Simplifying the garage. What shall I keep?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

slarge

Re: Simplifying the garage. What shall I keep?

Post by slarge »

So the real answer to this type of problem is more time and more space.

I am a big advocate of a bigger garage / shed and not working. Have done the 1st one, now planning the 2nd. I hope to be liberated and let my biggest stress be the choosing of which bike to use.

I guess this isn't that helpful - sorry!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

To offer a contrary view.....
Bikes don't take up much space, particularly if you dismantle them. I've three in the loft in bits and I've no intention of selling them. At some point I may use them again and if I don't they aren't doing any harm (And will be valuable, rare classics when I'm in my '70's!) So think before you sell - you might decide you want one again in the future.

That said, I'm in the process of selling a road bike which I know I will never use again and its nice to pass something on to someone who is going to use and cherish it. I've another road bike I'm thinking of letting go but I'm more likely to store this as I will probably come back to it at some point.

A mate had 40 motorbikes at one point, he's now down to 20. These take a lot more room up than bicycles.....
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

atk wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:42 am
GregMay wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:25 pm This.

I've plans to do this again over the summer. It is difficult at first, but always feel better afterwards!
Dibs the El Mariachi! 😉
Yeah... not selling that bike ever.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

GregMay wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:17 pm
atk wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:42 am
GregMay wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:25 pm This.

I've plans to do this again over the summer. It is difficult at first, but always feel better afterwards!
Dibs the El Mariachi! 😉
Yeah... not selling that bike ever.
I sold my blue one with rohloff years ago so I could upgrade my motorbike I still regret it now 😪
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I'd probably sell my Cutty that I did the TDR on before the El Mar.
FLV

Post by FLV »

atk wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:06 pm It's also worth weighing up the pros/cons of selling some items - a lot of expensive stuff is either worth piss all these days, or isn't worth the hassle selling. It's helped having the charity bike shop round the corner. I know I'm a fortunate position to say this and others may not be, but I've just written off any used tyres and dropped them off there to go on donated bikes, or for people to pick through at their leisure. I might have "lost" out on a couple of hundred quid but I've not had to deal with questions about wear, tread, tubeless compatibility, "will it fit my bike" and the like. They've made a few quid for their cause and I have a whole bunch of free space.
Interesting, do they take anything?

As in, can I just take a big box of parts to them and let them sift through what they want?

I have cranks, seatposts, mechs (some incomplete), old cassettes and chains, the odd brake lever and caliper without hoses etc etc. a wheel, tyres.... I could go on :-)

ta
atk

Post by atk »

FLV wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:57 amInteresting, do they take anything?

As in, can I just take a big box of parts to them and let them sift through what they want?

I have cranks, seatposts, mechs (some incomplete), old cassettes and chains, the odd brake lever and caliper without hoses etc etc. a wheel, tyres.... I could go on :-)

ta
Yep. They'll straight up take bikes, components, clothing, cycling books etc. Pretty much anything other than old cycle magazines.

They'll sort through it and either sell the bits, use them to fix up donated bikes to sell on, use them for budget repairs or to rebuild other incomplete bits and bobs. Anything that's completely trashed goes to appropriate recycling.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Brilliant. I have lots of goodies for them :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Meanwood valley urban farm in Leeds used to welcome bike bits too. They took yoof and taught them how to build bikes. Each yoof did two, one for themselves and one for a scheme in Africa.

Pretty cool 😎