And now for something completely different...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: And now for something completely different...

Post by sean_iow »

I can get to the shop on my mobile now :-bd

I feel I should buy something to celebrate but not sure Jane would see the bear being a link to the homepage as a reasonable reason :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
The Boss
Site Admin

Post by The Boss »

New header up so you can access all areas of the site now.

In answer to some of your comments:

The forum is now a fluid design to match the site. If you want a fixed width, reduce the width of your browsing window to suit your requirements.

If you can't read anything just magnify your browser window: command + on mac and control + on pc (I think).

No dark theme was suitable for the upgrade so enjoy the grey and red instead. Yes I could piss about with style sheets but as some kind, observant person said, I do all this gratis!

If you want to convey secrets to other members, send a private message.

And by the time you've read this, you'll have got used to the new look and be wondering what all the fuss and discussion was about :-P
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:28 am
pistonbroke wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:59 am Feels like having replaced an old comfy but knackered sofa with a sleek Ikea replacement, initially intimidating but we'll learn to tolerate it.
:grin:

Or - since we've previously agreed This Place is a pub (sorry Shaf) - the Red Lion replaced by an All-Bar-One (if anyone remembers them from the 80's). Or, more appositely, by a Slug and Lettuce :smile: .
:lol: no need to be sorry Reg... Public house is a public house. We're not treating each other to beers (maybe virtual) so it's all good for me. No need to go frequent myself on STW...

Nice makeover btw Dee/Stu... Twas a slight shock to the system but appears nice now that it's becoming normal
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Blimey. I go away for a few days bikepacking and when I come back its all changed :o
Cheers Stu and Dee, keep up the good work.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

And by the time you've read this, you'll have got used to the new look and be wondering what all the fuss and discussion was about :-P
Never a truer word :-bd
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

2C10A62D-7167-4093-87C2-4EC1C95EFF4A.png
2C10A62D-7167-4093-87C2-4EC1C95EFF4A.png (195.01 KiB) Viewed 2268 times
Could the header be made a bit smaller on the mobile view? Just thinking of those extra calories required to scroll down

Loving the new look
The Boss
Site Admin

Post by The Boss »

Shewie wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:06 am 2C10A62D-7167-4093-87C2-4EC1C95EFF4A.png

Could the header be made a bit smaller on the mobile view? Just thinking of those extra calories required to scroll down

Loving the new look
I'm on it!
redefined_cycles

Last edited by redefined_cycles on Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

EDIT - Ignore me, this doesn't really makesense now Shaf's deleted his post :roll:

These sort of debates used to go round and round on STW (and other forums, one of which I was responsible for). It's a tedious load of bobbins, IMO :cool:

Most folks selling on here seem to be "on" the forum (I haven't counted, I don't really care, it's just a stab in the dark). Some people read, lurk and then occasionally just post FS, far enough IMO. Not everyone shoots as much sh!t as Reg, does whatever you want to call what you do Shaf, is as grump as Scot etc.*

However, posting links to eBay tho is bollocks. That's just advertising your gear and if that's what you want to do (whether regular poster or lurker) I'd say bog off. Either sell it on the forum or don't post about it an d clutter up this area of digital ether. I'm not having a go or singling out the chap who's leg I pulled about it, I meant every :cool: and :wink: but as a wider point it's something that gets my goat.

Then again it ain't my forum, I'm not complaining and I reckon S&D have enough stuff to do :-bd

If folks want to support the Bear maybe consider sticking a couple of quid on a monthly payment to them via PP. When you consider a mag subscription is what, £5 a month? Then the price of a pint or half seems quite good value for the creation, maintenance and (occasional) policing of this area of iniquity :grin:

* I wouldn't be without their overall contributions and mentioning them is just lazy, first-thing-comes-to-mind typing :cool:
Last edited by Cheeky Monkey on Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

If you can't read anything just magnify your browser window: command + on mac and control + on pc (I think)
I am at 150% [ and the texts is set in browser for largests

