Best 29er bikepacking tyres?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

johnnystorm

Re: Best 29er bikepacking tyres?

Post by johnnystorm »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:06 pm I don't think you'll receive any type of universal answer to this question, although Maxxis and WTB will likely feature quite highly.
What Stu says, FWIW I don't think I've had any "bad" tyres since some Nobby Nics around 2014ish that turned into sieves.

It's always a compromise between grip, rolling resistance and the fitting ease on your rims. Recently I've used On-One/Maxxis, Vittoria, WTB, Pirelli and Teravail and all have done the job admirably.
nagasaki45

Post by nagasaki45 »

Going to hijack this thread with similar question, instead of opening a new one. Hope that's OK...

I'm looking for a new rear tyre* for my sonder frontier. Had the stock WTB Rangers at 2.4, and the rear is dead after ~1000km. Just came back from the South Downs Way yesterday, and on the train home I've noticed that the thread that (I assume) holds the tyre together is completely exposed between the knobs in multiple spots :shock:
Anyway, think the 2.4 Rangers are too much of a tyre for me. Looking for something less aggressive, possibly narrower, and hopefully lighter. Ideal terrain is the South/North Downs, King Alfred's Way and the likes. Living in London, there's also quite a bit of tarmac riding, both on the way to train stations when getting out of town or around the city heading to some off-road bits.
Think the Mezcals at 2.35 or even 2.25 will be a good fit. Is the XR2 similar in terms of "aggressiveness" and rolling resistance or should I look at the XR1? Other alternatives for softies like myself?

* Not going to swap the front for now. Will do so when it dies.
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

I've been pleased with the XR2 rear /XR3 front combo on my bike so far since fitting them in July. Not big miles, but cush aplenty and decent grip/rolling resistance. Really easy to set up tubeless too...

Still looking at going bigger at the front given my 2.4 XR3 seems so undersized compared with 2.35 XR2. Real world measurements suggest closer to 2.25 for the XR3 but close to 2.5 for the XR2. Same 30mm rims front and back. Weird!

I might still swap them around but figured the grippier tyre at the front was probably best?
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

May I add my 10p....

I love my Teravail Corondo 29 x 2.8s. Think they're about 1000k old now.

... Oh, in tan Wall too :)
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

I've had good results with Vittoria tyres, generally their XC ones or the Terrenos (almost slick).

Banana Industries and On One often have them at sale prices
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

L2R24 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:41 pm I've been pleased with the XR2 rear /XR3 front combo on my bike so far since fitting them in July. Not big miles, but cush aplenty and decent grip/rolling resistance. Really easy to set up tubeless too...

Still looking at going bigger at the front given my 2.4 XR3 seems so undersized compared with 2.35 XR2. Real world measurements suggest closer to 2.25 for the XR3 but close to 2.5 for the XR2. Same 30mm rims front and back. Weird!

I might still swap them around but figured the grippier tyre at the front was probably best?
Is the 2.35 one of the older XR models? I have an old 2.35 and it does come up pretty wide compared with the new 2.4s. I don't think Bontrager offer the 2.35 in their latest line up.
L2R24

Post by L2R24 »

ChrisS wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:12 am
L2R24 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 6:41 pm I've been pleased with the XR2 rear /XR3 front combo on my bike so far since fitting them in July. Not big miles, but cush aplenty and decent grip/rolling resistance. Really easy to set up tubeless too...

Is the 2.35 one of the older XR models? I have an old 2.35 and it does come up pretty wide compared with the new 2.4s. I don't think Bontrager offer the 2.35 in their latest line up.
Could be, although the graphics on the sidewall (and the packaging) looked the same to me, so figured same "model year". I noted afterwards that Bontrager do a no nonsense 30 or 60 day return, so could've sent back for a swap. Lot of hassle though and TBF, the 2.4 tyre has been good to ride on...
substandard

Post by substandard »

Terrenos when it’s dry - used them for last years dales divide.

Mezcals both ends is a good fast rolling setup, run the 2.6 a lot

Also have some 3.0 xr2 which is what I’m using as the moment