'Ere Jeff, check this guy out.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

'Ere Jeff, check this guy out.

Post by fatbikephil »

Someone's copying you.....
https://bikepacking.com/plog/chasing-altitude-film/
Guy pushes his bike up a hill, bivvies, rides down. Complete with a load of existential twaddle on the voice over. For some reason his load weighed 50 lbs, maybe he had 12 cans of stella with him :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Re: 'Ere Jeff, check this guy out.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lad needs to TLS :wink:

Great thing to do and a good thing to document but yeah, self-indulgent twaddle is always off putting for me.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ton

Post by ton »

did he go for a week ?

imho most of the stuff on the bikepacking site is complete bollox.
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

Why on earth did he take a 50 pound pack for a few hours kip? 😂😂😂
May satan walk with you
RIP

Post by RIP »

ssnowman wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:21 pm Why on earth did he take a 50 pound pack for a few hours kip? 😂😂😂
Tunnocks...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

The usual self-promotional, pseudo spiritual, deep and meaningless , cringeingly embarassing bollox. And 50lbs of what? A whole spare bike and his over inflated ego? I do wish Bikepacking.com would be a bit more selective about what they feature on the site ( and go a bit easier on the virtue signalling)
HUX

Post by HUX »

Really struggled to watch that. Amazing scenery and looked a good little trip out but that blokes voice and the scripted sub standard he was reading out was utter bollox.
atk

Post by atk »

Looks pretty cool. Easy enough to mute the narration. Props to the guy for (I assume) just throwing a bunch of stuff he had in a rucksack and getting on with it. Would have been easy to spend days/dollars on lighter kit and never actually make it out for the sunrise.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:34 pm Lad needs to TLS :wink:
Aye, and cut down on the luggage.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
jameso

Post by jameso »

I enjoyed that. Ok the narration can sound a little cliched, he just sounds like an intelligent guy doing something genuinely new to him (explains the heavy pack!). Just look a that place though, the ride down was incredible. Colorado often looks like biking heaven. Easy to forget what the altitude must be like.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

... Would have been easy to spend days/dollars on lighter kit and never actually make it out for the sunrise.
A good point :-bd

Edit - watched it. Initial voice over really off putting but by a minute or two it's fine. I think he eases off the overly dramatic emphasis as the film goes on and, I suspect, you get used to the cadence and intonation of the particular US accent.

50lbs of gear sounds grim but if he's talking 15 farenheit / -10 celsius (?) then fair play you'd need some gear and the water / food could be a chunk (particularly the water, looked a wee bit dry). Must have been equally grim to ride back down with but he sounds like he's having a hoot and popping mauals with that much weight to judge :-bd

And then you get the views, the panorama of the sunrise ....... feckin' stunning

Hats off to him, wish it was me :cool: :cool:

Could I also point some of our learned friends here to the kitchen sink packing of some for the BB events (for example) and that's for the frankly paltry heights of a wet and grey mid-Wales. Can I just point and laugh :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edit-edit - from 09:45 - I thought he summed up what seems to come up on here enough rather well - [paraphrase] when you make it through the Type 3 it makes the experience all the more worth it.

HYOH :cool:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:37 am Must have been equally grim to ride back down with but he sounds like he's having a hoot and popping mauals with that much weight to judge :-bd
Perhaps you've stumbled on the reason for all that weight on his back there... :wink:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

As pink as a whale's dick
:lol: :lol:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Didn’t think it was too bad. Either I was expecting something dreadful from the comments or I’ve been caught out for once in a good mood :cool:

The photography was stunning, some great shots in that film :-bd
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Yeah, I really liked it once we moved past the knob narrative in the first two minutes. And I will never judge anyone for carrying too much gear. My only thought on this was that he didn't have a proper chair.

Done some enduropacking in my time, but it has only really involved a big back pack and riding my bouncer to the local bike park at Aston Hill and then kipping in Wendover Woods. Great fun, eh what?
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

TheBrownDog wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:28 pm My only thought on this was that he didn't have a proper chair.
:grin:

I want to see you bring a chaise longue to one of our japes. You'll be able to recline languidly whilst being fed grapes and having your bike and helmet polished by assorted groupies. Or is that fed gropes by assembled grapies?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:45 pm
TheBrownDog wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:28 pm My only thought on this was that he didn't have a proper chair.
:grin:

I want to see you bring a chaise longue to one of our japes. You'll be able to recline languidly whilst being fed grapes and having your bike and helmet polished by assorted groupies. Or is that fed gropes by assembled grapies?
Ahh what a picture you paint....