Thoughts on waist bags

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: Thoughts on waist bags

Post by benp1 »

Handy little tip for anyone struggling for space in your bags for beer after a trip to the Spar/Londis, the Backcountry Super 8 fits a can onto your frame really well. Have done some rocky and rooty trails and hasn't once even tried to jump out. Also fits a kebab wrap really well :grin: :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

benp1 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:23 pm The ones that carry bottles also let you carry cans or bottles of beer,
Though not at the same time.
barney

Post by barney »

Thanks everyone, going to do a bit of reading up and then get one.

Cheers
Wait for me...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I have a Lowe waist pack, maybe 20 year old, very stable and comfy... . but maybe 7litres(?), so too early to give it a product name, just 'Lowe waist pack' ! . it's deep [25x25x 10cm] . I don't to use it on the bike as it catchs on the saddle, (big Rs?)
Just food for thought. it has 40 or 50mm buckles which stick in your juts.so don't go over 38mm (3/4 inch wide webbing.) Image
Edit this seem to be the modern equivalent.. https://www.inglesport.com/product/lowe ... aist-pack/
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

ledburner wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:01 am it catches on the saddle
Ah yes that was another problem I had with these things.

Oh, AND it pulled on one's tum like a Victorian corset - if I wanted to enjoy the pleasures of wearing a Victorian corset I'd wear a Victorian corset. And indeed have done of course.

You could use that one as a (flattering) jockstrap or C19 mask I suppose to save wasting it.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

RIP wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:59 am
ledburner wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:01 am it catches on the saddle
Ah yes that was another problem I had with these things.

Oh, AND it pulled on one's tum like a Victorian corset - if I wanted to enjoy the pleasures of wearing a Victorian corset I'd wear a Victorian corset. And indeed have done of course.

You could use that one as a (flattering) jockstrap or C19 mask I suppose to save wasting it.
You aught to wear it on your hips rather than your waist. Worn that way the bones of your pelvis provide support and you don’t get the ‘Victorian corset’ effect.
I’ve had an Osprey Talon for a couple of years and wouldn’t do a bikepacking trip without one now.
The bottle harness are a good feature. Sometimes I’ve carried an extra, empty bottle in one side to give extra water capacity if needed and my water filter in the other.
I like how you can have important things you may want off the bike upon your person.
I’ll use mine like I use a trad touring bar bag. Putting all my ‘hand bag’ items in it - cash, phone, power pack, analgesics, lippy, poo trowel and bog roll etc.
If you’re ITT’ing I find it’s an arrangement that saves time on other trips it simply makes life easier.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Folk who find they catch on the saddle; is that when sitting on the bike, getting on the bike, getting off the bike?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:25 am Folk who find they catch on the saddle; is that when sitting on the bike, getting on the bike, getting off the bike?
in my case when astride the cross bar. or when mounting the saddle. (that doesn't sound right, what's in this coffee? :???: ).
lune ranger. thank for the advice. I tend not to carry much weight in it so it, ends up round my waist when I tighten the straps & bend forward on the bike.
Next MYOG mini project change the straps to 38mm fromm 550m and pit on a fidlock Buckle. :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

lune ranger wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:47 am You aught to wear it on your hips rather than your waist.
Aye indeed a fair comment of course. Sadly my hips and waist have a strange and unhelpful configuration. Like the rest of my whole body come to think of it.

Anyroad, 'tis the case that I'm the lone dissenter on this thread so I'll back out now and let everyone else enjoy the corsetry :grin: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ledburner wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:53 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:25 am Folk who find they catch on the saddle; is that when sitting on the bike, getting on the bike, getting off the bike?
in my case when astride the cross bar. or when mounting the saddle.
Ah yes - I can see how that could be.
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

psling wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:52 am
RIP wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:14 am Always good to have an alternative dissenting viewpoint :smile: - used to have one but gave up because it always felt like I was carrying around a particularly hard to dispense 'motion'.
Funny you should say that Reg... after a particularly gnarly downhill in North Devon once, dropping down towards Lynmouth, my waist pack proved to be a perfectly formed shelf upon which the large dog turd that was thrown up by my back wheel (unbeknown to me) deposited itself. You know how sometimes, after a longish downhill, you step off your bike, stretch and rub your lower back.... Mmmm, discovery time :sad:

Sorry, I digress. As you were :cool:
Reminds me of a story from a scuba-diving mate who said someone had pulled down his wetsuit to "release one into the wild", then discovered he'd pooed into his hood :shock: :YMSICK: :lol: .

