Saddle for all day comfort

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dyffers

Re: Saddle for all day comfort

Post by Dyffers »

Jurassic wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:12 pm ...Turbomatic...
I reckon I've got one of those languishing in my massive box of 'never use again but not worth the effort of selling' saddles.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

My two pence worth for all day comfort:

Noseless saddles are a bit marmite but can be really comfy for longer rides with more seated pedalling; my long-distance road bike sports an ugly but effective ISM Adamo since 2018.
Very lightweight carbon railed / shelled saddles are often very flexy and therefore comfier than their crmo-railed equivalent (but usually significantly pricier).
Brooks can be good but have an equal chance of being the least comfortable saddle you've ever sat on, and unlike most other saddles once you've deformed it in a rain shower the resale can be a problem. If it doesn't deform in numerous rain showers it's going to be an ass hatchet. And they weigh a metric f**ktonne.
A big sponge 300g+ WTB saddle at £30 is your best chance of high comfort/cost ratio.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Boab

Post by Boab »

Charliecres wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:17 pm This is the Power copy I have

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EC90-Professio ... B07V7BT3FZ
I've looked at those in the past, certainly a cheap way of finding out if a short nosed saddle is for you or not I suppose.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Boab

Post by Boab »

So... Sat on one of those bum width thingies at a bike shop the other day, and I have a fatter arse that I thought I did. 😯
The saddle Ton kindly sent me to try, is too narrow and I can't get it pointing down far enough anyway. So if anyone fancies trying a narrow WTB Volt, then send me a PM and I'll send it on.

While at the bike shop, I handled a fi’zi:k Terra Argo X5, which looks like it might fit the bill. Bike shop didn't have the narrower 150mm wide one, so would have to order one in. Has anyone used one...?
ton

Post by ton »

The saddle Ton kindly sent me to try, is too narrow

can you imagine my 20 stone arse on that knife like saddle.............. :lol:
Boab

Post by Boab »

ton wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:21 pm
The saddle Ton kindly sent me to try, is too narrow
can you imagine my 20 stone arse on that knife like saddle.............. :lol:
🙈
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

woodsmith wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:37 pm I've got a Fizik Aliante up on Classifieds if its of any interest to you.
I bought a carbon railed one of those, mainly because it was light. Turned out to be very comfy after my arse got used to it 80-90 miles no worries. My all time favourite has to be the brooks B17, once broken in you just don’t notice it, my longest ride on one was 130 miles and no butt problems. Pain to look after however.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Charliecres wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:59 pm Luckily, my lardy arse seems happy with a fairly wide range of saddles.
I read that as
Luckily, my lardy arse seems happy
on the road /tourer bike I have a B17 Narrow, & alternate be twee a generic cube and the Burgtec 'The Cloud' from SeanIOW, I prefer slightly firmer narrow saddles with a suspension seat post.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

numbness time to get out of the saddle for a few turns to renew circulation..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

numbness time to get out of the saddle for a few turns to renew circulation..
anagallis_arvensis

Post by anagallis_arvensis »

K1100T wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:44 pm
Charliecres wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:17 pm This is the Power copy I have

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EC90-Professio ... B07V7BT3FZ
I've looked at those in the past, certainly a cheap way of finding out if a short nosed saddle is for you or not I suppose.
A Spesh Concept Store will very likely lend you one to try
Boab

Post by Boab »

woodsmith wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:37 pm I've got a Fizik Aliante up on Classifieds if its of any interest to you.
Totally missed this first time, round. :shrug: I'm after a saddle with a cut out, that one doesn't look overly comfy for the position I'd be in. One like the version BigdummySteve was letting go might fit the bill though...
anagallis_arvensis wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:07 am A Spesh Concept Store will very likely lend you one to try
I keep meaning to visit the one Chelmsford, but it's a bit of a trek just to look at a saddle. Now if I could persuade my wife that she needs a TURBO LEVO SL, then I'd have a proper reason to visit. 😂
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I now have a Spesh Power Expert Mimic 143mm saddle on all my bikes.

Fantastically comfortable.
RIP

Post by RIP »

The Saga Of Reg's Rear continues. That "twin cheeks" saddle I bought a while ago has had a lot of use now and has indeed stopped all the chafing and soreness and whatnot. I no longer Walk Like John Wayne. However, predictably it hasn't done a lot of good for bike [thighs] control, and I now Ride Like John Wayne a little bit instead unfortunately. So the enormous trench down the middle is what Reg wants but in a slightly more conventional configuration. Cue a search for "largest saddle cutout". Didn't take long for a couple of Selle examples to come up, and I like Selle already.

One was the SLR Boost Superflow. Could have had a Special Edition for £59 down from £129, or a Ti one for £180 :smile: . Looked a bit firm and narrow though.

So instead went with the S5 Superflow, wider and bit more padding. The wide channel isn't a long as the SLR though so fingers crossed. "Twin Cheeks" has been relegated to another bike for shorter non-technical trips. If anyone has the SLR unwanted, I'll take it off your hands though :smile: .

Last edited by RIP on Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Al

Post by Al »

I had to give my choice of saddles a serious rethink after upsetting my prostate a year ago :oops:

Needed to be something with a decent channel and a fairly flat shape.

After trying quite a wide range I settled on wtb volts on everything but the gravel bike.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I picked up a Terra Argo x3 last week for my gravel bike, wanted to try something with a channel, I hope it feels better on a ride than just sitting on the bike at home. The ridge around the outside seems to sit just where I don't want it on the 150mm variant, quite firm too

Got a 30 mile loop planned for Friday am so I'll see how it goes.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Shewie wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:57 pm Got a 30 mile loop planned for Friday am so I'll see how it goes.
I nearly bought one of those earlier in the year, but ended up buying a different seatpost so I could fit an old saddle I had kicking around. Let us know how you get on...
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Maybe I'm being over cynical but a lot of these saddles seem to be a product of the styling dept rather than a backside expert. And why is it when you finally find one that fits when you go to buy a spare its been discontinued. I guess thats one area where Brookes wins out.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

woodsmith wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:13 am Maybe I'm being over cynical but a lot of these saddles seem to be a product of the styling dept rather than a backside expert. And why is it when you finally find one that fits when you go to buy a spare its been discontinued. I guess thats one area where Brookes wins out.
As far as I can think back I've been riding Selle Italia SLR (mostly the Ti) version. Still available in exactly the same shape and material as decades ago.
I get them in the Ti Version for 70.- chf :-bd
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

woodsmith wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:13 am Maybe I'm being over cynical but a lot of these saddles seem to be a product of the styling dept rather than a backside expert. And why is it when you finally find one that fits when you go to buy a spare its been discontinued. I guess thats one area where Brookes wins out.
I'm hoping Phil Burt knows his stuff and the Argo turns out to be a gem