Which Munros are Good to Cycle over?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

The Cumbrian

Which Munros are Good to Cycle over?

Post by The Cumbrian »

I've recently started the Munros, and I'm wondering which of then make good bike rides, either as a day ride or a bikepacking trip. I don't mind a bit of hike a bike, but If I'm biking it, I'd like to be cycling at least most of the time.

Cheers, Michael.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
ScotRoutes

Re: Which Munros are Good to Cycle over?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Cairngorm and Ben Macdui are often done as a pair. Mullach Clach a Bhlair and Sgorr Gaoith work well too.

Carn a Chlamain.

Glas Tulaichean.

Ben Lomond.

Ben Lawyers.

Most involve some amount of pushing/carrying and they've all been "done" by bike in one way or another. Personally, too many stray into "spoiling a good walk by taking a bike" for me to bother.

Using a bike to get into remoter areas works well though, especially if combining it with a night or two camping and using that as a base for Munro bagging.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:22 am Personally, too many stray into "spoiling a good walk by taking a bike" for me to bother.
That's what I'm hoping to avoid. There was an article in a mountain biking magazine (probably about 30 years ago now) about a guy who did them all on, or at least with, a mountain bike. I couldn't see the point in most of them. He even carried it up the Inn Pin and abseiled off with it.
Bilbo Baggins.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Find "Grizzly Munro Diaries" on Facebook. Chap is aiming to do them all with a bike. He posts some decent videos showing (mostly) the descents. They're quite short which reflects the quality/amount of riding .
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Also checkout McTrailrider on YouTube, he has done loads - he's a capable rider though, alot of the techy descents he does I know I'd be off pushing on a good few bits (descent from Ben Lomond being a prime example)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

rudedog wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:45 am Also checkout McTrailrider on YouTube, he has done loads - he's a capable rider though, alot of the techy descents he does I know I'd be off pushing on a good few bits (descent from Ben Lomond being a prime example)
He's also not averse to a bit of e-power to help with the climbs. One of my favourite channels on YouTube though.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Mount Keen
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Thanks everyone, some great suggestions there, and lots to watch.

Cheers, Michael.
Bilbo Baggins.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I watched some of McTrailrider's videos last night, great stuff. I'd definitely be walking down some of his descents though.
Bilbo Baggins.
robbie

Post by robbie »

boxelder wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:49 amMount Keen
This can be done in a great day ride loop from Aboyne
https://www.strava.com/activities/1601941646
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

We did the first part of that route but headed north toward Ballater when the path leaves the water of Tanar - it looked like a crazy steep climb up Mt keen !
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The summit cone path on the north side of Keen is a bit crap as its just a wide eroded trail. The trail along the west side of the summit is really nice though. The south side is much better.

Other Munros to do in the Glen Shee / Mounth area - Glas Maol and Little Glas Maol via the Monega Pass. While you are on you can also bag Cairn a Claise and Cairn an Tuic. If you are really keen you can link to Tollmount, Fafernie, Carn an Sagairt Mhor and then the ace descent to Callater stables. More = more so also look at the next couple of bumps up to the 'gar. The descent from here to Loch Muik is a cracker.
robbie

Post by robbie »

I think the north side path has been redone lately? They had started works on it when I last rode it and noticed it looked fresh from afar the night before I met u in Braemar Phil.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

robbie wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:51 pm I think the north side path has been redone lately? They had started works on it when I last rode it and noticed it looked fresh from afar the night before I met u in Braemar Phil.
Should be worth a look then - as long as its not all been done with huge steppy rocks....