MSR Trailshot

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Dave Barter

MSR Trailshot

Post by Dave Barter »

I’ve just finished another section of the Cape Wrath trail by self supported backpacking. I filtered my water using a Sawyer Microfilter with the squeeze bag system. I found filling the bag a pita in many circumstances where streams were low.

Would the trailshot be better? It looks like it should draw from shallow areas and does not need the bag ?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Re: MSR Trailshot

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Your assumption is correct Dave. However, regular (it's dead simple) cleaning is a must if flow is to be maintained. The other option is to continue with the Sawyer but cut the end of the bag off, allowing much easier filling from the new hole in the bottom rather than the small hole in the top.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

It will draw from shallow water even a puddle will do - perhaps as little as an inch deep perhaps less never really measured it . However you will also get frustrated pumping away at deep rivers /areas when you know you would just fill your sytem in seconds

Basically the MSR has a wider range of working scenarios at the cost of time spent filtering

Edit: I have considered the flexible water bottle type with the filter in it but the reality is there will be a point when I need the MSR flexibility/ability to work with limited water..
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I have both Dave. Each is good at times and a PITA at others. Trailshot is most definitely better for smaller trickles of water when filling the bloody bag through a tiny hole won’t work.
Both systems can clog fairly easily. The Sawyer is way easier to get back to speed with the syringe but I never carry it on rides. The MSR cleans with no extra kit but doesn’t clean as well IMO.
I like the Sawyer more than the MSR when I’m tired - like on an ITT ride - where the pumping needed to get the MSR going is a bit too much effort for my puny arm’s .
I’m still searching for the perfect filter. Sometimes I think just chemicals like Micropur are the answer but I don’t want the lag time needed when using them.
I just took delivery of a waist pack hydration system and MSR in-line filter to try out.
The search continues.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Do a search about the Trailshot Dave, I had some problems with mine in that it wouldn't fill the bulb correctly. In that thread I quote an MSR rep about the cleaning regime, from memory it should be done after every use but it only takes 30 seconds or so.

It certainly does work in very shallow pools, I've used it in puddles in tracks for instance.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Thanks all. I feel I am in the Luke quandary as it’s not going to be the best of both worlds.

Bob I’ve seen some reviews also moaning at the number of pumps required to get a litre.

Hmmmm
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... 0-6l-p7645

Katadyn BeFree Water Filtration System

thats the soft water bottle so presumably faster to fill but will still need a certain depth/flow
Never used but what I have considered given MSR limitations. You can are rarely far from a river in the UK
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

If you want Dave you could borrow mine for a while to see what you think. I’d be happy to pop it in the post or meet for a day ride sometime soon.
WSC
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Cheers Luke let’s meet up soon
benp1

Post by benp1 »

The pumping is definitely a faff

But it's got me water from sources that wouldn't have been an option with any other device. Case in point - Welsh 3000s, boiling hot weather and no hiding from the sun, really struggling for water. Could hear it but not see it, tiny little stream/flow running beneath the surface. Managed to poke the hose down through a gap to get at it. Was a little while before I got to my next water source so that fill really made all the difference
RIP

Post by RIP »

Pumping time doesn't bother me at all - what's the rush peeps? Enjoy watching the dappled sunlight (or the pissing rain) on the surface of your water source while you're filtering. Or whatever.

If filtering time/faff/effort really is a problem - get a Steripen :smile: .

I've got three gizmos for water. Like with my shelters and stoves etc, the one I take each time is often entirely at the whim of the Random Waterpurifier/Shelter/Stove/etc Generator :grin: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I've used a Sawyer Squeeze and a Micro, and they both quickly suffered from low flow rates, despite regular back flushing. I switched to a HydroBlu Versa Flow and that's been much better.

The problems filling the bag went away when I replaced the stock bag with a Cnoc Vecto, and I always carry a foil Capri Sun pouch (with the top cut off) to fill the dirty water bag with water from the smallest trickle or puddle. It's also useful in larger bodies of water to be more selective when filling the dirty water bag with cleaner water and fewer particles.

Cheers, Michael.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I always carry a foil Capri Sun pouch (with the top cut off) to fill the dirty water bag with water from the smallest trickle or puddle. It's also useful in larger bodies of water to be more selective when filling the dirty water bag with cleaner water and fewer particles.
Good tips :-bd
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

I have the katdyn befree and the Sawyer mini. I tend to just use the befree when I need to now as it's easier, but that's not from shallow little puddles/scrapes.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I have both the Sawyer Mini and the Trailshot. I prefer the Trailshot for ease of use and speed, and only tend to take the Sawyer now when it's there as a backup as it's about half the weight and packs a bit smaller.

I get where you're coming from about time Reg, but come back to me when you've used the Sawyer to fill a 2l bladder for the day and extra for breakfast/cuppa - when you're stood outside a bothy in the freezing cold squeezing water through a filter, time seems to slow down in a way usually reserved for waiting for driving tests, etc. :wink:

Any Trailshot users have any tips for cleaning/storage? I used mine the weekend before last, flushed it through with clean water at home and left it dismantled on my conservatory window ledge to dry, where it's been pretty toasty as you can imagine. Picked it up this morning and it's still got moisture in it, which doesn't seem ideal.
RIP

Post by RIP »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:15 am I get where you're coming from about time Reg, but come back to me when you've used the Sawyer to fill a 2l bladder for the day and extra for breakfast/cuppa - when you're stood outside a bothy in the freezing cold squeezing water through a filter, time seems to slow down in a way usually reserved for waiting for driving tests, etc. :wink:
Aye fair do's. I do prefer my T'shot to my Sawyer these days too.
Any Trailshot users have any tips for cleaning/storage? I used mine the weekend before last, flushed it through with clean water at home and left it dismantled on my conservatory window ledge to dry, where it's been pretty toasty as you can imagine. Picked it up this morning and it's still got moisture in it, which doesn't seem ideal.
Left mine on the bathroom radiator for 5 days last time. Bit OTT but it worked. Two stupid things I've done in the past are destroying a cartridge by freezing overnight, and putting the non-return diaphragm thingy in the wrong way round and wondering why nowt came out!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've not used mine in a couple of years so I should probably take it apart and give it a clean.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Pump some water containing Milton or Puritabs through before and after long periods of storage.
WSC
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I've never cleaned my Trailshot and it still pumps reasonably quickly but it's only been used in Scotland where there's usually lots of deeper water sources. I'm guessing that's why it's never clogged up. I'm glad I read this thread as I've been using it the last few days doing the outer Cairngorms Loop and just dried it off and chucked it back in my camping box. I'll get it back out and do the cleaning routine and see if it improves the flow. I only filter cold water for drinking btw, if I'm boiling water for a brew or rehydrating food I just use unfiltered stream water, am I going to die? :shock: :lol:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Not unless you’re too close to HMNB Clyde :lol:
WSC
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

lune ranger wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:50 pm Not unless you’re too close to HMNB Clyde :lol:
I live near to HMNB Clyde and used to windsurf in the estuary so I probably glow in the dark already! :grin: