Cadence sensor on GX dub chainset - where do you mount yours?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

L2R24

Cadence sensor on GX dub chainset - where do you mount yours?

Post by L2R24 »

First ride out on the new bike tonight, and thought I'd throw on a Garmin cadence sensor before I left. There isn't room to clear the non-drive side chainstay (bike is running 29x2.35). There's just about enough room on the drive side crank, close to the chainring but that doesn't seem a sensible place to stick it. What do others do, or just not bother with cadence? I've always used one on the road and gravel bikes so would be good to have it on this too, though probably non-essential...
Boab

Re: Cadence sensor on GX dub chainset - where do you mount yours?

Post by Boab »

I wear my Wahoo one on my shoe, as there's not enough room next to my cranks either.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Skip the magnet they give you, use a slim Neodymium magnet where your pedal axle is.

Oh, and carry a spare somewhere, they can come off (I guess tape helps in this regard).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143588263722
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Richard G wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:37 am Skip the magnet they give you, use a slim Neodymium magnet where your pedal axle is.

Oh, and carry a spare somewhere, they can come off (I guess tape helps in this regard).

The Garmin Cadence sensor doesn't use the old-style magnet. It's a strap-on rubberised component.

Wearing it on a shoe is inspired. I need to try that.

FWIW I don't think cadence is as much of an issue on MTB as terrain impacts it so much. I guess that it'll depend where on the XC - DH gnarness scale you are riding.
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

K1100T wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:27 pm I wear my Wahoo one on my shoe, as there's not enough room next to my cranks either.
That's a good idea! I was considering whether I could attach it to the inside of the chainring, but as only 32t there ain't much room there either.

Other thought was, there are some large indents on the inside of the forged crankarms, and looks like the sensor would fit inside the largest of these. Bit of slim packing so no rattles, then something temporarily to hold it in place. Zip tie or electrical tape might do it, so still accessible for battery changes when needed?
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:18 am
Richard G wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:37 am Skip the magnet they give you, use a slim Neodymium magnet where your pedal axle is.

The Garmin Cadence sensor doesn't use the old-style magnet. It's a strap-on rubberised component.

Wearing it on a shoe is inspired. I need to try that.

FWIW I don't think cadence is as much of an issue on MTB as terrain impacts it so much. I guess that it'll depend where on the XC - DH gnarness scale you are riding.
From trying something ago
A shoe mounted Garmin cadence sensor didn’t work.
I presume because the sensor needs to measure a complete revolution, and a shoe mounted sensor never goes up-side-down
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:18 am The Garmin Cadence sensor doesn't use the old-style magnet. It's a strap-on rubberised component.
Ahh, you have the new one. I avoided that like the plague as it gave me really crappy readings offroad. I actually went out and bought four of the old style speed / cadence so I can go the rest of my life without having to switch.

GSC10 or nothing! :lol: