Downloading gpx files to Garmin etrex 22x

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rollindoughnut

Downloading gpx files to Garmin etrex 22x

Post by rollindoughnut »

A little while back I bought an etrex for backup on a trip. I tried downloading gpx files from ridewithgps onto it but for some reason they did not appear on the device.
I googled how to do it and followed the instructions but to no avail. Gave it up as I didn't need any more hassle and put the routes on my Garmin 810 and used that.
I'd like to have another go so is there anything I've not thought of? I wondered at the time if the files contained too many waypoints or something? I'm not great with computers, find them exasperating.
whitestone

Re: Downloading gpx files to Garmin etrex 22x

Post by whitestone »

Did you download the GPX as a route or as a track? The latter are a lot easier to work with. Routes have waypoints, not sure how the Etrex handles them but with the Oregon there's a different menu option to view them. Someone with an Etrex might be able to comment more accurately.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I've found the same issue with GPX files from OS onto my dakota. As Bob says its something to do with tracks or routes. A quick fix is to upload the GPX file onto bikehike, save it as a GPX track then bung it on the GPS - it will work fine.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Do you have a pc/laptop,?
If so, consider installing Garmin Basecamp.
You can import the GPX file into that, organise routes into list etc then, with the Etrex plugged into a USB port, simply drag/drop the route(s) of your choice onto the Etrex

I have an Etrex 35, and have been using this setup, for a few years
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

I'll try basecamp.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Hi, I too have had lots of "fun" with downloading gpx files onto my etrex, and with the etrex in general, though now that I can do it I think it's great.
I generally am just grateful each time it works, I also installed Basecamp and that did the trick, no idea how though...
Just managed to get the gritfest gpx files onto mine, huge relief there, making it a Cheery Friday for me 😃