Rigs (NOT bikes) of the tour divide

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jay91

Re: Rigs (NOT bikes) of the tour divide

Post by jay91 »

ssnowman wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:41 pm
htrider wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:47 pm 44/20 seems a bit optimistic on the pack rat - that one gets my vote though!
That’s pretty hardcore at over 60 gear inches :shock:
I did think that. Nothing wrong with pushing
Trying to ride bikes.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Thoughts, prayers and chammy cream sponsorship for the guy on a 42mm back tyre and that 420mm chainstay gravel bike. Hard as nails, or in for an experience he won't forget (without therapy)?

A lot of the bikes are tourers I think, based on the number saying "riding (not racing)" - so touring the route early season vs racing the TD grand depart. Would love to be setting off there without any real plans.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:23 pm Would that be to repair all the tailfin racks?
I was thinking of all the carbon frames with huge bar bags rubbing the headtubes for 2000 miles.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

johnnystorm wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:37 pm
PaulB2 wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:23 pm Would that be to repair all the tailfin racks?
I was thinking of all the carbon frames with huge bar bags rubbing the headtubes for 2000 miles.
With Rackpacking being trendy I'm surprised more aren't rocking a front rack, though I suppose that doesn't mix that well with a carbon fork.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

PaulB2 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:07 am
johnnystorm wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:37 pm
With Rackpacking being trendy I'm surprised more aren't rocking a front rack, though I suppose that doesn't mix that well with a carbon fork.
Is that for real?? So all the tailfins are due to it being trendy? Madness
stevenshand

Post by stevenshand »

in the morning, I roll up my tent, pad and sleep robe like a burrito, stuff it in the large bag, and I’m on my way
not sure if genius or madness!

(also, that front tyre looks like it would be scarily close to the DT bottles when the fork is compressed :o )
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Have you seen the price for the tailfin £250-£500
The bag alone is £150 and the cheaper rack is £250
Amazed anyone pays that for a rack but at 400g [ lighter if frame mounted] its not actually that much more than a rear bag

yes that fork is going to hit that bottle my only question is which one it hits first
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm going with madness ... let's pack the dry stuff with the damp stuff. Yeah that'll be fun after a day or two.

Also 'sleeping robe? Does he mean bag or .....
May the bridges you burn light your way
faustus

Post by faustus »

The alloy tailfin without bag is much cheaper, and weight still OKish...

How about the bike with a full length Narwhal tusk on the front. Are they planning to joust?
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

faustus wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:57 am The alloy tailfin without bag is much cheaper, and weight still OKish...

How about the bike with a full length Narwhal tusk on the front. Are they planning to joust?
I always wonder about the stability of the bike when using a Narwhal. I suppose on very long straight roads it would be ok. Probably not much use in UK though.

Has anyone on here tried one?
May satan walk with you
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There's a homeless bloke I sometimes see with a push bike. His 'luggage' consists of some carrier bags, a few bungees and a Lidl shopping bag and his bike looks neater and better packed than that ^.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

The alloy tailfin without bag is much cheaper
It s £250 if you cannot do frame mounting - which is what i was quoting the others at so no real price difference
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

A few mug danglers in there too :roll:
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I’d knock a few setups but then I realised, they’re doing the ride and I’m not, so fair play to them :-bd
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

voodoo_simon wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:38 am I’d knock a few setups but then I realised, they’re doing the ride and I’m not, so fair play to them :-bd

This. Live and let live
jameso

Post by jameso »

JohnClimber wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:05 am A few mug danglers in there too :roll:
As above, they're setting off to ride/race 2500 miles across the midwest and sleep out among the bears. Dangle away whatever you like, I say :-bd
Wear a 10 gallon hat and spurs if you like :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I’d knock a few setups but then I realised, they’re doing the ride and I’m not, so fair play to them :-bd
In fairness, it is generally good natured p1sstaking and observation.

