Best 29er bikepacking tyres?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

L2R24

Best 29er bikepacking tyres?

Post by L2R24 »

First Post from a new forum member, eager to receive the advice of others here (...so go gentle!)

Have ridden cx and gravel bikes for a while now, but have a new rigid 29'er incoming mid-July (fingers crossed). Frame clearance looks to be enough for 2.4 or 2.5" tyres, and think bike ships with rigid Impac SmartPacs on 30mm rims. I'd want to swap out to decent tubeless tyres asap. Although fairly well genned on 700mm and 650b options, I've managed to massively confuse myself with the options for a 29er.

I'm not a mountain biker, but will be taking the bike on more offroad routes, though low rolling resistance for road sections would be good. Ridgeway is local and so KAW on the cards.

What should I be looking at?! Especially options actually in stock...

Pirelli Scorpion mixed terrain? I've got Cintuarto 650b x 50mm on another bike which have been great, but not sure this necessarily means the Scorpions are worth a go.

Cheers...
Last edited by L2R24 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Re: Best 29er bikepacking tyres?

Post by whitestone »

I'm a fan of the Bontrager XR series. Basically the bigger the number after "XR" the more aggressive the tread. XR0 is basically a slick tyre and not really much use here in the UK.

Something like the XR3 up front with an XR2 would be my choice. Generally go for a slightly wider tyre on the front than the rear. At the moment I've a Vittoria Mezcal 2.6" on the front and an XR2 on the rear - I did the KAW with that setup the other week and it was fine, the Mezcal is very fast rolling. My front rim is 35mm internal so you might be OK with the Mezcal on 30mm.

Oh, and welcome :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't think you'll receive any type of universal answer to this question, although Maxxis and WTB will likely feature quite highly.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I run a Vittoria Barzo on the front and a Mezcal on the rear. In the summer you could easily get away with Mezcal both ends.

I used to use Maxxis but the Vittorias are about £10 to £15 cheaper (each) and IMO a better tyre.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

Thanks all. I'd looked at Mescals and XRs on t'interweb last night, so helpful to hear they could be solid options. Interesting running wider front to the rear, think the forks have a tonne of clearance so probably a good option.

I think my main confusion is the various options within the same tyre group, re: casings etc. Seem to be way more choices than the equivalent gravel tyres. I'm a born procrastinator so too many options ain't a good thing for me, though in this case some recommendations from real life experience is where its at I think...

Best places to buy from? Got some bags from Bikester the other day, and delivery charges weren't too bad. Hopefully can get a pair of decent tyres for below the £135 VAT / import limit if needed.
Last edited by L2R24 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

These are exactly what I have

Front Vittoria Barzo 29x2.25 £36

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-barzo ... b-tyre-tnt

Rear Vittoria Mezcal 29.25 £45

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-mezca ... b-tyre-tnt

Plenty of change from the budget. The black sidewalls are tougher than the tan versions. I'm on the Isle of Wight so similar terrain to you.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
faustus

Post by faustus »

I'm also near the ridgeway, and also running Mezcal 2.6 on the front on 30mm rims. They're really good, and great value, though I got mine for 17.99! Should be reasonable options if you shop around. Also another shout for bontrager XRs, the XR2 is pretty fast and the XR3 is good for rougher/wetter conditions.

Agree with Sean's comments on vittoria, they are consistently better value for money. What ridig 29er are you getting?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bontrager XR 2 for me :-bd

If it’s sloppy, maybe go to XR 3 or even a XR 4 (the 3 has been redesigned and is slightly less agreessive then I seem to remember)
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

Really helpful recommendations, thank you.

@faustus - having missed out on a few bikes recently (including putting a hefty deposit on a Bombtrack Beyond Adv 29+ after various conversions with the bike shop, only to get an email an hour later saying all incoming stock had been sold) I've gone for a Titus Silk Road. Nervous in that I know PX are regarded as being either very good, or pretty poor, but it seemed to be the closest thing to the kind of spec I was after, and allegedly in stock..

:-SS
ton

Post by ton »

Don't go down the Gravelbollox fashionista route, like I did. And choose some gravel specific Teravail sparwood tyres.
The rear is very very worn after 2000 miles don't see em reaching 3000.
Stick with a good mtb specific tyre.
faustus

Post by faustus »

L2R24 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:11 pm Really helpful recommendations, thank you.

@faustus - having missed out on a few bikes recently (including putting a hefty deposit on a Bombtrack Beyond Adv 29+ after various conversions with the bike shop, only to get an email an hour later saying all incoming stock had been sold) I've gone for a Titus Silk Road. Nervous in that I know PX are regarded as being either very good, or pretty poor, but it seemed to be the closest thing to the kind of spec I was after, and allegedly in stock..

:-SS
I know planet X can be a bit of a lottery, but the bike looks really good. Oh, and WTB Rangers worth a shout for general duty but not too gnarly, in lots of widths and usually good availability
ton

Post by ton »

The silk road is a very nice looking bike. Enjoy it.
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

ton wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:40 pm The silk road is a very nice looking bike. Enjoy it.
Thanks, but it's got to get here first (pessimistic, moi?). Also putting Geoff bars on it, to try and get close to the Beyond Adv feel.

