OT: posh cheese on toast

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

OT: posh cheese on toast

Post by TheBrownDog »

I had friends round mine (remember doing that?) on Sunday afternoon for a BBQ and I bought some lovely Wensleydale from M&S and a fruited bread loaf. Well, one thing led to another and we didn't get to the cheese n bread, so I decided it would make a nice cheese on toast option for tea just now, with a side of sliced carrots, tomato and chunks of peppers.

Bloody lovely, but I am wishing now I'd gone the traditional cheese toastie route and done it in a pan, rather than crumbling the cheese over the toasted bread. I might try that for breakfast.

As you were.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Re: OT: posh cheese on toast

Post by RIP »

Random! :-bd

At least it was the bread that was fruited and not the cheese.

I mean fruited bread's ok, it's effectively a sort of scone or teacake (Reg prepares for onslaught of regional name differences...)

But fruited cheese? Absolutely not. It's an abomination. And given your post, strangely it's nearly always Wensleydale that is sullied. Wensleydale and blueberries... Wensleydale and apricots.... <shudder>
Last edited by RIP on Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Fruit in cheese is .... I can't even speak ... just gagging at the thought of it. It ruins the cheese. And yes it's always the Wensleydale that is sullied. Why? Super cheese. Gibbering now. Need some cheese.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

Fruit in cheese is still better than fruit on pizza!

But it's a distant second to a Stilton topped field mushroom on toast. :X
ton

Post by ton »

wensleydale and sliced apple sandwiches, made with soreen as the bread.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Can I share a random but excellent cheese on X tip? X being anything, toast, any form of carbs, pies, lasagna etc

When you get to the end of a block of cheese, crumble/grate/chop it up small then lob it in the freezer. Keep a container in the freezer with random bits of mixed up cheese. When you need it, take it straight from the tub in the freezer and stick it on X. It'll be a mix of all sorts - blue, smelly, soft, hard, italian, french etc. It's ace :-bd
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Mmm now I want some Wensleydale with cranberries
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Left over cheese? Not in my house Ben. My kids inhale the stuff.
RIP

Post by RIP »

In a similar vein, any professional ice cream eater knows that the one true flavour is of course vanilla. Any added flavours are there solely and merely to obscure any inferiority of the underlying ice cream. Bit like how they added loads of spices to rancid meat in medieval times. Or those fancy sauces in France apparently.

I refer to my recent experience with Cadwaladr's in Criccieth. Lots of rank amateurs requesting strawberry... mint choc... bubblegum.... sauces... flakes and gawd knows what else. The counter operatives doling it out uninterestedly.

Reg: "medium vanilla cone please". Sudden hush. "Surely a flake with that?". "no thank you". Lots of whispering, giggling behind hands (*), and looks of awe. "We hope you enjoy it". Lots of smiles all round. Was half expecting a spontaneous round of applause and a year's supply of (vanilla) ice cream :smile: .

(*) and, yes, I did detect some coquettish (**)
fluttering of eyelashes too. Honestly.

(**) I've never been entirely clear what this means. And I suspect I'm unlikely to find out while Mrs Perrin is hovering around. Sshh! Yes yes, coming dear, I'll be right there.
Last edited by RIP on Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Fook knows how Tim but you've just started Thread Of The Week here.

And it's not even Friday.

RIP

Post by RIP »

benp1 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:15 pm When you get to the end of a block of cheese, crumble/grate/chop it up small then lob it in the freezer. Keep a container in the freezer with random bits of mixed up cheese. When you need it, take it straight from the tub in the freezer and stick it on X. It'll be a mix of all sorts - blue, smelly, soft, hard, italian, french etc. It's ace :-bd
You're just weird Ben

( :-bd :grin: )

RIP

Post by RIP »

To branch out a bit more.... not a big fan of Wensleydale TBH (nice enough, but... well, you know...) and not a big fan of fruit cake either.... but... break off a bit of Wensleydale.. pull off a bit of cake.... shove 'em both in your gob at the same time.... masticate (noooo.. masticate, per-lease)... and it's like .. I dunno... a sensory explosion..

No idea why but there it is.
Last edited by RIP on Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Reg I can see your point on the vanilla ice cream but please don’t tell me you’re that bloke in the pub who comes back with ready salted crisps along with his round?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
RIP

Post by RIP »

:grin:

No no, crisps are a different matter entirely of course. Absolutely anything goes. The whole point is to astound or gross out your mates. Jalapeno Extra Hot. Bag each for everyone.

I found some tomato ones the other day. Multipack. Bought 3 for 2. Really rare they are. As rare as... well, tomato crisps.
Last edited by RIP on Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:55 pmBut fruited cheese? Absolutely not. It's an abomination.
TheBrownDog wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:04 pmFruit in cheese is .... I can't even speak ... just gagging at the thought of it. It ruins the cheese.
These are my people.
Rob S wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:12 pmFruit in cheese is still better than fruit on pizza!
But it's a distant second to a Stilton topped field mushroom on toast. :X
I think you just about rescued it towards the end there.
UnderTheRadars wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:29 pm Mmm now I want some Wensleydale with cranberries
Heretic.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

On the subject of spicy crisps, part of my working life involved the production of food packaging, including crisp packs. Anyone remember Really Ruthless Crisps? They were designed as a sort of oral anesthetic and sold in pubs to make you drink more beer. I spent many hours on the production line in Skelmersdale, the spice coating process was pretty agricultural involving shovels and cement mixers. Never really fancied a pack thereafter.
Boab

Post by Boab »

RIP wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:55 pm (Reg prepares for onslaught of regional name differences...)
Ooooo, haven't baked a Selkirk bannock in a while, might have to get one of those on for the weekend.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

(OT: I can see you logged in there Kev, just get yer emails read, and convince Pete he's not really too busy in September :smile: )

The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I was out on the sesh in Manchester a few years ago, and after a good few real ales in the northern quarter we found a pop up cheese on toast restaurant. It was the perfect mid-session snack, and fortified us until we found a late night curry house at daft o'clock in the morning.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Branston pickle or other sweet pickles are virtually fruit & cheese. can you guess my preference :-bd
Fruit cake & cheese* or better fruit cake in the cheese.
(Digs tha' tin 'at and await a verbal artillery onslaught) :???: :grin:

* a fine Yorkshire tradition.
Edit correctected typos, /translated from Inglish!
Last edited by ledburner on Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Boab

Post by Boab »

I tried mango chutney under the cheese when I last made cheese on toast. Was surprisingly good, if slightly volcanic...

I also once had an apple pie that had a massive layer of mature cheddar under the top crust, that was odd.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.