Six moons lunar solo

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

robbie

Six moons lunar solo

Post by robbie »

Going to purchase one of these. Can anyone recomend the best length pole for it as I've seen a few mentions of the std pole being too short, which I'll purchase from the bear
A quick google suggests Ultralightoutdoor is the best place to purchase from. Anyone found them cheaper?
Cheers
ScotRoutes

Re: Six moons lunar solo

Post by ScotRoutes »

Stu has them listed on the shop page.

https://www.bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/ ... fic-poles/

Suggestion - get another short pole to use as a lifter at your head end.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

125cm / 49" which is what SMD recommend works fine.
Anyone found them cheaper?
As far as I know UOG are the only UK supplier. You may also struggle to obtain one from anywhere else. I did see that SMD will no longer supply UK customers directly due to Brexit.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Stu's pole is ideal. Packs small, light and proper stiff
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

jamiep wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:21 pm Stu's pole is ideal. Packs small, light and proper stiff
*Sniggers*
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

No comments about the Lunar Solo but I used one of Stu's poles in my Gatewood Cape earlier this week for a bivvy/camp right on the shore of Loch Caolisport (a sea loch)up here in Scotland. It was a wild night with really heavy rain and a strong gusty wind right off the sea with an essentially unsheltered pitch and the Gatewood stayed rock solid thanks to the rigidity of the Pole a Bear pole.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I'd go for the 49 inch pole as recommended by Six Moons.

Carbon vs alloy poles. A few days before I left for a 3 month ride in the US I met a a friend for a few beers and a night away. At some point during the night I needed a piss, on the way out of the Lunar Solo I clipped the pole with my foot and it snapped, the tent became a bivy bag for the rest of the night. I could have had the carbon pole repaired but it was so close to departure the only option I had was to buy a walking pole and use that for the duration of the trip.

The moral of this is, carbon poles snap, alloy poles bend.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

"A snapped pole is as much use as a bent pole to a man in a collapsed shelter" said a wise assed man! :lol:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Pirahna wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:06 am The moral of this is, carbon poles snap, alloy poles bend.
Jurassic wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:09 am "A snapped pole is as much use as a bent pole to a man in a collapsed shelter" said a wise assed man!
+1

Also every - and there have been a few - aluminium pole (tent and hiking ones) I've bent and tried to bend back snapped (expectedly).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Weirdly (perhaps) nearly all reported breakages have occurred following the consumption of alcohol, so maybe there's another moral to the story? :wink:

On a more serious note, do remember that I will gladly and even happily repair or replace any pole, no matter how pissed or clumsy you were when ending its life.
robbie

Post by robbie »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:50 am
Weirdly (perhaps) nearly all reported breakages have occurred following the consumption of alcohol, so maybe there's another moral to the story? :wink:

On a more serious note, do remember that I will gladly and even happily repair or replace any pole, no matter how pissed or clumsy you were when ending its life.
Can't say fairer than that :-bd
On further investigation there seems to be many updates over the years to this tent.
This is the one I was looking at
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... ent-p10298
Not sure what model it is or what the differences are. Without spending hours googling does anyone know?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Standard 49" pole for that one. The earlier (all grey) models were 48" peak height.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Bought loads of poles over the years and I'll never use alu poles again having used Stu's crabon fibre versions.

Yes, alu poles bend, but they bend way before a CF pole will break. And if they bend, they may as well have broken. Witness a night under a tarp at a campsite near Banbury about 8 years ago when the pole (not one of Stu's BTW) just folded over and bent in half. I wrapped the tarp around me and tried to suffer through it but eventually escaped to the campsite loos.

Stu, I'm not blowing smoke up yer bum mate but I just love your poles. :-bd
I'm just going outside ...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

robbie wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:52 pm Going to purchase one of these. Can anyone recomend the best length pole for it as I've seen a few mentions of the std pole being too short, which I'll purchase from the bear
A quick google suggests Ultralightoutdoor is the best place to purchase from. Anyone found them cheaper?
Cheers
Don't buy any other poles that Stuarts here on the Bear Bones shop.
I say this for 3 reasons

1) There is no better pole to buy

2) It might make Stuart crack a smile when he receives another order

3) It supports Bear Bones , this here forum and helps keep all things Bear Bones ticking over for us all to carry on enjoying
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I still have the original (Easton) pole I bought with my LS. It's in a box at home. It's marginally lighter than Stus but it flexes too much under load. As a result it's often difficult to get a taught pitch and the storm performance of the LS takes a massive hit.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

JohnClimber wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:52 pm
2) It might make Stuart crack a smile when he receives another order
Easy now, they are good, but don’t expect miracles :wink:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Is having smoke blown one's anus pleasant? Pretty hot I'd have thought 🔥
slarge

Post by slarge »

boxelder wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:23 am Is having smoke blown one's anus pleasant? Pretty hot I'd have thought 🔥
Ask anyone who’s done the Smoke Ring?
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

boxelder wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:23 am Is having smoke blown one's anus pleasant? Pretty hot I'd have thought 🔥
Not too bad but your farts smell like a dirty fireplace for a while afterwards.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

I’ve used the aluminium one from ULOG which was a bit too flexible for comfort when windy (any engineers on here - looked like a good example of Euler buckling about to happen...). Bought a carbon one off Stuart and it’s absolutely solid. (I did snap it by clumsily leaning on it, but Stuart sorted a replacement section quickly). For a temporary fix I splinted it with gaffer tape and a stick.