Non-boost cranks on a boost L SantaCruz Highball

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Non-boost cranks on a boost L SantaCruz Highball

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just managed to get a deal on some xtr cranks for cheap as they need an unusual bcd chairing. It's available in 34t flavour.

Problem is, does anyone know for certain if non boost would fit the boost axled Highball. Asking cos I can then get rid my SLX chainstay which is a boost standard. Thanks in advance (and I'd rather not try to create an optimal chainline by using non-standard BB spacer setup).

:smile:
slarge

Re: Non-boost cranks on a boost L SantaCruz Highball

Post by slarge »

Boost and non boost cranks are the same, the difference is the chainring on boost has a 3mm offset, so you could get a boost chainring, or just run it and see what the chain line looks like.
I often wonder if 3mm at the crank makes any difference at all when the cassette is 400mm away and has a 60mm width….
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

You'll probably get away with the chainline bit, I suspect the greater concern will be does the chainring clear the chainstay?
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

As above, chainrings are available with boost 3mm offset, but probably not if it has an odd bolt pattern.
Max recommended chainring is 36T on a boost crank on a Highball, so you might get away with it. It may also limit how wide a tyre you can run.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I've got non-boost old-style 104 bcd triple shimano HT2 cranks on my 2020 Highball with a 36t oval that just clears the chainstay in the middle position. It would be fine in the outer position but I try to keep the chainline as narrow as possible for the lower gears.

If your XTR cranks are a double then the outer position will probably be just a smidge wider than the middle on a triple so a 34t would probably fit.

If it's single-specific who knows!

Hope that helps. :-bd
redefined_cycles

Landslide wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:09 am You'll probably get away with the chainline bit, I suspect the greater concern will be does the chainring clear the chainstay?
Yes... this is the concern
redefined_cycles

Dyffers wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:23 am I've got non-boost old-style 104 bcd triple shimano HT2 cranks on my 2020 Highball with a 36t oval that just clears the chainstay in the middle position. It would be fine in the outer position but I try to keep the chainline as narrow as possible for the lower gears.

If your XTR cranks are a double then the outer position will probably be just a smidge wider than the middle on a triple so a 34t would probably fit.

If it's single-specific who knows!

Hope that helps. :-bd
Does indeed... I'll order the 34t ring but wont sell the Boost slx cranks just yet to be safe...

Thanks everybody
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:53 am ...wont sell the Boost slx cranks just yet to be safe...
If they are M7000 (or 7100?) and 175 give me a shout if you do sell them.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I think the XTR bcd is XTR specific (on the newer ones at least), so choice is a bit more limited and the shimano options seem to be about £80+, that's what's put me off getting newer cranks. Hope you find some cheap and let us know which ones! :-bd
redefined_cycles

Dyffers wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:58 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:53 am ...wont sell the Boost slx cranks just yet to be safe...
If they are M7000 (or 7100?) and 175 give me a shout if you do sell them.
Yup... m7000-B. Feel free to send in your offer in the meanwhile as you might twist my arm :smile: . Its just the cranks (no ring) to be used with a single ring. Very nice indeed :grin:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

depending on what XTR they are you may find rings a struggle

you can get 32 or nothing in M960 for example [bcd of 102]
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:24 pm depending on what XTR they are you may find rings a struggle

you can get 32 or nothing in M960 for example [bcd of 102]
Just heeded that advice. There was a 30t (£40) or 34 (£25) available at CRC. I've got mywelf a 34 just to be safe that I have one. Will check now to see if I have any clearance issues as I have a BB already so can get the cranks slapped on next week...

Thanks Jon
redefined_cycles

faustus wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:52 am I think the XTR bcd is XTR specific (on the newer ones at least), so choice is a bit more limited and the shimano options seem to be about £80+, that's what's put me off getting newer cranks. Hope you find some cheap and let us know which ones! :-bd
Got the 88bcd blackspire snaggletooth(cranks being the wierd m985) chainring that was available from CRC. 25 quid bargain and if it doesnt work I've not lost too much (except the fact I'll not be able to afford an XTR otherwise)...
redefined_cycles

That's the crank in (rightly or wrongly) 172.5 which is always hard to find...

Ain't she pretty.

Regards the chainline problem, I used to have that on the boosted Stan (otherwise known as what was to become the sh*t*y frame. Boost axle so you'd think the chainline would be perfect with boost cranks. But each time I backpedalled (1×11) when in biggest rear cog (42) the chainline was skewed enough that my chain would wanna jumpt to the next ring down. Alwaya assumed it a problem of 1x11 with such big cassettes, but obviously not. Standard cranks on the pinnacle (which is what it's designed for) and no problems with backpedals...
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:39 pm Regards the chainline problem, I used to have that on the boosted Stan (otherwise known as what was to become the sh*t*y frame. Boost axle so you'd think the chainline would be perfect with boost cranks. But each time I backpedalled (1×11) when in biggest rear cog (42) the chainline was skewed enough that my chain would wanna jumpt to the next ring down. Alwaya assumed it a problem of 1x11 with such big cassettes, but obviously not. Standard cranks on the pinnacle (which is what it's designed for) and no problems with backpedals...
Did you have a boost kit that spaced a normal hub 3mm either side, one that had a 6mm spacer on the non-drive side and needed the wheel redishing or a proper boost hub? If the first, it may have been your chainline was 3mm worse than you thought.
redefined_cycles

Nope... everything was boost specific (hence why I thought its a symptom or riding 1x11 in big sprockets). Hub was the 148/110 DTswiss m1700 wheelset (from Colin... thanks again). Stan had this weird thing going on with the rear thruAxle that when wound in, it'd sit about 5mm proud of the dropouts. Mentioned to them and they explained this was normal for that (shi**y) frame !

Pardon the bad language. Twas a nice (enough) bike
faustus

Post by faustus »

Yeah, my sonder camino has the same too much thread issue (though only an aesthetic issue). Only real grumble I have, they did claim it was for extra security in the frame, but of course total boll0x if the thread is just poking out. just seems like they had lots of the wrong length axles!

Anyway, good ol' M985 - hope the rings fit as the price is spot on!
redefined_cycles

Thanks Faustus... yes, am hoping so.

Regards the thru axle, yeah i only found out when it came round to wanting to upgrade it. There was some wierd length/standard I needed to go for as a 'fix'...

Can't wait for the new bike (well, i can as it's getting done nice n slowly)...