Llandebr hill/Builth/surrounds locals

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

faustus

Llandebr hill/Builth/surrounds locals

Post by faustus »

Heading up at the end of this week to the Llanbedr hill area, for a relaxed overnighter and some pootling. Going to go over Llanbedr hill (aware of Tom Hutton route and the Big Bear passes through) and possibly a bit further north toward Colva hill and Gwaunceste hill.

Any locals/recent visitors advice on places to avoid or worthwhile doing? Also, the area just south of Builth heading toward Brycheiniog forest (in between B4520 and A470), is it any good, worth doing? Just an option if we have time. Lastly, any known water points in the area would be useful to know.

Many thanks :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Llandebr hill/Builth/surrounds locals

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Generally the area's great and it's hard to go wrong. Some of the high level routes south of Builth can a bit hit and miss but shouldn't be bad at this time of year and you're almost guaranteed solitude. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
faustus

Post by faustus »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:16 pm Generally the area's great and it's hard to go wrong. Some of the high level routes south of Builth can a bit hit and miss but shouldn't be bad at this time of year and you're almost guaranteed solitude. :-bd
Great news, just what I wanted to hear! :smile:

Solitude was the main reason for choosing that area, knowing the Black mountains and Beacons would be awful. Ta!
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

A little further north than Llanbedr is Aberedw and that is another great mountain, loads of tracks that are not on the map, although often used by bikes. Further east Forest Fields has some great tracks, although that is private so maybe best not to wander in there without permission.

Llanbedr I have less riding experience, but I think it's more barren and fewer tracks.

Brycheiniog, or Llaneglwys as I know of it has some riding and they have held some XC events there in the past, so there must be some riding although I have not been in there myself.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Llaneglwys/Brycheiniog Forest is lovely to ride around, did it the other day, about 17km loop, very rare to meet anyone there, would be good for a bivvy. Next to it Llandefalle common is also a great wild open space with tracks arises, and Brechfa pool. Great descent from Brechfa pool down to Aberedw area, little switch back and forest that feels a tiny bit like being in a different country. Not sure about water though.
psling

Post by psling »

Used to do the Rough Ride events in that area, great events.
Llanbedr, Llanbedr Hill, Glascwm Hill & Gwaunceste Hill are covered in tracks. Mostly open hilltops and deep valleys. Plenty of bivvy options on the tops, the valleys are mostly posh residences and farms. On the OS maps you will find loads of by-ways, bridleways and black dash tracks. The black dash tracks on the hilltops are pretty much all 'old highways' and rideable. Enjoy :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
faustus

Post by faustus »

mattpage/verena/psling - excellent, thanks for the insights, all really good to know! I'd already planned to park in Aberedw village so good to know Aberedw hill is worthwhile too. Looking at the abundance of tracks across the moorland in the general area, it's good to know (and had assumed) it's pretty fair game for riding. Good to know about Llandyfalle too. I've got plenty of options and looking forward to it :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

This place is a must for a pit stop

Erwood Station Gallery
01982 560674
https://maps.app.goo.gl/SBHSfsWySyF9tCYV6
faustus

Post by faustus »

Verena wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:34 am This place is a must for a pit stop

Erwood Station Gallery
01982 560674
https://maps.app.goo.gl/SBHSfsWySyF9tCYV6
Oooh, that does look good, thanks!
mattpage

Post by mattpage »

The only thing I would add is this time of year there will be areas where the ferns are up and certain paths and tracks will be a PITA.