Brexit offer of help.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mactheknife68

Brexit offer of help.

Post by Mactheknife68 »

All the European stores appear to not ship to uk but I’m in Northern Ireland snd they will ship as they believe we are within the EU because of the protocol. Hilarious 😂

If anyone needs help ordering something I can help. You can order it with my address as the shipping address and I’ll post it to you at cost.
Mart

Re: Brexit offer of help.

Post by Mart »

:-bd thank you
2924 miles per Gallon
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Thanks for the offer, not being able to buy from places like Extremtextil is a pain as they are the only source for some materials etc.

However, my understanding is the reason they will ship to you is you are still in the customs union? So effectively still in the EU for imports. I'd have to check but I think when you then send it on we'd still get stung for VAT and duty on arrival here? The border is in the Irish Sea, hence the protocol.

I had considered getting my cousin's in Ireland to receive small parcels for me and send them on but I think the £135 threshold has also gone so I'd still have to pay duties.

Incidentally, the reason theses companies won't ship here is nothing to do with Brexit, it's because the UK government have decided that anyone (companies) who want to sell to the UK now has to register with HRMC and that costs. Lots of the small US companies will no longer ship to the UK either, e.g. SMD.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

135 quid threshold is still in place.

https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

It's the vat that's the issue. If I buy £50 worth of fabric and have it sent to my cousin I'll pay vat in the purchase price.

When he sends it to me, even pretending it's a gift, it's over £39 so I'll have to pay vat, again, but this time on the £50, on what it cost my cousin to post and on how much Royal Mail what for handling it :roll:

For £50 of fabric they could just lie about the value, but if it's something that's obviously more they'll seize it and calculate the value, it's probably also an offence to falsely declare the value.

We're basically shafted and I've just resigned myself to the fact that theses suppliers are no longer available to us :sad:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

I don’t think it’s the case as there’s no restriction on me sending to the uk
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

From looking here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/sending-par ... rn-ireland

It would appear that there is a fudge in place so you don't need to worry about tax if you ship between NI and the rest of the UK at the minute... as long as you aren't shipping wild mushrooms from near Chernobyl (and you think I'm joking! :shock: )
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

That’s what I thought.
Offer still stands.