Anyone ride track?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Anyone ride track?

Post by FLV »

Yeah, I know it's pretty far from bivvying on the side of a hill, but do we have any velodrome / track regulars?

I'm having a mini lull in enthusiasm for really long days out etc. A trip went wrong repeatedly in the last week which hasn't helped. I know it will pass.

I'm still enjoying riding, but more like a few hours on the MTB rather than all day out on mixed.

In the interest of mixing things up a bit, I'm considering having a go at the taster session in Manchester. I don't know if I will like it, but its probably the only mainstream cycling discipline I haven't tried.

So, anyone know?
Friendly and welcoming? Cliquey? Ok to dip in and out of? No good unless you commit every waking moment to it? Just another fun way to enjoy bikes?
I'd have to go alone likely, which may or may not make it worse / better...

Cheers.
Leerowe76

Re: Anyone ride track?

Post by Leerowe76 »

Rode Manchester Velodrome a few years back with a mate and a few of his mates with what was then Wrexham Tri Club, turned out to be a really good night tbf, fast paced and very hot. Take a few drinks and have fun :-bd , not something I'd take up but was ace to experience it.
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
Chew

Post by Chew »

Been to the velodrome in the past.
It’s good fun for an experience of having to ride fixed and use the banking, but it’s not something that adds appeal for repeat visits.

The BMX though…
That’s been on the list to go for a taster session
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Had one visit to Manchester Velodrome. This was with a club and we had an introductory hour with some tuition in what to do, rules, etc.

It's different. As Chew says, good for doing something different but not something I'd want to do regularly. The velodrome is also pretty warm and low humidity so you need to have quite a bit of water handy. It's also hard work, you have to go at a decent speed to avoid slipping on the banking* and with the bike being a fixie you can't coast. The hire bikes are also geared quite low so you have to spin at quite a rate to maintain speed.

*I always thought the banking was a sort of parabola in cross section with an easier angle at the bottom but it isn't: the blue zone at the bottom is flat then immediately the boards bank up at 40degs or whatever the angle is.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I raced for about 8 years before I stared taking CX seriously. Still have tro of my bikes. Though not ridden either in at least 10 years!

It’s a really specific type of racing. I miss the simplicity. I miss the training. I do not miss pulling splinters out of my legs/arms/face after crashes.

I used to race mainly sprint events. Was back in the days before I rode long. Hard to think I’d go back to those times of summers/autumns of gym work then racing winter and spring.

We used to come over from Ireland to race and train in Manchester. All pre the Team GB being dominant on the track. Informal training sessions lead by Jamie Staff for the sprinters. Would never happen now, training with the GB squad. Was at one of those sessions we saw the “sprint” bike that dominated in 2008 Olympics. It didn’t exist outside of the velodrome in 2006.

The league on Friday was always welcoming. Sessions in the velodrome require specific induction sessions. The club is excellent, cater to all ages.

I’d say try it. Do the hour taster. Do the inductions (used to be three sessions, last one an on bike exam of sorts). Then decide if it is for you.

If you do opt to race the Friday league - be aware there will be riders who have not done the inductions. The lower ability races can be sketchy. One of the advantages of being classed as “advanced” when we came over as international riders was that we got to skip all that!

The old Tuesday race sessions used to be elite/invite only. And there used to be sprint meets. Less crashes, tough races. My only claim to fame was beating Lizzy Armisted in a points race one of those meets.... she was 15/16 at the time and I only did it barely!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

whitestone wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:55 pm
*I always thought the banking was a sort of parabola in cross section with an easier angle at the bottom but it isn't: the blue zone at the bottom is flat then immediately the boards bank up at 40degs or whatever the angle is.
Manchester is 42 at its steepest. Not all tracks are the same either. A lot of tracks at built to “Manchester standard” which is sort of the spec now. Straights vary in length. Newport in Wales is almost a bowl, great for sprinters, horrendous for endurance lot.

The curves are odd. Corners 1 and 3 are the same shape (easy in to steep) and corners 2 and 4 are the same ( steep in to steep out) this allows the acceleration out. But they are not symmetrical 1 to 2 and 3 to 4. Older tracks are, like Glasgow and it’s noticeable how much slower to accelerate out of turn 4 on a 200m sprint.

Then you have places like Ghent at. 333m track, ace for endurance riders. Then the 6 day tracks which are very shallow (22) but wide and faaaast.

Strangest track I’ve ridden either Moscow (49 degrees in the turn, scary tight turn) and Alkmaar (500m track, have to duck under a rafter in the top of turn 1 as the roof is so low)
FLV

Post by FLV »

Interesting stuff. No current regulars but sounds like it might be friendly enough to have a try
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Interesting that Greg. Didn't realise the entry and exit to the bends was different. When commentators talk about "this or that track being fast" they tend to go on about the atmospheric conditions. I suppose it's a bit like modern composite athletics tracks: they can be harder which is great for the sprinters or "springy" which is better for the distance runners.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Yes the tracks are odd. Individual almost. The wood used also has a huge effect. The original boards at Manchester (for the commonwealths) were amazingly fast (Skia IIRC). THen they changed them....they were slower. Then they did it again in the lead into London...and they screwed it up, track became incredibly slippy. The wood hadn't been aged and it was really, really greasy. Took ages to fix.

London track itself is interesting. It's identical in every way to Bejing. Atmosphere control for temp and humidity in the building also. And the Majorca track... a copy again of the London track. A lot of money goes into the sport to build a track that is to be raced on for an Olympic cycle. Inevitable that somewhere, there will have been a copy of the Japanese track built.

Only way I'll go back to track is when Hope build the track they have money squirrelled away for. It's planned to be built above the new carbon R&D facility in Barnoldswick.
FLV

Post by FLV »

GregMay wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 3:48 pm

Only way I'll go back to track is when Hope build the track they have money squirrelled away for. It's planned to be built above the new carbon R&D facility in Barnoldswick.
Why's that Greg, travel distance?
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Pretty much. Easy to get to from work - and avoids the nonsense of Manchester traffic and the M60/62.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The Hope track would be really handy - Barlick is twenty minutes away!
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I used to. Really miss a good session at Newport. Such a good workout and really ups your bike handling skills.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Nothing like as much experience as some above, but I've done a couple of taster sessions and a couple of private ones at Manchester. Absolutely loved it, and if it wasn't for the crappy traffic in Glossop and having 2 small kids I'd be over from Sheffield at least once or twice a month. Really fancy a go at pursuit, or maybe even flying kilometre, maybe once the kids are a bit older I'll get into it.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I did a taster in London. Really enjoyed it and I can see how it could be addictive but I’d need a track on my doorstep to do it regularly.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

The BMX though…
That’s been on the list to go for a taster session
Done its few times and someone always crashes * and thankfully I have not lost the ability to lift and roll a jump

* techncally lots crash but one bad one
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I used to go about once a month for about 3 years.
Really enjoyed it at Newport but I haven’t been for a couple of years now. Still got my track bike and will go again at some point.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I'd probably be up for joining you Dave if you want someone to laugh at.

I've done the BMX there a couple of times and it's tremendous fun.
FLV

Post by FLV »

In Reverse wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:47 pm I'd probably be up for joining you Dave if you want someone to laugh at.

I've done the BMX there a couple of times and it's tremendous fun.
Nice one - be good for 2 of us to make tit's of ourselves at the same time :-bd
I'll have a look into it.

My lad (5yo) does BMX at least once a week. He makes it look easier than it is last I tried!