What £2K gravel bike...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

voodoo_simon

What £2K gravel bike...

Post by voodoo_simon »

Want a gravel bike, so what options are out there?

I’m really tempted by the Planet X tempest, ti, SRAM ect for £2K, looks good to me but it means buying from Plamet X :oops:

Don’t fancy aluminium but open to options of ti, carbon and steel. Also want it drop bar :grin:

Gravel to me means a bike that can keep pace on the road (more or less) and then when I see a dirt track, canal path, footpath I can go off and explore.

Have a carbon hardtail, so not really looking at gravel bikes such as a Fargo (ok, these probably aren’t described as gravel but you get the idea)
Lazarus

Re: What £2K gravel bike...

Post by Lazarus »

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-cgr-ti/

Dearer than the planet X @ £2.3k with 105 but it is Ti

Alpkit Camino Ti - £1.8 -£2.4 depending on group set
https://alpkit.com/collections/sonder-c ... l_titanium

Both "british" doubt many parts of the bikes are though.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:49 am
Don’t fancy aluminium but open to options of ti, carbon and steel.
What's the reason for discounting alu? Only asking as I'm in the market for a gravel bike myself and don't really understand the differences for an occasional hobby rider like myself?

I have a shortlist but they're all alu, Ribble Gravel AL, Canyon Grail, Nukeproof Digger or possibly a 2nd hand Pinnacle Arkose

I'm not in any rush though so will probably wait for this supply madness to be over
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Have you seen the new Decathlon range? A lot of bang for your buck.

If you like steel bikes the Brother Kepler is a very good looking but tad expensive option.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

A fairlight faran perhaps? Might be too much on the touring side of the fence.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Camino is tempting no?

Wouldn't personally want a bike from on one or planet x, even though the tempest ti looks decent
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bought a Titus Goldrush from PX late last year. So far, so lovely. Great value for money.

That and the Fireline are two of my favorite bikes (GW and MTB).

I know PX / OO are a love/hate thing but, well, mleh ...
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I've got a ti Camino and before that had the alu version. The ti bike is nicer but not by a huge amount and given that the frameset costs roughly three times the price of the alu version it's certainly not three times better. I'm not commenting on manufacturers/vendors, just saying that if price is a factor aluminium isn't necessarily a terrible choice.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Shewie wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:14 am
voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:49 am
Don’t fancy aluminium but open to options of ti, carbon and steel.
What's the reason for discounting alu? Only asking as I'm in the market for a gravel bike myself and don't really understand the differences for an occasional hobby rider like myself?

I have a shortlist but they're all alu, Ribble Gravel AL, Canyon Grail, Nukeproof Digger or possibly a 2nd hand Pinnacle Arkose

I'm not in any rush though so will probably wait for this supply madness to be over
It’s hard to quantify (mainly as there’s aluminium frames and then there’s aluminium frames) but swapped all my bits from one aluminium frame over to a steel frame and it felt nicer. Everything the same except for the frame. Also had two aluminium road bikes but my steel road bike just rode nicer. I’m sure a lot is down to geometry but that’s my experience. My fatbike is aluminium but figured the tyres probably affect the ride more so than the frame material.

Obviously carbon cake be shaped and made to however the designer wants it, so either a harsh ride or a comfortable ride and never had titanium.

Hmmm, yeah Planet X does put me off but the tempest looks ace.

I’ll check out the Ribble as I’ve always wanted one. I know that sounds daft but I went to uni in Preston and always promised myself a Ribble once I graduated (that was 15 years ago :lol: )

Forgot about the fairlight, I’ll check those out and I had originally discounted the Camino due to their stock
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Jurassic wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:30 pm I've got a ti Camino and before that had the alu version. The ti bike is nicer but not by a huge amount and given that the frameset costs roughly three times the price of the alu version it's certainly not three times better. I'm not commenting on manufacturers/vendors, just saying that if price is a factor aluminium isn't necessarily a terrible choice.
That’s a very good point :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I *believe* the Goldrush is built to handle loaded riding so may not be the whipiest of frames. I'd struggle to tell in all honesty. I find a lot of talk about bikes performance/ character etc to be utter bollox. No offence intended to anyone commenting here 😎

I didnt like my Camino due to chronic toe lap. Quite possibly because I got a medium but should've been on a large. The Goldrush, in large, has virtually none which is another wonderful thing 🙂
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:36 pm I *believe* the Goldrush is built to handle loaded riding so may not be the whipiest of frames. I'd struggle to tell in all honesty. I find a lot of talk about bikes performance/ character etc to be utter bollox. No offence intended to anyone commenting here 😎

I didnt like my Camino due to chronic toe lap. Quite possibly because I got a medium but should've been on a large. The Goldrush, in large, has virtually none which is another wonderful thing 🙂
I have to say that in my (admittedly limited) experience there wasn't much difference in feel between the titanium bike and the aluminium one. This was my first ti bike and whilst it does feel nice it's not the life changing experience to ride that I'd read about in some places.
Regarding the toe overlap, I wear size 44 shoes, have had full mudguards permanently fitted to both my Caminos and have no overlap on a size large frame.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Gotta say, I love my Nukeproof Digger Factory.
If I could post a pic of it?
I would..
psling

Post by psling »

I have a Kona Sutra ultd. It's the sort of bike that makes me want to go out and ride.
I think they do three models, a light tourer, a gravel bike (the ltd), and a monster cross thing (the ultd). Bit thin on the ground at the moment though.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Thread update - thanks for all the suggestions. Johnnystorm can go to the top of the class with his suggestion of a Salsa Warroad :-bd

Just took delivery of one, £2000 instead of £3750...
https://www.lyonequipment.com/bikes

Can’t wait to ride it
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
If it had adjustable drop outs I'd be tempted myself