs in Space?
Much nicer than Pigs In Blankets IMHO
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

johnnystorm wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:00 pm If we can't fix a planet that can support life then we've no hope of starting from scratch with a dead one.
Brilliant. That's one of the most succinct summaries that I've seen.

Paint it on the manicured lawns of all these rich people and politicians. I'll help you.

One has to have the suspicion that these people are aiming to set themselves up with an 'A ark'. Inevitably my place will end up being on the 'B ark' along with the telephone sanitisers etc :sad: .
Last edited by RIP on Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
psling

Post by psling »

tobasco wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:09 pm Meanwhile the Chinese are exploring the far side of the Moon.
I think lsd may have helped in that exploration back in the early 70s :cool:

Space travel? If I wanted to visit a large scrap yard then I can pop down the local vehicle dismantlers for a lot less money and effort....
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

RIP wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:51 am
One has to have the suspicion that these people are aiming to set themselves up with an 'A ark'. I know my place will end up being on the 'B ark' along with the telephone sanitisers etc :sad: .
If I remember correctly only the one 'Ark' left Golgafrincham so fingers crossed it's the same here and that Bezos, et al are on it. We just need to make sure we keep our phones clean ourselves. :-bd
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:27 pm Let's not forget that Jo Kittinger went up in a balloon and jumped over 60 years ago.

Proper TLS space exploration, that. :wink:

And it's his 93rd birthday next week. :-bd :YMPARTY:

Interestingly: a bit of Wiki-browsing led from Joe Kittinger to "Nish", a mate of our very own BDS. Small world :grin: .
May you always have tail wind.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I'm firmly on this side of the fence. I was about to make a point about CO2 emissions, but thought I'd better check my facts first... turns out it's not nearly as bad as I thought: https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2 ... e-close-z/ - but still a massive waste of energy (you don't get hydrogen for free). It's indefensible that any single person should have the right to use that much resource.

More to the point, you're happy to spend billions on this vanity project, but not to pay your workers a living wage under a contract you'd expect in a civilised society? Go *** yourself.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:58 amMore to the point, you're happy to spend billions on this vanity project, but not to pay your workers a living wage under a contract you'd expect in a civilised society? Go *** yourself.
:-bd :-bd :-bd