1. The logo takes up the entire screen originally there is no thread
2.the texts is still the smallest text I see on any website [ its great contrast so I can generally read it] so it must be something set at your end not mine [ at 200% its the same size as the BBC at 150]
Not really moaning ,as i realise its free [ I feed the bear annually] , just letting you know
redefined_cycles

I deleted my post with three dots as I realised after that it might sound a bit out of place :smile:

Soz
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

The Boss wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:12 am
Shewie wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:06 am 2C10A62D-7167-4093-87C2-4EC1C95EFF4A.png

Loving the new look
I'm on it!
That's much better, thanks Dee :-bd
The Boss
Site Admin

Post by The Boss »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:14 pm
If you can't read anything just magnify your browser window: command + on mac and control + on pc (I think)
I am at 150% [ and the texts is set in browser for largests

1. The logo takes up the entire screen originally there is no thread
2.the texts is still the smallest text I see on any website [ its great contrast so I can generally read it] so it must be something set at your end not mine [ at 200% its the same size as the BBC at 150]
Not really moaning ,as i realise its free [ I feed the bear annually] , just letting you know
Which browser are you using and on what platform?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

good point Windows 10 and Chrome
FWIW its a lot better [ smaller logo and bigger text on Firefox [ same computer and zoom] as i just tried
It may be my issue rather than yours !
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I'm using Chrome at the moment and it's showing up perfect. Same on Safari on my phone. Haven't yet tried Edge or IE
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

As an aside, I can't wait for Microsoft to finally kill off IE so that I don't have to support it any more.
The Boss
Site Admin

Post by The Boss »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:48 pm good point Windows 10 and Chrome
FWIW its a lot better [ smaller logo and bigger text on Firefox [ same computer and zoom] as i just tried
It may be my issue rather than yours !
I'm glad you've sussed it out :grin:
PaulB2 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:49 pm As an aside, I can't wait for Microsoft to finally kill off IE so that I don't have to support it any more.
Oh tell me about it! My biggest enemy is Firefox's colour management, causes me no end of problems x( Why can't there be one industry standard? That's a rhetorical question btw :lol:
Jaycee

Post by Jaycee »

‘ If you can't read anything just magnify your browser window: command + on mac and control + on pc (I think).

No dark theme was suitable for the upgrade so enjoy the grey and red instead. Yes I could piss about with style sheets but as some kind, observant person said, I do all this gratis!’

I visit almost daily, however I don’t login as I’m not required to.

As for magnify, yes I could. But. I generally read on a mobile or a tablet.
Mobile phone is pretty much a no go now due to small fonts and too wide to read on without sliding back and forth.
Tablet marginally easier, although still poor.
In summary I’ve already visited less. Guess your site visit numbers will show.

You say you do this for free, however lost footfall is hard to get back.
I may be mainly a ‘guest’ but I have sent three different people here and at least one has purchased a stove.
Getting the Style sheets right is not knocking your commitment.
We spend tens of thousands a year making sure people can read our sites.
If you can’t read forums and blogs on mobiles you’ve lost that person.

Check your analytics on what devices and browsers. Just saying. Good Luck.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I'm reading it comfortably on a Samsung J6 (dont ask me anything else, its a work phone so neither know nor care).

If you're going to give that sort of feedback it might be useful to mention the device/s you're struggling on?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I can't speak for viewing on Windows machines but ...

iPhone 6 (not sure which version of iOS but it's either the latest or one version behind): perfectly legible. Here's a (just about life size) screenshot:

iPad 2 (yes that old): again fine. The masthead is a little too big but I think that's basically down to the browser being so old it doesn't understand the rules surrounding it.

Compare with STW:

iPhone 6: jeez my eyes hurt!
iPad 2: won't load.

The long line length on big desktop monitors is a problem but it's one of those "current common practice" things that the web industry indulges in. Rather than have the content centred in a column with a fixed max width it's been decided to use the whole window width.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Not sure which has more ‘standards’, browsers or cycling.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

And STW doesn't have tomatoes.
(or is that just me)
trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

I particularly like that the bar at the top is pinned when you scroll.
thanks Dee and Stu for keeping this forum up and running, it's a great place to visit and has become a very welcome part of most days :-bd