2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
sean_iow

Re: Somewhere between 8 and 22.

Post by sean_iow »

I notice they don't have the little notches in the top like the 8g and 22g, is that a design change? What was the notch for?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Jeff, my biggest issue with meths has been getting the bloody stuff to ignite. Just be aware that it in colder weather you might need to pre-warm it. Sticking it in an inside pocket usually does the trick. In colder conditions I keep the bottle in my sleeping bag (inside two plastic bags)..
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

PP'd for a "stive". Muppet!
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Are any of these left? And does it come with the windshield template, as I suspect my current windshield is totally the wrong shape...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Sent you some money...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I notice they don't have the little notches in the top like the 8g and 22g, is that a design change? What was the notch for?
The notch helps maintain a steady internal pressure. It makes a big difference on the 8g because it has very little volume, less of an issue in this case.
Are any of these left? And does it come with the windshield template, as I suspect my current windshield is totally the wrong shape...
Yeah, this was just the first batch Paul, I shall make more next week. Only the 8g has a template ... what mug/pot are you planning to use it with?
Jeff, my biggest issue with meths has been getting the bloody stuff to ignite. Just be aware that it in colder weather you might need to pre-warm it. Sticking it in an inside pocket usually does the trick. In colder conditions I keep the bottle in my sleeping bag (inside two plastic bags)..
Aye, meths doesn't like the cold much but one of these helps ... available on any market for a couple of quid.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, the wee turbo lighters are a big help.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:19 am [
Yeah, this was just the first batch Paul, I shall make more next week. Only the 8g has a template ... what mug/pot are you planning to use it with?
Excellent, I'll send over the £20 shortly. I was planning on using one of those GSI bugaboo mugs. Template isn't really an issue, just being lazy!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:44 am
Fancy one of these. However I've never used a meths burner before so I'm a complete newbie.
I'd need instructions on everything!
Brief run-down ...

1/ stand stove on level non-flammable surface.
2/ Pour some meths into the centre chamber - how much will depend what you're hoping to do but for boiling a mug full, start with 15ml(ish).
3/ Light meths and wait.
4/ How long you wait will depend on conditions. Might be 30s or 1m30s but sooner or later the meths will begin to vapourise and flames will appear from the jets.
5/ Once all the jets are burning, simply place your mug directly (carefully) on top of the stove.

As with all stoves but especially meths, the use of a windshield will make a massive difference to boil times.
Alternatively....
1. Pour meths into stove until it overflows onto tin lid stove support, which you don't notice as you forgot your specs.
2. Try to light meths but burn fingers as its impossible to see when it lights without your specs. Wonder why the whole lot flares up, threating to burn tarp to the ground.
3. Burn fingers trying to maneuver windshield into place.
4. Burn fingers trying to sit cup on top of stove and maneuvering windshield round cup handles
5. Wait for 5 minutes or so (and try to relax after previous four steps)
6. When water boils burn fingers trying to lift cup off stove
7. Drop cup and scald fingers / hands / leg when boiling water spills out.
8. go to step one.
9. Drink meths instead

With practice you can reduce the number of burns to a reasonable level and it all becomes fairly relaxing :-bd
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:29 am I've not printed any instructions for them but I'm reckoning all those who showed interest, know what they're doing :wink:
Rash assumption
benp1

Post by benp1 »

That story reminds me of my darwin award attempt at the weekend

Was lighting the wooden pellets in the pizza oven at home. Wasn't sure where the lighting gel was so decided to use brake/clutch cleaner as I had some handy. I use it in the multi fuel stove. poured some on, i said to others step back as it's quite volatile... WHOOMPH! Volatile is an understatement. Lost all the hairs on my hand and forearm. Won't be in a rush to do that again :grin: :lol:
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

PaulE wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:37 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:19 am [
Excellent, I'll send over the £20 shortly. I was planning on using one of those GSI bugaboo mugs. Template isn't really an issue, just being lazy!
As I'm a bit of an absent minded Muppet, I didn't send the money for this stove... Is it still possible to send £20 and get one please Stu?
RIP

Post by RIP »

This has prompted me to re-read all this thread. Somehow missed Phil and Ben's posts. Blinking hilarious! Thanks for tonight's belly laugh gents :smile: .

Stove's ace obv. Surprised nobody's asked for a 4g (not 4G that'd be daft. Then again, a packet-switched network of stoves? Hmmmmm....) version to increase the breadth of the range.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As I'm a bit of an absent minded Muppet, I didn't send the money for this stove... Is it still possible to send £20 and get one please Stu?
Yes
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:54 am
Yes
Marvelous, cash on the way now!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Similar Stu, sending now.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Thanks Stu, arrived today. Off to burn some water to see how it goes.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thanks Stu, arrived today. Off to burn some water to see how it goes.
Smashing. You'd have had it sooner but Bank Holiday, 3 dogs and no transport (suitable for 3 dogs) got int' way :wink:
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Picked mine up from the postie depot today - currently testing it out in the garden and seems to work great with my TKmaxx bargain £2.99 stainless steel mug! Thanks Stu