And now for something completely different...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

And now for something completely different...

Post by Boab »

This place has undergone quite the facelift while I was off ice skating with my daughter...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Re: And now for something completely different...

Post by ScotRoutes »

Still no Dark Mode styles available :|
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Second post in and a whinge. Waytago :roll:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The link behind the bear doesn't go to the home page but to the forum homepage.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Oh no, new and scary! :lol:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Feels like having replaced an old comfy but knackered sofa with a sleek Ikea replacement, initially intimidating but we'll learn to tolerate it.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"Hmm" :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

pistonbroke wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:59 am Feels like having replaced an old comfy but knackered sofa with a sleek Ikea replacement, initially intimidating but we'll learn to tolerate it.
:grin:

Or - since we've previously agreed This Place is a pub (sorry Shaf) - the Red Lion replaced by an All-Bar-One (if anyone remembers them from the 80's). Or, more appositely, by a Slug and Lettuce :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Or an old bit of sacking over the shoulders replaced by an Outdry. Or a 26" 1986 Dawes Cougar replaced by a Stooge Mk4. Or a battered Macpac Microlight replaced by a Gatewood.

Not necessarily better, just different.

(Right, that's enough 'replacements' Reg, bugger off and have a brew there's a good chap)
Last edited by RIP on Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I don't mind the change but I do have one question, has the text got smaller or has my eyesight deteriorated (further) overnight? I'll have to buy stronger reading glasses :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yeah I agree Sean. Wasn't going to mention it :wink: . Less contrast too. Wasn't going to mention that either. Oops.

Lots of Shades Of Grey, plus red. Have we been subject to a sneaky buy-out by Branson?

Boab

Post by Boab »

The main issue, to my eyes at least, is the width. On my laptop I run the browser full screen, the old site had a max-width set, this one doesn't, so you end up with too many words on a line, making it hard to read. Ideally, from a UX point of view, you want no more than 14 words on a line...
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

This isn't coming from " I don't like change" but IMHO this new look is most definitely Not an improvement on the old one.
The Boss
Site Admin

Post by The Boss »

whitestone wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:15 pm The link behind the bear doesn't go to the home page but to the forum homepage.
The forum facelift isn't quite finished. Tomorrow there will be a new header that matches the main site so you will see a full site menu.

As for the whingers - the php version had to be upgraded, no choice in the matter. The old theme isn't compatible, end of story. Just pretend it's like when your local supermarket moves the stock around - you curse for the first few visits but soon get into the new layout :wink:

Dee
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I'm quite liking it. And TBH, this place is all about content, not the wrapper :wink:

Sorry Dee, doesn't mean I don't appreciate all your hard work :oops:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I actually prefer the new look. I hadn't made a link to Virgin though the colour scheme does remind me of something.

If I might make another request / suggestion / observation... hyperlinks are somewhat difficult to see as they use a smaller font. The stylesheet could be amended to resolve this.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Well I don't mind it. And I also haven't forgotten that this is run and maintained by volunteers who do other stuff as well (I was going to say "have jobs", but that's only Dee....)

Is there an option for a slightly larger text font though - Sean's glasses aren't strong enough?
Boab

Post by Boab »

slarge wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:58 am Well I don't mind it. And I also haven't forgotten that this is run and maintained by volunteers who do other stuff as well (I was going to say "have jobs", but that's only Dee....)

Is there an option for a slightly larger text font though - Sean's glasses aren't strong enough?
You can generally have your browser do that for you, hold down the CTRL key and then whack the + key, generally works...
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

No problem Dee. I only noticed it because I was looking for a review and the bear didn’t take me there :grin:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

K1100T wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:54 am The main issue, to my eyes at least, is the width. On my laptop I run the browser full screen, the old site had a max-width set, this one doesn't, so you end up with too many words on a line, making it hard to read. Ideally, from a UX point of view, you want no more than 14 words on a line...
Yeah, I thought the width was different. Couldn't really work out what was going on though, thanks for the explanation.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I just increase my resolution to 150% so I can read it.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

+1 for bigger font please.

Also as far as I am aware all posts on this forum are fully visible to the public without having to log in, ie via Google etc. I may be wrong about this but I am pretty sure it was the case when I last looked. If I am right about that then could we have it made so that you have to be logged in to read threads/posts? There have been quite a few times I have wished it wasn't so public in here. Like the time Ray stashed a full sack of coal near a bothy in advance of a planned gathering and posted here about it. When he went back for it it was gone.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If I am right about that then could we have it made so that you have to be logged in to read threads/posts?
No because that turns it into a 'club' or similar.
There have been quite a few times I have wished it wasn't so public in here. Like the time Ray stashed a full sack of coal near a bothy in advance of a planned gathering and posted here about it. When he went back for it it was gone
That's what private messages are for. People simply need to take responsibility for what they choose to write.
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

i left a few bars of gold hidden under my van when i parked up at the WRT just in case welsh establishments were accepting contactless payment. I misplaced them there. Just needs someone with a digger and some time to have a little look for them :grin:

Forum is good with me :-bd
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've used another phpBB forum that had a members-only section for arranging group rides. The concern was that advertising where a number of cars might be parked up for the day might encourage theft.

I can see the logic but then there's nothing to stop a car thief becoming a member.