Which waterproof socks?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearlegged

Which waterproof socks?

Post by Bearlegged »

When it gets properly cold, dark and wet, I'll probably revert to my too-warm-for-anything-but-winter waterproof shoes plus gaiters, but until then, I'm willing to give don't-act-like-buckets-once-water-gets-in-at-the-top shoes plus some waterproof socks a go. I'm thinking ankle length, possibly with the addition of some Grip-Grab gaiters to (try to) prevent ingress of water round the top of the sock.

Trep used to recommend Bridgedales, but when I was chatting to her the other night she said Sealskinz are now her go to.
What say you, oh experienced and knowledgeable ones?
Shewie

Re: Which waterproof socks?

Post by Shewie »

I fell out with Sealskinz a lot of years ago, got sick of them failing after a couple of uses, I think the trick to these waterproof socks is to not stress the membrane too much if you can help it.

I use Showers Pass socks on hiking trips now but only around camp if my footwear is soaked, not used them on a bike yet

Not sure if they're still around but the black MOD oversocks used to be really good, I used those for canoe and kayak trips inside my 5:10 shoes.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Dexshell have been the best for me...
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've used SealSkinz knee highs with 3/4 shorts for 5 years or so now in winter and on bikepacking / touring trips - they need replacing because they leak a bit around the toes but not sure if that's age or because the ended up in the tumble dryer once by mistake - and I'll probably replace like with like.

In winter I occasionally use Endura overshoes as well but any great amount of hike a bike isn't kind on the stitching on the bottom and it starts to fray - so far at least that's mostly just been a cosmetic issue.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Non work, I now use Turkey bags :-bd
arkay

Post by arkay »

I have some On-One ones from Planet X. They are quite thick and stiff but they keep my feet warm and dry-ish and have a cheerful sheep pattern.

For cold and wet rides where I know I won't be out for days I often just use neoprene overshoes. They are not really waterproof but they act like wetsuit boots to keep your feet toasty, even if they do look a bit "special".
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The main thing about Sealskinz/Dexshell seems to be avoiding the washing machine as well as the tumble drier. I think the machine wash is too vigorous and pulls the membrane apart. Knee length are great for winter use as they avoid the main problem of water running into them from the top.

My favourite are still Goretex socks but the Gore ones I bought many years ago are beginning to fail and are no longer available.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Tried Sealskinz but got fed up of them failing after a year at most. Then tried dexshells. A pair of knee lengths failed on the third use. The lightweight bamboo ones have been better as they are much stretchier. Back to sealskinz again as I was bought them by someone but I'm thinking of the poly bag or ex army goretex route the next time. Both dexshell and sealskinz told me washing was fine but no direct heat dry.....
Boab

Post by Boab »

It took my shoes two days to dry out after Sunday's ride, and they got even more of a soaking this morning. So I'm now in the market for some waterproof socks and veloToez waterproof cuffs. I see that Decathlon sell both Sealskinz Super Thin Mid Waterproof Socks and DexShell Ultra-Thin Waterproof Socks, both brands seem to have issues based on the comments above. Looks like the Sealskinz are slightly longer in length though...? I might try those first...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

My Sealskinz are 3 or 4 years old now and I think they might be starting to be slightly less effective than they were when they were new, but they're still worth wearing for me. I will probably replace them like for like once I feel I've got about as much life out of them as possible. They're one of my favourite pieces of kit - a game changer for multi-day rides.

I've been very careful to look after them. They rarely get washed, often just in water to get the worst of the mud out, and I'm careful not to wring them or squeeze water through the membrane. Occasionally use pure soap when absolutely necessary. They've got one or two holes due to pedal pin contact - sewing them and covering with seam sealer seems to have sorted them out.

I would definitely go for the longest ones you can find.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I'm a long term Sealskinz user but recently tried Dexshells after reading good things about them on here. So far I'm not very impressed, I'm pretty sure that the first pair I got are leaking after two uses. I still have another brand new unused pair but they probably won't see any action until the autumn. My Sealskinz all leak as well but they're much older. I find they're still better than nothing in winter and colder weather, although they leak in extremely wet conditions, the water doesn't flood in and usually warms up working like a wetsuit. In summer I've just gone back to wearing merino hiking socks and accepting wet feet on the basis that they do sometimes start to dry out a bit while I'm riding (unlike waterproof socks which stay wet for ages).
RIP

Post by RIP »

Jurassic wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:43 pm the water doesn't flood in and usually warms up working like a wetsuit.
I reckon this is the key. After 40 years I've given up with waterproof anything. So long as I'm warm and I've cut the wind out I'm happy. Admittedly I've got trench foot now but there we go :wink: . No matter how much I keep rain out I soon get hit by sweat from the inside no matter how much I try to regulate my riding effort. This winter I'll be rolling with quick-dry sandals or crocs with several layers of not-really-waterproof socks again.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Knee-high Dexshells for me. Had the same pair about 3 years and they're still solid.

Comments above about washing machines etc. are on the money for anything with a membrane - don't do it. A soak and rinse in warm water every couple of months and drip dry or put them on a radiator with a towel underneath.

I've got some ankle-length Sealskinz from 2015 that are still waterproof too. :-bd
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Not heard of these before, not sure if they're any good but they're another option ...

https://www.360dry.co.uk/
ton

Post by ton »

knee length merino sealskins work. and mated with walking gaiters they are super warm too.