New Ortlieb bar pack

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

New Ortlieb bar pack

Post by redefined_cycles »

Looks really interesting and good and being good old Ortlieb they seem to have rectified problems other bags might have had. Mount is totally unique but not auggeated for carbon bars...

Review by OFFrdCC here https://off.road.cc/content/review/bags ... eview-8043
Bearlegged

Re: New Ortlieb bar pack

Post by Bearlegged »

I've got one. First impressions including a couple of local bivvies is that it works very nicely.
redefined_cycles

Thanks. I bet it would work well in road bars as they described... plus if you cover up the carbon bars it probably would manage around carbon aswell ?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Not compatible with carbon bars (or at least, they don’t recommend it)

First picture from the review and it’s on what look like carbon bars
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Quite literally looks like a lash-up. I wonder why it's a unique fitting system? :wink:

May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

:shock:

Wow. That's an "interesting" concept.
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:08 pm Quite literally looks like a lash-up. I wonder why it's a unique fitting system? :wink:

Just not seen it done like that before. Is there loads more?

newbies hey :smile:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is there loads more?
I very much doubt there is or ever will be ... this side of a tug boat.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Saw that on Bikepacking.com. They seem to be using string for the mount in preference to the old plastic coated brake cable in the bar bag mounts. The Rixen paul mount uses plastic U clips and is far sturdier. Dunno if will work with this though...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just out having a walk in the rain and was pondering this as I pottered along ... can anyone tell me or suggest what 'problem' this pack is aiming to address?
Boab

Post by Boab »

That most #GravelWanker barrel bags are small, floppy and buzz off the front tyre every time you go over a bump? Plus are held on with Velcro, which leads to cable rub, etc.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

There definitely seems to be a demand for bags that attach via a bracket rather than via straps. It seems a reasonable update to the original ortlieb bar bag with it being bigger and having a roll top so I'm sure they will sell plenty. ITs all about choice innit?
atk

Post by atk »

K1100T wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:03 pm small, floppy and buzz off the front tyre every time you go over a bump?
So they made a massive bag with a floppy bottom to buzz off the tyre?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, the review isn't exactly glowing in that regard and the solution seems to be to reduce the capacity (and usefulness of the bag).

However, I'm coming from a position that my Revelate Harness works fine and can't see the point of all these cradle-type fixings (Dr Jon, Salsa etc) either, so probably not the best to judge.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That most #GravelWanker barrel bags are small, floppy and buzz off the front tyre every time you go over a bump? Plus are held on with Velcro, which leads to cable rub, etc.
This looks more like actual 'luggage' than an overpriced pencil case though?
There definitely seems to be a demand for bags that attach via a bracket rather than via straps. It seems a reasonable update to the original ortlieb bar bag with it being bigger and having a roll top so I'm sure they will sell plenty. ITs all about choice innit?
I can see that a rigid bracket holds some appeal but that seems lost when the bracket's held on with string*.

*although it is posh string.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

It’s funny how there are long threads about how it’s wrong to copy other people’s ideas.
Then someone comes up with a different idea of how to do something and they get fingers poked at them as well.

I suppose the problem it is trying to address is the one that all bike luggage is… the how to carry things on your bike problem :roll:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Gari

Post by Gari »

They’ve basically replaced their old cable fitting, which got mangled the first time you used it, and worse each subsequent use. But as it was for a release bracket for the bag was only an issue if you swapped it to another bike. But oddly made the bracket on the bag permanent and the “lash up” as Stu accurately describes it as the quick release?!
I can only guess that it’s quite unwieldy to use as a shoulder bag off the bike. Why they didn’t carry the quick release bracket over to this bag is a bit of a mystery to me, given it’s always worked well🤷‍♂️
And as htrider mentions, the Rixen Kaul is a better solution for the attachment. It’s a no from me😁
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Then someone comes up with a different idea of how to do something and they get fingers poked at them as well.
Not at all but I think my question - what current problem is this design trying to address, still stands. Is it meant to be more stable? Lighter? Stronger? Easier to remove? Something else? Apologies for sounding critical but I'm not in the habit of giving credit just because something's unique. It still needs to be a good idea, not simply a new one.
Boab

Post by Boab »

So I've had issues in the past with the dry bag in the handlebar harness being too wide, so you can't change gear etc. So making it more cube like, means it's well away from any levers. Plus, maybe some people just like having a pannier like bag, rather than a glorified stuff sack.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

K1100T wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:49 pm So I've had issues in the past with the dry bag in the handlebar harness being too wide, so you can't change gear etc. So making it more cube like, means it's well away from any levers. Plus, maybe some people just like having a pannier like bag, rather than a glorified stuff sack.
FWIW I use a 13L Alpkit bag in my Revelate Harness when using it on the Amazon. It's shorter than the Revelate bag, thereby fixing the lever clearance problem. The Alpkit bag isn't circular in profile either and by mounting it so that it's longer front-to-rear than top-to-bottom, I don't lose much capacity and I still retain tyre clearance.
redefined_cycles

Just out having a walk in the rain and was pondering this as I pottered along ... can anyone tell me or suggest what 'problem' this pack is aiming to address?
For me (and the reason I found it exciting so posted it on here) was the fact that it could sit away from the bars on my road bike but also not lose any hand position space. I'm talking about on the road bike here btw. It'll also sit neatly between the gap which for me is about 40cm.

In addition the bar I have (for comfort and not for aero gains cos I go too slow) is an aero one without much gap on the sides for brackets to go next to the stem. Also, I definitely don't think they've done a 'PX' or an Alpkit on anyone elses idea...

I might buy one or at least check one out in closer inspection in years to come.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I like the string solution... It's minimal and light if all you need there is something in tension to hold the bracket up and prevents it rotating. Does it move or bounce upward if unweighted when you send it*?

It might be a good thing for the road tours I like to do. Generally I'd rather strap the load in hard against and a bit under the bars. Moving 1-2kg out in front for hand space means worse handling (ok the impact is subjective) all the time for added grip space some of the time. I just rest my hands on top for climbing if the bag straps are in that area.
*front wheel leaves the ground by about a foot
overpriced pencil case
:grin:
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

At the risk of outing him, Landslide has one. I'm thinking of either the new ortlieb or the new restrap bag for the gravel bike. The restrap bag is quite a bit cheaper, albeit not cheap.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I think people don't like running a strap round a head tube for the lower support of a bar roll with its potential for paint rub or damage to carbon forks as per Allan's thread the other week. I've always used some form of bracket so you can strap a roll or harness onto something that moves with the bars and gives a stable lower mount. As it happens my bar roll is on its last legs so I'm looking for a replacement. But not convinced about one of these and a new rev sweetroll is the same price.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

I do see the appeal of a larger bag, especially vs the drybag which I think is not meant for frequent opening and closing while riding more a carry gear til you get to your camp spot. I’ve had a couple of burrito style bags but they were is small capacity and worse the zip opening was restrictive for my stuff getting it in or out. I’ve considered other bags on the market such as

Oveja Negra 925 Handlebar Bag
Outer Shell Adventure Drawcord Handlebar Bag
Road Runner California Burrrito Handlebar Bag

These all have less capacity all around £90-95 plus shipping so I don’t think the ortlieb bag is far off the mark being waterproof, larger capacity and with a roll top opening for good access to gear. Will I buy the ortlieb handlebar bag? Perhaps.