Completing the holy trinity of sleep success

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

pistonbroke

Completing the holy trinity of sleep success

Post by pistonbroke »

As we've recently done quilts and the multiple ways of shelter, thought I'd ask what's the up to date gold standard for sleeping mats. I own mats at either end of the spectrum, an Exped 7 downmat which has the weight and bulk of a boat anchor and a cheap waffle design blow up jobbie that has no insulation but packs small. I guess I'm looking at the best of both worlds, small pack bulk, decent insulation and as my sleeping habits resemble a tumble drier, no crisp packet effect. I've also been trying my hand at hammocking so would prefer not to take an underquilt as night temps here in Spain don't normally drop below 10° Any thoughts on what I should be looking at? I realise this is moononastick.com but thought I'd ask
The Cumbrian

Re: Completing the holy trinity of sleep success

Post by The Cumbrian »

For most of the year I use a Thermarest Uberlite Large, and always sleep well. I've used it standalone on frosty nights, with the caveat that the ground wasn't frozen when I set up camp, and I'm a warm sleeper. I've used it on frozen ground, but backed it it with a very this piece of CCF pad, which I always carry anyway to lounge about on.

I've used mats in hammocks, and they've kept me warm, but because they're impermeable there was usually a pool of sweat in the morning. Underquilts are much better, and a lightweight 2/3 length one should be good for those temperatures.

Cheers, Michael.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
RIP

Post by RIP »

No doubt usual T'rest v Exped calls will ensue :smile: with a bit of Klymit added for variety.

Exped is usually Hyperlite isn't it but I'll stick with my HL Winterlite please. Only a few ounces more than the HL, and a little bulkier but quite a lot thicker and comfier IMHO. And no crisps in earshot either.

I need my pleasant dreams or the next day is poo.
Last edited by RIP on Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh and while we're on, I'll mention pillows again (yes I know there's a thread next door): Exped pillowpump for me. I don't get along with the Schnoz as a pump for some reason, so may as well combine pump and pillow. Like the shape, depth and material.

Mat, pillow, pump, bag/quilt, what else is there? Nightcap? I'm going to start taking one of those Victorian nightdresses and caps I think.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

RIP wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:03 am Nightcap?
Whatever whisky's currently in the cupboard.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:

pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Hadn't thought about the pool of sweat thing, in fact it was the last thing I was thinking about when shivering at 1300m last weekend. Not taking a mat could backfire as on longer trips as I regularly come across refuges or picnic areas with a sheltered concrete floor which are perfect if it rains in the night.
Verena

Post by Verena »

I can add crivit to the offering here, isn't that Lidl's own brand 😂? Or anyhow that's where I got it from. Bit like my stasha, ignorance is bliss once more, it's the one and only I have and it's fine.

Whileever I'm carrying a good half to a whole stone of weight I don't need, I'm not going to worry about a few grams here or there in my kit...

Sorry if that spoils the whole fun... :wink:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Landslide wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:10 am
RIP wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:03 am Nightcap?
Whatever whisky's currently in the cupboard.
Damn, beat me to it.

Mine's an Ardbeg, Reg, cheers. Or rather Slainte.

Guess I should try and contribute something useful while I'm here...

I agree with Reg that a good (warm) night's sleep is worth is few extra grams. Exped Downmat 5L here. Think it's about 6-700g. Worth repeating Stu's maxim that you can be over-bagged, but not over-matted.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Watching with interest, as this was going to be my next question... 🤣 I was leaning towards a Exped SynMat HL M, mainly as I have the Exped pump pillow, so seems like it should be an option. I don't really know much about current Therm-a-rest mats, but I'm assuming the NeoAir UberLite Regular is worth a look.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Five posts and we're already on to the demon drink :grin: . Sorry PB, back to mats. I'll get my round in when I see you 'Wind :-bd .

RIP

Post by RIP »

K1100T wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:46 pm Watching with interest, as this was going to be my next question... 🤣 I was leaning towards a Exped SynMat HL M, mainly as I have the Exped pump pillow, so seems like it should be an option.
Can't go wrong with that combo I reckon KT. I usually stuff the pillow into my zipped up fleece then pull the fleece down over the head end of the mat. Stays there rock solid all night. Certainly worth getting the HL over the UL if you're ok with the taper (and credit card bill!)

Boab

Post by Boab »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:26 pm I agree with Reg that a good (warm) night's sleep is worth is few extra grams. Exped Downmat 5L here. Think it's about 6-700g. Worth repeating Stu's maxim that you can be over-bagged, but not over-matted.
I've currently got an Exped DownMat Lite 5 M, and it's totally fine. At 620 g though, I feel that I can do better, especially for the current weather. I can always use the DownMat when the ground is colder.
RIP wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:51 pm
K1100T wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:46 pm Watching with interest, as this was going to be my next question... 🤣 I was leaning towards a Exped SynMat HL M, mainly as I have the Exped pump pillow, so seems like it should be an option.
Can't go wrong with that combo I reckon KT. I usually stuff the pillow into my zipped up fleece then pull the fleece down over the head end of the mat. Stays there rock solid all night. Certainly worth getting the HL over the UL if you're ok with the taper (and credit card bill!)
It would appear I'm in the weight weenie game now... 🙄
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

K1100T wrote: It would appear I'm in the weight weenie game now... 🙄
Yep apologies for dragging you down to our level but with weight once you pop you just can't stop...

Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

What on earth are you lot doing helping Duncan sleep longer? Think of the additional sound pollution
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

pistonbroke wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:25 amI've also been trying my hand at hammocking so would prefer not to take an underquilt as night temps here in Spain don't normally drop below 10° Any thoughts on what I should be looking at? I realise this is moononastick.com but thought I'd ask
Ive tried mats in hammocks a few times and find they move around under you as you turn over, and repositioning them gets all a bit kama sutric as you try to move something that you're actually lying on. The least worst option was a sheet of thin CCF matting that was wide enough to snug up under the edges of the hammock, which tend to fold inwards when you climb into it. I cant remember where I bought it or indeed where it currently is, but it was 1/8th inch so could be folded up to pretty compact size and weighed next to nothing. It was also great as a sit mat and insulated ground sheet. I lost track of it (it's in the loft or the shed for sure) when I bought an underquilt.

As for a ground mat, I use an Exped Synmat UL in the long/wide unless I get a dose of the TLS when my Thermarest comes along and I curse myself as Ive never had a decent night on it, arms falling off the side if Im on my back, hip digging into the ground when Im on my side and that crinkley sound everytime I move, which is all the time.
I'm just going outside ...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Now the logic in this may be affected by me just having had a very long lunch in San Sebastian but to solve the pool of sweat and sliding about issues, could attaching the insulated mat to the outside of the hammock be a solution? I'm thinking elastic straps sewn or clipped onto the hammock fabric and using the mat like an underquilt. Anyone tried it?
And as for DaveB, in the words of Ian McMillan, the poet laureate of Barnsley
"Tha can bollox"
Last edited by pistonbroke on Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Funny because I have an older Exped Synmat 7 and a Thermarest Neo Air X-Lite and I prefer the Thermarest. The Exped has mysteriously gone flat on me a couple of times for no apparent reason totally at random. I can only think that there was grit in the plug causing a slow leak as the mat itself seems to be fine. The only time the Exped comes out now is when it's really cold and I think I need more insulation but I've also sourced a piece of 3mm CCF to put under the Thermarest and try (which I've not used yet to be fair due to a total lack of bivvy activity last winter with Covid restrictions ongoing).