Missing the simple life.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rollindoughnut

Missing the simple life.

Post by rollindoughnut »

I figured you guys would understand this:

I'm 2 weeks back from a brilliant 8 day trip where I rode to Wales and back from Kent, mainly off road, and did a three day tour of the Brecon Beacons whilst there.

It had its hardships, especially the first few days of storms and mud, but I settled into the life of the traveller, comfortably knocking out 8-12hr days but stopping plenty to talk to people or just take in the views. Met some really lovely folk and had a few really deep conversations.

I was glad to return home and am still revelling in the comfort of it all, but scrolling through my photos tonight, I've forgotten all the bad bits and can just see the glorious places I visited.

Have started longing for the next trip.
gairym

Re: Missing the simple life.

Post by gairym »

I hear you!

A week ago today I finished 5.5 days riding the Tuscany Trail (plus an extra day commuting up the coast back to the car).

So a week of living the dream and now a week of readjusting back to work, family and normality and I'm ready to bugger off and do it all again...

Life is simpler tootling around by bike, I miss it so much already!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Perfectly normal. I'm sure it has something to do with removing the 'everyday' and transcending into a place where only pedalling, eating and sleeping matter. We were nomadic for a long time and I think for many of us, that need to 'move' is still deep within us.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Yup.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Definitely. Gets worse as you get older too, sorry! After my first WRT it took me three days to reset my head back to AB-normal and the UN-real world :smile: . Unfortunately the reset didn't 100% work hence inflicting BaM on myself to the tune of 64 in a row - gap between WRTs is far too long to maintain sanity.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

I did a two day Bikepacking event at the weekend and have struggled to get much done this week. Just daydreaming about the next trip and sleeping under the stars. It’s the life for me.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I'm so desperate to escape the monotony that tomorrow I'm completely throwing my weekend under the bus and taking a 'mental health day' (I'll now have to be in the workshop all weekend).

Gonna go do a big fat road/cycle path loop around Lake Geneva :-bd

175km of joy!

It'll be my longest ride in over two years - let's see if I've got it in me.....
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

Totally know what you mean! Was out for three weeks last year and probably better than sex.

I'm moving in with my girlfriend and will have a really good rental income from my flat so I can stop working, have someone to hold the fort and feed my cats so I can disappear for long periods of time.

Isn't she a lucky lady?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm moving in with my girlfriend
Was out for three weeks last year and probably better than sex.
Are you sure that's wise? :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:56 am
I'm moving in with my girlfriend
Was out for three weeks last year and probably better than sex.
Are you sure that's wise? :wink:
Immediately noticed those two not entirely compatible juxtaposed statements as well but didn't want to say owt :wink: . Worryingly my other immediate reaction was 'ah yes'....

Out for 3 weeks and that being better than 3 weeks of the alternative is probably pushing it a bit though...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
trob6

Post by trob6 »

Yes almost all the time.
Life is simple on a bike.
Tim
What's the worst than can happen?
gairym

Post by gairym »

gairym wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:51 pm I'm so desperate to escape the monotony that tomorrow I'm completely throwing my weekend under the bus and taking a 'mental health day' (I'll now have to be in the workshop all weekend).

Gonna go do a big fat road/cycle path loop around Lake Geneva :-bd

175km of joy!

It'll be my longest ride in over two years - let's see if I've got it in me.....
I. Am. Broken.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

:-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I think, for me it happens about day five/six. You can ride all day, sunrise to sunset. For me not fast but your body has adapted, it processes food differently, it’s just fuel. Ride, eat, sleep and repeat.
It’s almost like meditating, existing only within your own forward motion. I think it’s why I can’t listen to music while cycling, it intrudes on this simple state of mind. It’s addictive in its simplicity, I can easily see why people cycle around the planet.
I’d be lying if I said the feeling will pass, my longest stint on the bike was 16 days, five years later I still miss it.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

Yes, this is exactly what I found. Day five I clicked into the routine and knew I could ride forever. That's an empowering feeling.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I havnt a week out since 2019. However, i have a week booked off from work / home / life very soon and cant wait.