Something I don't quite understand is with all the talk of 'touring', then why not simply go and ride it whenever rather than join the GD? Does it perhaps somehow devalue the TD GD?*

*I suppose that's a genuine question for those that've ridden and most likely raced it.
Bedmaker

Post by Bedmaker »

Some fairly odd, and unexpected responses here.
Much more STW in tone.
I'm quite happy to see a mash up of different stuff lashed to the bike, it works just as well as the Insta- ready matchy matchy approach.

I think part of the issue is that what we see online is somebody trying to flog gear. It needs to look good, along with the perfect gravel it's usually pictured riding on...

A solid rack just works, and has several advantages over a seat pack along with the obvious disadvantage of a slight weight increase.

The pics of those bikes, to me, reek of freedom and a bunch of lucky folk about to have a great time. For the most part, with nothing to prove and nothing to flog.

And if someone wants to take a laptop and flip flops, fair play 😂
jameso

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:15 pm
In fairness, it is generally good natured p1sstaking and observation.

Something I don't quite understand is with all the talk of 'touring', then why not simply go and ride it whenever rather than join the GD? Does it perhaps somehow devalue the TD GD?*

*I suppose that's a genuine question for those that've ridden and most likely raced it.
Sure, constructive criticism and a bit of pisstaking is what we'd do for each other's set ups too.

I did wonder about the touring or 'riding not racing' notes at first but the article says they found racers as well as tourers about to set off from the border.
The TD is the race in June or an ITT, the route is the GDMTBR. The TD GD doesn't benefit from increased numbers so if you're touring that's great (and you can be racing 100% whether it takes you 14 or 30 days) but touring the route is not the Tour Divide. Pedant, yeah I suppose. The TD just seems to be the better known term, better marketed than the GDMTBR. You can get a bike designed for the TD and everything now ;)
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:15 pm
Does not devalue it for me. They are there for something else, they just want to be part of the palava that is the depart. Who can blame them, it is a unique environment.

FWIW, when I go back I plan to ITT in my own time - not GD again.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

stevenshand wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:38 am
in the morning, I roll up my tent, pad and sleep robe like a burrito, stuff it in the large bag, and I’m on my way
Pretty standard approach - I had my mat (small eXped one) and PhD bag together most of the way down. Faster for those evenings I didn't use the bivi bag - they were quite frequent either under lean toos, front porches, or in the 24 rural postoffice :)

Only wrapped in the bivi on those few days where I woke up shivering and wanted to get moving to warm up - I'd stop later to strip it all and dry in the sun. Never took long at altitude.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm quite happy to see a mash up of different stuff lashed to the bike, it works just as well as the Insta- ready matchy matchy approach.
It's 'lash' that bothers me. I've no problems with racks and in some cases, they'll prove the best tool for the job. To be honest, many bikes in the pictures would benefit from having a rack fitted to save the owners from having to 'lash' all the crap to the outside.
Do you think that'd be the case if you hadn't already done it Greg?
jameso

Post by jameso »

They are there for something else, they just want to be part of the palava that is the depart.
This is a good point, I remember the car park of the GD being a real mix of people and a great atmosphere. No thoughts of who was racing or touring, just chat and nervous/excited energy. Palava sums it up. And that was a year where 140 or so started out, perhaps one of the peak 'Ride the Divide' effect years.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:47 pm
Do you think that'd be the case if you hadn't already done it Greg?
No, had I not already had a run on it I'd be going for the GD. Again, that palava is something special.

I remember sitting on my bike chatting with random people after getting a coffee before the start. I'd been standing in the que chatting with Chris Plesko whos family he was putting a massive order in for. Waved at Mike who was chatting to Josh Kato at the time. Talked crap with the other GB based riders. Spent my time trying to not make direct eye contact with Crazy Larry. Good times.

ImageDSC00204-Pano.jpg by Greg.May, on Flickr
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

jameso wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:30 pm...touring the route is not the Tour Divide.
Presumably referring to the "Race Divide" would raise some uncomfortable truths in the US?*

*Not that they have a monopoly on this.