My new superfast-built custom bag

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

My new superfast-built custom bag

Post by redefined_cycles »

Sorry for bothering (again.. honestly, I'm sorry for being so needy :o don't tell Boris the racist islamophobic bar-steward). I've gone down the custom route via Custom Merit for my bag. Thanks Jon...

Dont want it to look tacky. Its on my commuter bike (IndyFab I'll have you know) so need to ensure I get it right. Here is what the drawing looks lile provisionally. No zigzags as requested...

Thoughts
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: Help needed with (retro) custom framebag

Gonna leave the colour scheme to them as I'll only mess it up...
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I'd run a shorter bottle on the R. That space above the current bottle I would say would be of little use.

Though on a commuter I would keep the framebag for tools tubes and an emergency waterproof or gilet. Such an awkward space is a pain to pack and unpack on a daily basis.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Rich. Noted and I've asked for that area to be a bit fatter (well 10cm as opposed to 6) and there'll be some daisy chain on the inside so whatever I fasten towards the back of the bag (tool wallet?) can stay put...

Main use for the bag would be fastpacking possibly bikepacking too!) day rides so might not get used all the time for commutes...
Scud

Post by Scud »

No idea about the bags... but beautiful frame.. (the bike i mean!)
redefined_cycles

Scud wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:12 am No idea about the bags... but beautiful frame.. (the bike i mean!)
Thanks Scud... About 4 years ago I think I asked on here before selling on my Independent Fab steel Deluxe. Stu had advised against it which is one of the things I was pondering on... A few bikes later and after lusting after a road version of an Indy Fab I finally got one (bargain basement price of well under £800 for the frameset too).

It rides beautiful and goes to show how well they must have been making the Fat Chance-Yo Eddy all them years ago. Framebag specs finalised, paid and the chaps at Custom Merit should have it put together shortly.

Thanks Jon (Climber).
redefined_cycles

Re: My new superfast built custom bag (thanks Mr Climber)

Got this lovely pic through today. With a message that its been dispatched (from Netherlands) and its been the fastest bag they've ever built.

Thanks to Custom Merit as well as John Climber for bringing em to the forums attention.

Will update with a pic when it arrives
redefined_cycles

Re: My new superfast built custom bag

Rich, I wondered about the small sectiom at the bike and stuff falling about. They add a little velcro-compatible rail on the inside to the bag to ensure things can be secured and immobilised.

Will report back on fit and usage. Hope it gets to me in time...
Bearlegged

Re: My new superfast built custom bag (thanks Mr Climber)

Post by Bearlegged »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:16 pm the fastest bag they've ever built.
That's the kind of claim that needs some wind-tunnel testing data to back it up.
redefined_cycles

:lol: you know what I mean...

Contacted them on Saturday I think. By Monday the payment had cleared, 3 or 4 design iterations and digital alterations and by Thursday the bag was finished and dispatched :o
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Just seen this post,
I'm glad it's worked out (hopefully on arrival too)

The lads are super helpful, very communicative, easy to get on with and their attention to detail is amazing

Looking forward to seeing the fitted bag :-bd
Jurassic

Re: My new superfast-built custom bag

Post by Jurassic »

Those bags look really nice folks. A new company to me, how are the prices?
redefined_cycles

About £130 for half bag and about £180 for the full. Bout £15 postage and they do try to get round the brexit thingy (this comment will self destruct). Proper custom coordination though and it would seem they have some proper attention to detail...
redefined_cycles

Managed to track it to Rotherham via the parcelforce website. They're sending me a letter to pay customs charges apparently :sad:
redefined_cycles

£34.45 customs charge :sad: just going to collect now from Rotherham...
robbie

Post by robbie »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:58 am £34.45 customs charge :sad: just going to collect now from Rotherham...
Seems about right Shaf from what I paid for my goodies from Europe. Don't worry I'm sure brexit will be worth it in the end ~X( =))
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:58 am £34.45 customs charge :sad: just going to collect now from Rotherham...
But that helps pay for the unicorns and keeping the foreigners out............
redefined_cycles

Just been to collect it. At first I was a little underwhelmed after the fit seemed very 'off'. Lots of little tantrums in my head and lots of 'well I should've contacted Ian/Wildcat' and, 'well this is no Revelate is it'...

Anyway, tantrums over and I looked again. I'd put the straps on wrong. Also the customs wasnt actually only £23... the rest was ParcelForce handling fee.

Rode back with it and aside from the fact that I'm ever so slightly broke, for the moment, I think I really like it. Might swap the straps for some thinner double sided velcro though... Excellent workmanship and super fast delivery. Apart from The Brexsit', what's not to like... A pic here...

Last edited by redefined_cycles on Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
redefined_cycles

JohnClimber wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:46 pm
But that helps pay for the unicorns and keeping the foreigners out............
As I popped past the petrol station I ntoiced the blurb on front pages... Apparently Boris saying that this Brexit is really driving up the UK workmanship and quality and all that. He obviously said it much more irritatingly...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Don't forget to send the lads a picture for their gallery Shaf

https://www.custommeritgear.com/gallery
redefined_cycles

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:50 pm Don't forget to send the lads a picture for their gallery Shaf

https://www.custommeritgear.com/gallery
Already did parked at the RM depot :smile:
redefined_cycles

Hi Jon. Hopefully you'll find this message but just wanted to once again say 'thanks'for the Custom Merit recommendations. I wanted to give it a good few outings before I left them a Google Review. It's a straight A in case you're wondering. Its done a 200 miler or two, plenty of work commutes as well as a couple of 70 to 80 miler commutes aswell.

Just wanted to say thanks and hopefully you'll find the review and it'll bring you another smile to your happy self. Mucho gracia !
redefined_cycles

Oh... sorry about the Alpkit bottle in the first post. Eurgh :oops: how bloomin embarrassing.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 6:19 pm Hi Jon. Hopefully you'll find this message but just wanted to once again say 'thanks'for the Custom Merit recommendations. I wanted to give it a good few outings before I left them a Google Review. It's a straight A in case you're wondering. Its done a 200 miler or two, plenty of work commutes as well as a couple of 70 to 80 miler commutes aswell.

Just wanted to say thanks and hopefully you'll find the review and it'll bring you another smile to your happy self. Mucho gracia !
No worries.

I've had some of mine for 2 or 3 years now and they have been through the washing machine (on 30) a dozen times and they are still perfect.

Mickey came over and rode my 29er+ with his bags on it at the WRT and even he said they have made some changes in those 2 years and can spot his errors, that I can't see.

So he's developing new ways of doing things and improving with each bag
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

:-bd

John and Shaf, any chance you know what zipper your bags have? Looks like a regular YKK size 10...?

I need to make a couple of framebags and one will see everyday use (loads of zipping :-)). Up till know I went with YKK Aquaguard size 5, but larger must hold longer and I don't really need a 'waterproof' one.

Any tipps would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers