Saddle for all day comfort

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Saddle for all day comfort

Post by Boab »

I think it's time to accept that I need a new saddle...

I was thinking of an Ergon SR Pro, but after reading this review of the carbon railed one, I'm left wondering if a fully channel'd saddle would be a better option. So... I know saddles are a totally personal thing, but anyone got any recommendations for one that would be as comfy on a 200 KM ride as it would on a 20 KM ride...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Pirahna

Re: Saddle for all day comfort

Post by Pirahna »

Borrow some to try out. Where abouts are you?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Saddles are a bugbear of mine so am interested to see what you finally go with. Basically my arse bones are covered with 1 micron of fat and then the three skin layers, so no padding at all. Have not found a saddle over 50 years that I'm totally happy with.

Coincidentally I've just swapped my own saddle out after years of wear. And replaced it with exactly the same - Sele X0, the one with a hole to trap your knackers in. It's the best of a bad bunch for me. There was a sale on years ago and I bought five so I'm good until the end of time.

I once read about a transverse saddle which claimed to be super comfy. It was basically a simple cylinder shape at right angles to the direction of travel.

Can't find that one now but this is another angle on the problem - I might give one a try!

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Or these? And yes I'm serious. The razor-blade style doesn't work well enough for me.

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I always used to use SDG like that. Now use Ergon on MTB and Pro Turnix on drop bar bikes. Both an improvement on the SDGs (which I thought were great - if creaky). Also have a Brooks Cambium which was instantly comfortable.

@RIP - I suspect they'll only work on very upright bikes.
RIP

Post by RIP »

boxelder wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:09 pm @RIP - I suspect they'll only work on very upright bikes.
You might be right yes. For example without a nose there's nothing to "push" against in that direction. Hmm.

Tempted by that first one though. Conversation piece if nowt else!

RIP

Post by RIP »

Certainly some innovative ideas out there. Possibly a little bit too "out there" in this case. Hmm...

Boab

Post by Boab »

Pirahna wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:56 pm Borrow some to try out. Where abouts are you?
In between Cambridge and Haverhill. I might pop into Aerocycles, they have a load of Fizik test saddles on the wall, might ask if I can try one or two.
RIP wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:45 pm Certainly some innovative ideas out there. Possibly a little bit too "out there" in this case. Hmm...

Is that made from coat hangers...? 😲

I like the look of the Fabirc Line saddles, but I need one that naturally points down, as the seatpost doesn't have much pitch adjustability. I do have an old Spesh saddle, but due to the seatpost, I can't use it. So I suppose the other option is a betterer seatpost... 🤔

johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

While trying to find somewhere that had WTB Pure V in stock I think I saw that CRC/Wiggle will sell you a "tester pack" of about a dozen different WTB saddles. I'm assuming it's a deposit rather than a bulk discount for buying one of everything...
ton

Post by ton »

i have a new unused wtb volt you can have FOC. sat gathering dust in my bike shed.
Boab

Post by Boab »

ton wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:21 pm i have a new unused wtb volt you can have FOC. sat gathering dust in my bike shed.
What width, I'd be after a 142mm. Looking at the photos on the WTB site, it might suffer from the same issue with my seatpost as my old Spesh saddle, only one way to find out though...
ton

Post by ton »

it is 135mm x 260mm. quite narrow ?
Boab

Post by Boab »

ton wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:34 pm it is 135mm x 260mm. quite narrow ?
No harm in giving it a shot. I'll send you a PM...
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I've got a Fizik Aliante up on Classifieds if its of any interest to you.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I was looking for a WTB Comfort saddle but failed to find one so settled for an Ergon.
It was not a success so now wondering if a silicon injection in my arse might be the way to go.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Robster

Post by Robster »

RIP wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:56 pm Saddles are a bugbear of mine so am interested to see what you finally go with. Basically my arse bones are covered with 1 micron of fat and then the three skin layers, so no padding at all. Have not found a saddle over 50 years that I'm totally happy with.

