Geoff Bars vs Jones H

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Shewie

Geoff Bars vs Jones H

Post by Shewie »

I've recently got some Geoffs to try out, I'm thinking of getting the Tomcat bag from Wildcat and wondered if the hole in the middle is roughly the same dimensions?

I'm guessing some folk have had both and will have compared.

Got some XXL grips and some tape coming in the post too
The Cumbrian

Re: Geoff Bars vs Jones H

Post by The Cumbrian »

How you doing Rich?

I can't comment on the Geoff bars, but I've got Jones bars on my bikes and I've tried a couple of bar bags. I've got the Jones bag, and that's brilliant. It's got a good capacity, it's easy access and can be easily opened and closed whilst on the bike. The downside is that it can interfere with handlebar rolls.
I've tried the Wildcat bag and didn't really get in with it. This is partly because I've got the Jones riser bars, slightly angled down, and items in the bag could have fallen out when it was open. It's smaller than the Jones bag, but would probably interfere less with a roll.
On my last trip (around Llangollen, have a look at the pics on my trip report) I tried something new and cheap, and I was really pleased with it. It's a Karrimor wash bag held on to the bars by four velcro straps. It's big enough to hold my sunnies, snacks, compass and Inreach, can easily be accessed while on the bike and doesn't interfere with the bar roll. It would probably work just as well on the Geoff bars.

Cheers, Michael.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve got some of the Alpkit Fu Manchu bars, which are, I think, from the same catalogue as the Geoffs. I use the Wildcat bag with them and it fits fine. Not huge capacity but it will sit happily above my bar harness and bag.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I use a Wildcat bag, as mentioned they're not big, works ok with the rest of my bar stuff which is all Revelate.

Wifey uses a Surly Moloko bag on her Jones bars. Much bigger capacity than the Wildcat and has elastic on top for securing small items. A nice bag, it also fits well with her Revelate setup.
ripio

Post by ripio »

I have the Alpkit Drop Bear bag which I got for my Confucius bars but have now put Geoff bars on and the bag still fits fine, in fact there is a bit more space now.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Thanks for the replies folks, I think I’ll take a punt on one

Thinking I’ll use it for phone, powerbank and shades, maybe some bars too if they’ll fit.
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

ripio wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:50 pm I have the Alpkit Drop Bear bag which I got for my Confucius bars but have now put Geoff bars on and the bag still fits fine, in fact there is a bit more space now.
Bump as I'm interested in the same thing. I'm guessing the DropBear means you can't really run lights or computer on the main bar, given the bag looks to mount quite high? Is there room to have lights on the "accessory bar" out front, or do you hang lights elsewhere?

Cheers
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I’ve always fancied one of these.

https://rockgeist.com/product/jones-bag/

I have a lot of Rockgeist bags and rate them highly.
With how I run my GPS and lights this type of bag wouldn’t suit me but I find them intriguing nonetheless.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Geoff bars fitted, not happy about the amount of cable crush with the Guide R brakes and a harness compared to the Confucius bars :sad:

Longer hoses will fix it but I'll do a few rides without a bar bag and see if I like Geoffs angles first
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I'll be interested to hear what you think Rich. I went the other way (from Geoffs to Confucius) after trying yours. I found the Geoffs very comfy on my wrists for just cruising along on easy trails and forest tracks but I prefer the familiar feeling of the Confucius bars on more challenging terrain (similar to normal risers like I have on my other mountain bikes). I love having the loop section on both though, I'm waiting for some Redshift Kitchen Sink loop bars to come for my gravel bike as well.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Shewie wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:27 pm Geoff bars fitted, not happy about the amount of cable crush with the Guide R brakes and a harness compared to the Confucius bars :sad:

Longer hoses will fix it but I'll do a few rides without a bar bag and see if I like Geoffs angles first
When I built up my current bike I had the front harness and a packed bag fitted then cabled round them.
Then lockdown happened and I switched to a carbon non swept bar so spent last summer trying not to get the huge loops of cable caught on bushes.
Loops are refitted now with the cables zip tied neatly to same profile as the loop.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Jurassic wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:21 am . I love having the loop section on both though, I'm waiting for some Redshift Kitchen Sink loop bars to come for my gravel bike as well.
I’ve a set of those on my Fargo. 50cm with the fancy grips as well. Very happy with them.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 2:20 pm
Jurassic wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:21 am . I love having the loop section on both though, I'm waiting for some Redshift Kitchen Sink loop bars to come for my gravel bike as well.
I’ve a set of those on my Fargo. 50cm with the fancy grips as well. Very happy with them.
I'm going with the 47cm width. My current bars are narrower than that so I think they should suit me. I ran super wide, flared bars in the past and liked them but I want some kind of middle ground with the kitchen sink bars (although 47 is still pretty wide).