I think I'd ruled out 2.25 in tyres as wanted bigger (given I was originally going for 29+), but think 2.6 front and 2.25/2.35 rear would be fine for what I'll be doing.

Hoping the 29er might deal with Ridgway ruts a bit better than the 650bs on the ArkoseX, though they've been fine for everything else so far. Just wanted more carrying cargo capcity too, which the Titus seems to have...
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

L2R24 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:50 pm Hoping the 29er might deal with Ridgway ruts a bit better than the 650bs on the ArkoseX, though they've been fine for everything else so far. Just wanted more carrying cargo capcity too, which the Titus seems to have...
There's a world of difference between 47mm 650b tyres and 2.25" 29er tyres.

-------------

I've happily ridden Maxxis Ikons (EXO 3C version) for years; 2.2" is fine for general purpose non-tech offroading, although I go double Ardent (2.4F / 2.25R) if I want to do something burlier.

I'm maybe an oldie, resistant to change nowadays, but I don't see why we all need 2.6" tyres for forestry tracks and gravelly double track? Don't they weigh a ton?
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Dyffers wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:00 pm

I've happily ridden Maxxis Ikons (EXO 3C version) for years; 2.2" is fine for general purpose non-tech offroading, although I go double Ardent (2.4F / 2.25R) if I want to do something burlier.

I'm maybe an oldie, resistant to change nowadays, but I don't see why we all need 2.6" tyres for forestry tracks and gravelly double track? Don't they weigh a ton?
I'm still running the stock 2.25" Ardents that came on my MTB after 20 months, and they've hardly worn. I don't ride much tarmac on them though, and they're great in anything but heavy mud. They seem much chunkier than the width would suggest (I thought they were 2.4" before I actually had a look and checked). I've used them for everything, including rocky fellsides, trail centres, bare grassy hills, forest roads and woodland tracks. They're looking so good I think they might be immortal.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

I'm also a fan of the XR series. They're great tyres for a reasonable price and a refreshingly simple range.

I go with 2.4" front and back and swap between an XR2/XR3 and XR3/XR4 combo depending on the season and what I'm doing.

Just went round the Highland Trail with the XR3/XR4 combo and they were faultless.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I got a pair of WTB Ranger 2.6s really cheap. I asked on here and most opinions were generally positive about Rangers although nobody had ridden the 2.6 version. Anyway they've exceeded my expectations so far and despite their relatively small knobbles have gripped surprisingly well in a variety of conditions (some of which they're definitely not designed for).
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

myself and my friend both use Specialized Fast Trak Control 2Bliss Ready Tyres 2.3

seems a good allround balance.

she hasn't complained about the tyres :lol:
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

Nice to see lots of love for Bonty tyres. I've always really rated them and race xc on xr2 or 3's.
Currently have Vittoria Terranos on my bikepacking 29er. Obviously very fast and quiet on the road and coped ok when caught out on horrible chalk mud for a day of a recent trip (NDW)
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

Thanks for the advice. Ordered an XR3 2.4 for the front and a XR2 2.35 for the back. £35.99 each from All Terrain Cycles, so not as bargainous as some of your previous finds, but looked to be stock unlike the larger Mezcals...

Looks like these Bontragers might also be slightly undersized (according to some reviews) so we'll see. Bike isnt due til mid July, so will get a better feel for clearances when it arrives but felt better to go a touch less wide just in case rather have a tyre skimming the frame... Now for some tubeless tape and valves
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

My favourite thing about Bontrager tyres is I've never had a problem setting them up tubeless. They hold air even without sealant.
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

Planet x emailed today to say that they've brought forward my build date to early next week, so will hopefully find out how easy the XRs are to mount tubeless fairly soon :-bd
Hope the tyres arrive in time, & still need to order tubeless tape. ESI XXL grips for the Geoff bars arrived today too. Kid at Xmas!
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

All Terrain Cycles is one of my LBS, I used to work about 200m from them. One time when I was in there getting some tyres they commented that if the Bonty's had "Maxxis" written on them they'd sell out in minutes.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

whitestone wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:26 pm All Terrain Cycles is one of my LBS, I used to work about 200m from them. One time when I was in there getting some tyres they commented that if the Bonty's had "Maxxis" written on them they'd sell out in minutes.
Email from ATC saying tyres on their way. Relieved as they were showing as only having 1 in stock (can't remember if that was the XR2 or XR3). Parcel tracking link took me to a Euro haulage firm though, they wont get a 6 wheeler down my road....am sure they use transits too!
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

Fitted the 2.35 XR2 back, 2.4 XR3 front. Rear tyre comes out wider than the front, though both on same rims. With the "cathedral arch" fork there is a LOT of clearance so may get something wider, given the consensus seems to be go wider at the front if possible...
All Terrain Cycles have XR2 Team in 2.6 so may go for that or a Mezcal 2.6 if I can find one at a decent price.