PHD new 'Wafer' range....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Anthony

PHD new 'Wafer' range....

Post by Anthony »

Very exciting email from PHD with a link to their new ultralight 'Wafer' vest using a new 10denier fabric.

Lighter than the old Ultra, check.
Smaller down compartments, yup prefer that style.
Blue, hmm prefer black but I'll let that go,
Full Length Zip?????

Is it me are are they missing a trick, a full length zip on a 130g down vest? I'm sure its probably to do with getting the fit better for superior insulation, but I suspect it would have been nudging nearer 100g if they had gone for a short thin zip making it an alternative to the existing Ultra worthy of consideration.

I may ring see if they can do a short zip version. I know its only a few grams but we're taking ultralight here :roll:
u02sgb

Re: PHD new 'Wafer' range....

Post by u02sgb »

Had a quick look but didn't find anything on what temp it's aimed at. I'm wondering if they're going for the slimmer Rab style, not as warm but aimed more as a mid layer. Roughly the same price as the ultra pullover too. Be interested how durable the fabric is.
Eoghan

Post by Eoghan »

Exciting but I'm confused who they're aiming at. Agree with you that the zip is odd and surely only a matter of time before a half-zipped pullover emerges. This is C&P'd from what I wrote on Outdoorsmagic:

As incredible as the specs sound, the problem for me is that it's not entirely clear what the purpose of it is. They're suggesting using it as a midlayer, for camp use, or whilst in bed; but they haven't specified a temperature range, which suggests to me that it's not for use "alone".

However, they do seem to suggest that it's a 3-season range. But how are they expecting you pack? To replace a fleece/midlayer? In addition? Just to wear around camp/chilly lunch stops in spring and autumn? That seems like fairly limited use for such high-end kit. I could see them potentially replacing a midlayer for 1-season use (ie summer night camps where you're sure it's not going to be cold enough during the day to require a midlayer).

I can, however, imagine them being useful for a trip where you're going all-out ultralight camping, ie bivvy + quilt, or where you're pushing a sleeping bag to its limit to save weight but might need some extra warmth. To that extent it's the socks that excite me the most - at 45g they stop being a luxury that doesn't justify the extra weight, but a luxury that's highly desirable in most seasons (cost being the only barrier).

That said...kudos for pushing the boundaries. Silly weight - unbelievable.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

For me the vest fits the following criteria for bivvy/camping duty-

2 season use
Emergency daytime warmth
Evening wear once camped up
Nightime use to boost their Ultra sleeping bag, or if warm enough (nearly always) used in conjunction with an Exped SL pillow to aid comfort.

For 3 season+ I'd be taking a Montane 350g down jacket for similar reasons.

I do hope it comes as a pullover sometime soon, email sent to PHD...
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Just had an email back from PHD, valuing the feedback but they have no intention of doing a half zip version or dropping the pointless pocket zips.

It's a missed trick imho.