Haven't a clue whether it's true, but I nearly spat my tea across the messroom :lol: . And that's what matters :wink: .
May you always have tail wind.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

RIP wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:37 pm
lune ranger wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:47 am You aught to wear it on your hips rather than your waist.
Aye indeed a fair comment of course. Sadly my hips and waist have a strange and unhelpful configuration. Like the rest of my whole body come to think of it.

Anyroad, 'tis the case that I'm the lone dissenter on this thread so I'll back out now and let everyone else enjoy the corsetry :grin: .
I'm with you Reg. Always thought they were naff, bouncy things with a mind of their own, caught on all sorts and rubbish when loaded. The early days of Camelbak were a revelation in comfort and stability (not a kitchen sink carrier ;-)).

Perhaps bizarrely I only use Wingnuts now. I think of them as the Crocs of the biking world. Nowadays I just try and lob it in a bike-mounted-bag as well. The less on my back or body the better 😎

HYOH.
arkay

Post by arkay »

The Cumbrian wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:52 pm If you just want it to carry clothing, snacks and miscellaneous, these are simple, lightweight, and in the sale:
https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/packs/back ... k/?c=19856

Cheers, Michael.
Thanks for the tip, I just snapped up one of these. It has a pouch for a hydration bladder but how are people securing the hose with a waist pack? I know some of the fancier ones have magnetic clasps but this just has a hole for the hose to emerge.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

arkay wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:07 pm
The Cumbrian wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:52 pm If you just want it to carry clothing, snacks and miscellaneous, these are simple, lightweight, and in the sale:
https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/packs/back ... k/?c=19856

Cheers, Michael.
Thanks for the tip, I just snapped up one of these. It has a pouch for a hydration bladder but how are people securing the hose with a waist pack? I know some of the fancier ones have magnetic clasps but this just has a hole for the hose to emerge.
Good question, not something I'd thought about (I don't have a waist hydration pack, but have considered one).

Osprey sell a magnetic clasp separately that you can attach to any hose (I had to add some tape to increase the OD of mine and stop it sliding mind) and any 10mm (?) strap.

Still not sure where you'd attach it too though.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

In short, have an Osprey 6l bag with bladder.

If it’s filled with light stuff, then I love it. Nice and stable and sits well, however, it’s it’s filled with heavier stuff and the bladder is used, it started becoming cumbersome and irritating quite quickly.

Use mine on the mountain bike to put a few tools and tube in plus a wind jacket or insulated layer, plus phone and keys. Works well with this setup but anymore and I’d rather take a bag/distribute the weight elsewhere.

Think I’ve only used the bladder once or twice as it makes the bag too heavy
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I hve the Osprey with the bladder and a similar Camelback one. I prefer the Osprey and have been using it for tools, tube and water on most day rides. As with any waist pack, it’s uncomfortable if overloaded, so I tend to only half fill the bladder and rarely use it on rides where I’m packing an extra layer.
psling

Post by psling »

I've noticed around our (rural and couple of years behind London/Paris/Milan etc.) area that the yoof are wearing waist bags diagonally from the shoulder across their chest so it would appear that they are very much on-trend at the moment :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
arkay

Post by arkay »

psling wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:39 pm I've noticed around our (rural and couple of years behind London/Paris/Milan etc.) area that the yoof are wearing waist bags diagonally from the shoulder across their chest so it would appear that they are very much on-trend at the moment :cool:
There was a trend for diagonal rucksacks with only one strap about 20 years ago. I had one, the strap velcroed together at the front as I recall.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've got two bum bags now - a small one to hold my phone and keys while running and a bigger terra nova one that I've used walking and on a bikepacking overnighter. All I can say about the big one is that I didn't really think about it being there until I needed something out of it so it worked pretty much perfectly.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

've noticed around our (rural and couple of years behind London/Paris/Milan etc.) area that the yoof are wearing waist bags diagonally from the shoulder across their chest so it would appear that they are very much on-trend at the moment
Wenchie was telling me the same thing and how the BB bumbags are now like gold dust in her house.
May the bridges you burn light your way
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I just did a 5 day trip using an Osprey Seral with a 1.5l bladder and didn’t like it at all. With the water and bits and bobs it was too heavy and too uncomfortable.
Not a winner at all. I’ll need to think again for water carrying and go back to just carrying bits and bibs in my Talon pack and use the bottle holder in an ad hoc way like before.
I may just try one of the shaped Apidura bladders in the bottom of my frame pack with a divider above it.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC