It's hard enough to walk down.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

It's hard enough to walk down.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I know where this is and it's quite tricky to walk down, never mind ride a bike down. Glad to see he's on the mend and in good spirits.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-gee ... areer.html
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Re: It's hard enough to walk down.

Post by fatbikephil »

Ouch that looked like a sore one for sure. Pretty fast recovery though walking in 3 weeks - I guess he's getting treatment privately through Red Bull but even so....
Someone tell him he should take up bikepacking!
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Ouch!
That’s gotta hurt. Bet that’s not a bridleway though :roll:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
sillybigfella

Post by sillybigfella »

Hmm, I don’t want to be ‘that guy’, but he has being taking a lot of liabilities with his Slateline and Ridgeline projects. With the Ridgeline, it was inside the Snowdonia National Park and the Park Authority made him reinstate the destroyed habitat as they didn’t have planning permission to make the track in the first place. As well it being a visual scar, it ruined quite a nice ridge walk up Tarren y Gesail. And with Slateline, Foel Grochan is a designated Scheduled Monument, but as long as they have their fun, eh?

Btw, I think Dyfi Bike Park is a great venture and it brings a lot of income to the area, so I’m not anti ‘rad’.
I’ve been abart a bit
RIP

Post by RIP »

Can-of-worms thread this one :smile: . I'm intrigued by the 'ethics' of rescue when someone gets damaged. Who 'deserves' to get rescued? Everyone presumably? Or are there different levels of deservedness? Who pays for the rescue? Voluntary rescuers with donations? Everyone to be insured? NHS? Don't Boners pride themselves on self-sufficiency and self-rescue? Normal punter fell on a rock and broke their leg? Walker who got lost in mist without a compass and went down a pothole? Climber who's well-maintained rope broke? MTBer who pranged on an 'extreme' DH? And what type of rescue, given a 'choice'? A few MR with a stretcher? Pricey helicopter out? I can't come up with a clear answer in my own head but it's an interesting pub question.

Re the ethics of Gee's 'project' itself, I know we discussed it a while ago, but SBF has added some points that I didn't know - Scheduled Monument etc.
Last edited by RIP on Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:02 pm it's an interesting pub question.
TBH Reg it isn't.

Either everyone is deserving of help/rescue or no-one is.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:13 pm
RIP wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:02 pm it's an interesting pub question.
TBH Reg it isn't.

Either everyone is deserving of help/rescue or no-one is.
Yes I guess so. Can't make my brain work today it's too hot.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I expect / hope that both Gee and Red Bull made a generous donation to the relevant MRT. The MRT guys I've encountered are OK with this kind of thing as its usually an easy rescue and no-one died.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

RE rescue. I'm pretty sure we've all done something at some point that we deem to be 'safe enough', yet others might view the exact same activity as risky or even dangerous ... who gets to decide?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I make this slightly in ignorance because I haven't watched it.

However, if it's a commercial thing then cost apportionment heavily to the people doing whatever. It's not the same as your average punter (or even not so average) doing something as a hobby / leisure activity.

There comes a point where state / emergency services step in but in the first instance it's for the commercial entity to sort out and cover costs.

It's similar to why you have St John's at events or security stewards at the footie.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:40 pm RE rescue. I'm pretty sure we've all done something at some point that we deem to be 'safe enough', yet others might view the exact same activity as risky or even dangerous ... who gets to decide?
My worst injury was a severely broken elbow, two months off work. I was riding like a knob end. There’s no way I was ever going to make it round the mini roundabout at that speed in the damp! The amusing thing was that after a lifetime of bikes, motorcycles, skydiving and general silliness I took my self out on the wife’s shopper complete with front basket :lol:

Eventually the dice land the wrong way for everyone.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:10 pm However, if it's a commercial thing then cost apportionment heavily to the people doing whatever. It's not the same as your average punter (or even not so average) doing something as a hobby
Yes I think that was what was vaguely bugging me, although I still haven't thought it through properly :smile: . So maybe it's not quite as simple as everyone or nobody. Hmm.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I expect / hope that both Gee and Red Bull made a generous donation to the relevant MRT.
They woud have made sure to publicise this if they had- red Bull is basically marketting
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

... as simple as everyone or nobody ...
Don't get me wrong, this is pretty much what I think in most aspects of *life* (although my p1ss boils about the funding and lack of support for RNLI. MRT, Air Ambulance etc etc - tangent!).

However, if Red Bull and an Atherton want to do something rad and film / monetise it etc then they ought to have appropriate levels of cover in place. Otherwise it seems to fall into Rule No.1, a bit, IMO.

But hey, navel-gazing about wider circumstances when some bloke who's smashed himself up :???: Healing vibes :cool:
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

In Australia, where everything is better, you have to subscribe to ambulance/emergency services. It's cheap as chips but if you don't have it, you're gonna to pay a very lot of money (Christ in Heaven, my grammar) if you need a trip in an ambulance or the search and rescue service have to search for you to rescue you.

Commercial stuff needs its own insurance.

For a brief and shining moment a mate and I ran an "extreme" sports team back in the late 1990s. It was the Arnott's Extreme Team. Yes it was. It was all skateboards, inline skates and BMX and it was The Best Fun Ever. We had a year of driving around festivals and schools, doing demos of sports that, back then, kids didn't have the easy access to that they have now. The look on the faces of 10-year-olds when one of our guys did a back flip over the fun box ............. MasterCard moments.

But we never made enough money to pay the kids who did the dangerous stuff and cover the liability insurance. The one time we had an accident, a busted wrist and concussion, we had a bill that basically took out our profit for the year, and a little bit extra.

The moral of the story: yeah, if you're a private citizen who requires rescue, then you deserve to be rescued, irrespective of how big a knob you have been. Even if you do it again and again.

But if it's a commercial venture, you can surely expect the same service from our public funded rescue services, but you bloody well have to pay for it.
I'm just going outside ...
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

htrider wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:10 pm Ouch that looked like a sore one for sure. Pretty fast recovery though walking in 3 weeks - I guess he's getting treatment privately through Red Bull but even so....
It's amazing how little fuss they make over a femur break now. There were guys in and gone within days when I was in hospital.

Pin it, f*ck off. :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:18 pm
htrider wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:10 pm Ouch that looked like a sore one for sure. Pretty fast recovery though walking in 3 weeks - I guess he's getting treatment privately through Red Bull but even so....
It's amazing how little fuss they make over a femur break now. There were guys in and gone within days when I was in hospital.

Pin it, f*ck off. :lol:
We were watching one of those "Your Emergency Life in their Hands in A&E" programmes - woman was having spinal surgery, removing a vertebra in her neck and replacing with a titanium one. Six hour plus operation. The following morning it's "Your post op x-ray looks fine. You're good to go home now" :shock: It seems that repairing bones is so common place and they are so good at it that unless there are complications you are unlikely to be in hospital much more than a day.

It's also quite common to encourage some light usage ASAP as it helps the bones to heal. After I got run over (many years ago) I was told to flex my leg whilst it was in the cast and "wiggle" the bones. I'd be lying there with my tibia clicking away which would drive Cath insane! :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry