Tubeless with non tubeless ready tyres?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

Tubeless with non tubeless ready tyres?

Post by woodsmith »

Bought a couple of Maxxis Chronicles from a Polish eBay seller ( not the one in the 29+ thread as far as I'm aware).
Turned out in spite of the (stock) photo that they aren't tubeless ready.
I'd love to avoid the cost and agro of sending them back so can I run them tubeless? Are they going to blow off the rims or just endlessly bleed sealant? And no, I'm never going back to using tubes.
Lazarus

Re: Tubeless with non tubeless ready tyres?

Post by Lazarus »

Not sure about that model tyre but IME non tubeless tyres will go up and work fine but seepage rates from sidewalls will vary.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Non TR Maxxis tyres can develop the Maxxis Bubble when used with tubeless sealant. The tread delaminates from the carcass and causes a bubble on the tyre which gets gradually worse until it pops. Google Maxxis Bubble for pics. I had it happen on the Divide.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I've run non tubeless tyres tubeless on a few occasions without problems but never Maxxis.
FWIW I have tubeless ready DHF/Aggressor on my trail bike and both of them have seeped sealant through the sidewalls from new despite being tubeless ready.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For my money, it depends on the rim. If you're rims are tubeless, then no problem but I once had a non-tubeless tyre explode off a non-tubeless rim at speed. Quite worrying it was but it wasn't a Maxxis. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I’ve tried it once with a bontrager tyre, absolutely rubbish, just wouldn’t seal (whereas bontrager tubeless tyres are one of the easiest to do as a tubeless setup)
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I'm pretty blasé about MTB tyres pressure on wide rims. For years I had an old non-tubeless Bonty on a P35 rim which I don't think was officially tubeless; no issues.

Obviously road tubeless is the work of the devil (and in my opinion doesn't work at any reasonable road pressure but that's another discussion).
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

My experience of road tubeless is you can do it but they allways leak[ like a very slow puncture] - ok if the bike is used regularily but if left the tyre will deflate
My non tubeless tyres are Maxxis and one is at least 5 years old - ever had an issue so no idea what the chances are of a Maxxis bubble on a tyre