New Bike Day (with Geoff bars content...)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

L2R24

New Bike Day (with Geoff bars content...)

Post by L2R24 »

Titus Silk Road arrived today. Swapped seatpost and the rigid Impac tyres for Bonty XR3 front and xr2 on the back. Weirdly the 2.4 front comes up smaller than tbe 2.35 rear, same rims so go figure...vast amount of clearance at the the front so could have gone 2.8 after all... :-bd

First thought are rides pretty light, but very different fit to my Arkose. Currently fighting the feeling it's a little too short, so may change the stock 60mm stem for 70 or 80mm. Full GX 2 Eagle groupset but cassette is 11-50, not the new 10-52...

Will attempt to set up tubeless tomorrow :wink:
ton

Re: New Bike Day (with Geoff bars content...)

Post by ton »

bloody lovely that mate. enjoy it.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Really smart! I keep looking at the fireline or the el viajero but waiting on the planet X pricing roulette :roll:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Nice. That looks like a real crossing-countries bike.
Currently fighting the feeling it's a little too short
- stick with it a while maybe? Just for the sake of experimentation in a new bike. I've found a short bike can get better the longer I ride it vs a long bike getting less comfy after a while. Also that what feels wrong to start with can be a sign of 'different enough to be great once I've adjusted to it'. Could be that's a load of tosh and it is just a bit short, but what works well and what feels right based on muscle memory aren't always the same ime.
Those bars give you a lot of range to move grips fore-aft also, you might get the longer position you need for cruising and keep a comfy upright position that can be really good for agile handling (ha.. getting dangerously close to saying 'chuckable' fit but not really what I mean).
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

jameso wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:54 am Nice. That looks like a real crossing-countries bike.
Currently fighting the feeling it's a little too short
- stick with it a while maybe? Just for the sake of experimentation in a new bike. I've found a short bike can get better the longer I ride it vs a long bike getting less comfy after a while. Also that what feels wrong to start with can be a sign of 'different enough to be great once I've adjusted to it'. Could be that's a load of tosh and it is just a bit short, but what works well and what feels right based on muscle memory aren't always the same ime.
Yep, I hear you. Need a good few rides on it first. Last night was only up an down the hill bedding in the brakes and checking the gears. We're only talking a smidge too, so a lay back seatpost or slightly longer stem would likely sort it if needed. Obviously, biggest change is the Geoff bar with it's 45 degree sweep. It's a very different bike to what I normally ride too...knew riding position would be more upright so might just take a little getting used to (or different bars!)

Hopefully I'll be able to dial the fit before too long.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I think the 45 degree sweep bars can feel better on a shorter bike, but it's all subjective. Just how some things work together well but one component or aspect on another bike doesn't feel so good.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Looks cracking!
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

waiting on the planet X pricing roulette
The rollercoaster pricing policy seems to have reduced since the stepping back of Dave Loughran, they don't seem to have the same end of quarter dash for turnover these days.
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

pistonbroke wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:12 am
waiting on the planet X pricing roulette
The rollercoaster pricing policy seems to have reduced since the stepping back of Dave Loughran, they don't seem to have the same end of quarter dash for turnover these days.
It still happens to a degree. I ordered mine during the 3rd time they discounted it (or, more accurately, PX reduced this specific bike once soon after initial release, and then did two separate "10% off everything" offers). Tempest Rival now £200 off, so patience probably still pays off. I'm not sure the Silk Road will be a big unit shifter for them, so they might come down in price fairly soon. But I clearly couldn't be that patient, especially after being told the Bombtrack Beyond ADV s had all sold out till next year...
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

10% would seem reasonable, just can’t face paying full price for anything there. A victim of their own shenanigans!
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

First ride out last night and really impressed, found the bars comfortable, as was the riding position for the most part, though still occasionally found myself wanting to naturally move back a few cm on saddle, but it's already back to max rearward position marking on the rails.

...love the monster truck feel after my gravel bikes, really stable and seemed to fly over the stuff I rode last night. Tyres seemed good too, not too draggy on road sections, but great offroad (really appreciate the recommendations on the other thread).

Combination of the new tyres run tubeless, plus a Thomson seatpost has dropped some weight from the bike. Should've ridden it stock first though, as would have looked for a layback Thomson instead of the inline one I picked up last week :oops:

Miffed as had to cut ride short - got out late and rear light ran out of charge and had a few road sections on the route - otherwise I was well up for making it a night ride.

All in all, pretty pleased though a few compromises already found in luggage carrying; relatively small frame bags won't fit nicely with even a small bottle on the downtube (with a Topeak bottle boss extender fitted). May have to consider Wolftooth 3 bar extender to get the bottle cage further down. Then again, maybe a full frame bag beckons....