Coincidentally I've just swapped my own saddle out after years of wear. And replaced it with exactly the same - Sele X0, the one with a hole to trap your knackers in. It's the best of a bad bunch for me. There was a sale on years ago and I bought five so I'm good until the end of time.

I once read about a transverse saddle which claimed to be super comfy. It was basically a simple cylinder shape at right angles to the direction of travel.

Can't find that one now but this is another angle on the problem - I might give one a try!

Strangely I know someone who had one of those saddles. His report was that they worked better when wearing jeans.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I know it's a very personal thing and some on this thread have already said they don't get on with them but I'm very pleased with the Ergon saddles that I have on my mountain bikes and am now intending to try one of the roady ones on my gravel bike in place of the super expensive Selle Italia that's currently on it. I have to say though that they weren't immediately comfy feeling and it took a few rides to get used to them and they are expensive for what they are (especially compared to some of the beautiful Italian or Brookes saddle where you can see what you're getting for your money). Definitely wouldn't go for carbon rails either, they're notorious for snapping afaik.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

WTB speeds - I've yet to find anything comfier. Rockets are nearly as good and OK on a gravel bike (thats what is on my Straggler). Ergons and Charge spoons good for 5 hours max.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Robster wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:54 pm Strangely I know someone who had one of those saddles. His report was that they worked better when wearing jeans.
Ta. Wonder why jeans were better. Tighter so less rub presumably. The two halves of the saddle are adjustable laterally, ie you can make the gap bigger or smaller, which is interesting. Would imagine it's a bit of a porker though.

Instead of worrying about my saddle I think I need to pluck up courage and try Stu's 'go commando' technique instead of padded inner shorts, which sounds counter-intuitive with my non-existent body fat padding but probably isn't.

lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

FWIW my most comfy saddles are/have been.

Brooks B17 - upright touring bike
Brooks Swift - MTB
Selle Italia Flite 1990 - Fargo
Selle Italia SLR - proper road bike.

I recently switched to a Brooks C17 on my upright bikepacking MTB and find the comfort way less than that of either of the two Brooks leather saddles I’ve used.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ton

Post by ton »

I am using a Brooks c19.
It is quite comfy but could be a bit better.
The smp thing with the broken nose on my surly is comfier
techno

Post by techno »

ton wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:29 am ...The smp thing with the broken nose on my surly is comfier
i use an SMP TRK and i love it.
it's this one i think: https://www.lordgunbicycles.co.uk/selle ... olor=Black
they do a ton of width/padding/material options: https://www.sellesmp.com/en/
and theres a guide to which might be suitable.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Luckily, my lardy arse seems happy with a fairly wide range of saddles.

I tend to use a Charge Spoon or the Madison equivalent on MTBs. I find them as comfy as anything else for long rides.

On the road bike I have a knock-off of the Specialized Power saddle. Not done great distance on it yet but it feels good so far.

Then, at the other end of the spectrum, I have an ancient Flite that came on a cross bike from Ebay. I thought it would be awful but it’s like an old armchair
Boab

Post by Boab »

Charliecres wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:59 pm On the road bike I have a knock-off of the Specialized Power saddle. Not done great distance on it yet but it feels good so far.
I really fancy trying a Specialized Power, but [insert deity here], they ain't half expensive...
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Charliecres wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:59 pm
Then, at the other end of the spectrum, I have an ancient Flite that came on a cross bike from Ebay. I thought it would be awful but it’s like an old armchair
The Flite was always my go to MTB saddle back in the day but I used to find that the cover would wear out fairly quickly on them (being leather and exposed to lots of mud). Still the coolest looking saddle ever imho.
On the road I used to use a San Marco Rolls which was good but I bought an old hack winter bike that came with basic Selle Italia Turbo on it and that thing was fantastic. I always meant to try a Turbomatic but never did.
Nowadays I find a cut away is vital and so anything without doesn't get considered. I'm not sure if the numbness thing has got worse or whether I just used to be able to ignore it more but it seems to be more of an issue now (especially on the MTB where I tend to climb sitting down).