Titus Fireline?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

restlessshawn

Titus Fireline?

Post by restlessshawn »

Ignoring the obvious Planet X love / hate anyone got or ridden one as a do it all hard tail? Mostly trails and bit of bikepacking.

Looking for a new hard tail 29er with 2.6 tyre clearance and we’ll ti is shiney 🙃
pistonbroke

Re: Titus Fireline?

Post by pistonbroke »

In Reverse has or has had one and speaks highly. I worked at PX when they were launched, built quite a few. The V1 had 2 issues from the factory, seat tubes were oversize so post slipping issue and the rear disc mount spacing was too small for the calipers and had to be filed to fit, hence the nickname Fileline. Quite long and low so stable at speed, not the most responsive tubing but pretty bulletproof if heavy. If buying new, keep the receipt, you may need it, if used check all the welds carefully.
yourguitarhero

Post by yourguitarhero »

There's a new one out now which is what I believe the OP is referring to.

I have the one you're talking about (though the Evo - mine doesn't seem to have those issues you mentioned).
I really like it. it's my general bikepacking/XC/trail bike depending on tyres and rigid/sus fork on it.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I have one and think it's the "version" after Fileline.

Love it.

But - first one had a baggy seat tube, changed no real quibble. Rear wheel clearance looks small, though in practice it's never been an issue or suffered from blockage. It's a single front ring frame, unless you want to bodge.

I haven't ridden loads of bikes and hesitate to disagree with Piston but as a frame / build it's never struck me as "long and low". Possibly because I've always tried to run longer forks (110 to 140mm). Whatever, it's a fairly comfy place to be and it's great fun to ride, particularly a bit of tech stuff and with a bit of speed. Being 29" wheel it's better with bolt thru forks and stiffer wheels (IMO).

No idea about the latest model and it doesn't *look* as pretty as the earlier versions :wink: At the right price I doubt you'd regret getting one.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Yeah, ridden mine a lot - it's on about 14000km. The Evo version got rid of the early manufacturing issues that pistonbroke mentioned and mine's been good as gold. It's taken an absolute hammering tbf,

A few other people on here have one too

It's definitely not long and low. :lol:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Why not get a nice shiny steel one. Maybe off of Shand or the likes. After considering the long long term impact of carbon, steel and ti, I'm firmly back in the steel dept. Just got the steel road bike built up (with carbon forks and back end) and its lovely.

Maybe check fleabay for some lovely Independent Fab frame :-bd Don't get ti is my 2 or 3 pence
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Thanks for the comments, it’s the latest one I was looking at, need some magic Planet X pricing shenanigans....

Shaf, yeah all my current bikes are steel however steel mtbs where ruined by cen testing about 2010 imo and now all seem to be boat anchors for the most part. Apart from the price I don’t want a Shand anyway. I would like a Ritchey* but apart from the cost of the frame parts to build bikes are too hard to get.

*another Ritchey I already have a swiss cross
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Ritchey frame :YMPARTY: :YMPARTY:
Nice...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Like the look of the rigid version. Hmmmm