Importing from the EU

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

Importing from the EU

Post by woodsmith »

Post (insert expletive here) brexit, what have been people's experiences of buying bike stuff from the EU from online stores or eBay?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Importing from the EU

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anything I've actually wanted / hoped to buy has being curtailed early on as all the suppliers of said items have point-blank refused to deal with the UK.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Just as normal though expect additional duties depending on what you are buying. Actual amounts vary according to contents and value.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

No issues here 😎
Popped into Mercadona for a few bits on Friday, no barricades or anything.
Bought an Exped mat and the UK supplier had the good grace not to charge me VAT, just awaiting the pre-delivery shitstorm, under £135 but that doesn't stop them.
Mactheknife68

Post by Mactheknife68 »

All the European stores appear to not ship to uk but I’m in Northern Ireland snd they will ship as they believe we are within the EU because of the protocol. Hilarious 😂

If anyone needs help ordering something I can help. You can order it with my address as the shipping address and I’ll post it to you at cost.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Right pain in the ar$e. Bought some brake calipers for the van from "CarPartsUK" or something like that (thinking that they would be within the UK) and they shipped from Germany. Paid an additional £20 to get them through customs, then the old units that I needed to return needed 4 sets of paperwork and an additional £22 to get them through customs at the far end.

Would have worked out much quicker and cheaper to get locally.

Was looking for a tent quite recently - available for £400 from Germany (but not shipping to the UK) and £560 within the UK (but out of stock).

And some people think we'll be better off. FFS.
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

>And some people think we'll be better off. FFS.

but…but….we have taken back control!
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Mactheknife68 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:22 am All the European stores appear to not ship to uk but I’m in Northern Ireland snd they will ship as they believe we are within the EU because of the protocol. Hilarious 😂

If anyone needs help ordering something I can help. You can order it with my address as the shipping address and I’ll post it to you at cost.
:lol:
Mart

Post by Mart »

Mactheknife68 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:22 am All the European stores appear to not ship to uk but I’m in Northern Ireland snd they will ship as they believe we are within the EU because of the protocol. Hilarious 😂

That’s a great offer - thank you
2924 miles per Gallon
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Haven't had any problems so far tbh. Bought those 29x3.0 Chronicles from Poland that were linked in the plus tyres thread. Bought a couple of effects pedals from Germany. All bought and shipped without issues.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Just bought a couple of tyres from a Polish eBay place. I'll post how it goes when they arrive.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Well the Exped mat I ordered from GBOutdoor arrived without incident or additional charges so pleased I got it VAT free and only £8 delivery in 4 days. Local sources were at least 30% dearer and some near double. Seems that the sub £135 limit works after all, might try them again, thanks KT for the link on the what mat thread.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Parcel arrived from eBay seller in 10 days with nothing extra to pay. ( value was around 75 quid).
Still gutting that Bke24 etc won't post to the UK as I gave up trying to find anything in stock in Wiggle/Chainreaction/Evans years ago
Boab

Post by Boab »

https://www.bike-discount.de/ will still ship, but only if you spend over 150€, so it's no longer worth it for saving a few quid on brake pads etc...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The way prices are going that'll soon be fixed 😜
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

We've got 'our jobs' back though - staff wanted signs everywhere in the Lakes and quite a few places on limited opening due to staff shortages 🤔😒 ~X(
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Two foreign successes in the last week.

StarBike (German) were very happy to ship me two rims €cheap + about €12 postage and must have registered for the UK VAT thing as I paid the 20% VAT charge in euros at the checkout and 6 days later ParcelFarce delivered it with no fuss.

I also bought some roofbars from a company in Dublin. I didn't have much choice in UK suppliers, debated whether things were flowing back and forth over the Ireland / NI border without too many checks and decided to chance it. They turned up in only a couple of days, again by ParcelFarce, with no charge or extra payments. I consider myself a bit luckier on that one than the pre-paid VAT German order.
Last edited by Dyffers on Thu Jul 08, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Thermorest Vesper quilt from Bergzeit came pain free and pretty quick. They did say duties iand VAT inc on the website, so wasn't really expecting any problems. Quilt was the last one I could.find anywhere (apart from maybe some outlets at much higher prices). So glad to have got it.