MSR Whisperlight stove advice

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Johnhenry

MSR Whisperlight stove advice

Post by Johnhenry »

Gonna be heading to Asia as soon as possible and I've only ever used my gas burner.
I know I won't be able to get gas canisters most of the time so have bought a MSR whisper light International and intend to run it on standard petrol, just after any do and don't and should I get the service/expedition kit even though it's brand new.
Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks
lune ranger

Re: MSR Whisperlight stove advice

Post by lune ranger »

I’ve used an MSR (Dragonfly or Simmerlight) stove on many long trips. Ultimately they are very reliable and it shouldn’t give you any problems whatsoever.
I do carry a spares set but have had no occasion to use it en route. Definitely take the two types of burner jet so you can use any fuel that comes your way, in reality though, you are never far away from unleaded petrol these days.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As Luke says, should work fine on unleaded.
May the bridges you burn light your way
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

No harm in buying the maintenance kit then stripping the bits out (packaging) and taking what you need. Take all the bits for burning a variety of fuels. Learn how to strip and service your stove.

In 20 years of using a variety of MSR stoves from Whisperlites to XKGs I've only had one failure on the stove (O ring) but several on the pump. They are amazingly robust.

I've also had the joy of watching one explode due to an idiot who had no idea how to use one. Thankfully no one hurt - but a lot of hair lost.
Johnhenry

Post by Johnhenry »

Many Thanks, i'll order the service kit just in case.
Cheers
Bumpy Jonas

Post by Bumpy Jonas »

I have a wisperlite dont use it much now but when i did long remote trips I took a complete spare pump. Always had the fear of the plastic plunger breaking but it never did. Rarely a problem with the stove itself. Burns diesel and white spirit well. Give it a good go with all fuels before you leave.
Cheers Peter
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Johnhenry wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:51 am Many Thanks, i'll order the service kit just in case.
Cheers
Learn how it's done at home.
This way you may find some parts not needed.

I never took/take a full service kit with me, unless yaks/dzos/donkeys/horses are carrying my stuff around.

Also never had a full spare pump with me. For trips of more than a month, I just made sure to bring a fairly new pump. If I recall correctly, I've had two pumps crack at the hose opening. Since the sealing o-ring sits behind the that spot, it meant the pump could still be used, albeit it may have been dangerous to do so (since using petrol). I'm quite sure this is also the most common failure on the pump.

During the trip, shake the stove (mobilise needle in jet) before use.
Once you close to being done, like 1 - 2 before you turn the stove off, flip the fuel bottle with the vavle still open. This blows pressurised air from the bottle through the hose, heater and eventually, once the hose and heater flushed with air (which takes about a min), the air will blow the jet clean.
No residue, less soot, less to clean and less stress.

Bring a spare needle and definately some sort of key for the jet. They can come loose after a couple of weeks shaking about in a frame bag on rough tracks.

Only get fuel from offical vendors. Petrol station, drugstore etc.
I've bought petrol on markets in the Himalayas and Transhimalays and whilst the situations on the market trying to make sure it's petrol were funny, the stove suffered much.
Bring an ultra sonic water bath if you plan to treat your stove with dirty stuff :wink:
There's a limit to how well you can clean some of MSR's stoves.

Best MSR stoves to clean are indeed Whisperlite Uni and Int.
anagallis_arvensis

Post by anagallis_arvensis »

Don't buy one, it'll never break and you'll be stuck with it for decades, with it happily boiling water whilst looking a bit shabby and you gazing furtively at new, young, shinier stoves which glint away catching your eye
Johnhenry

Post by Johnhenry »

Alpinum wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:15 am
Johnhenry wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:51 am Many Thanks, i'll order the service kit just in case.
Cheers
Learn how it's done at home.
This way you may find some parts not needed.

I never took/take a full service kit with me, unless yaks/dzos/donkeys/horses are carrying my stuff around.

Also never had a full spare pump with me. For trips of more than a month, I just made sure to bring a fairly new pump. If I recall correctly, I've had two pumps crack at the hose opening. Since the sealing o-ring sits behind the that spot, it meant the pump could still be used, albeit it may have been dangerous to do so (since using petrol). I'm quite sure this is also the most common failure on the pump.

During the trip, shake the stove (mobilise needle in jet) before use.
Once you close to being done, like 1 - 2 before you turn the stove off, flip the fuel bottle with the vavle still open. This blows pressurised air from the bottle through the hose, heater and eventually, once the hose and heater flushed with air (which takes about a min), the air will blow the jet clean.
No residue, less soot, less to clean and less stress.

Bring a spare needle and definately some sort of key for the jet. They can come loose after a couple of weeks shaking about in a frame bag on rough tracks.

Only get fuel from offical vendors. Petrol station, drugstore etc.
I've bought petrol on markets in the Himalayas and Transhimalays and whilst the situations on the market trying to make sure it's petrol were funny, the stove suffered much.
Bring an ultra sonic water bath if you plan to treat your stove with dirty stuff :wink:
There's a limit to how well you can clean some of MSR's stoves.

Best MSR stoves to clean are indeed Whisperlite Uni and Int.
Very useful tips there, never heard of running just air through at the end to clean hose & jet! Cheers